“Attractive decor with mediocre food.”

Amadeu's Restaurant
Ranked #3,011 of 8,473 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Portuguese, Latin, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Barrie, Canada
“Attractive decor with mediocre food.”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My friend and I were in Kensington Market. We wanted lunch and we were attracted to the lovely patio at Amadeu's. The waitress brought us a menu to look at so we decided to eat there.

The wine selection was sad. Only ONE house white and red. I found the wine bitter; it tasted like it had been sitting in an open bottle for while. My friend drank my wine since I couldn't even finish it.

The calamari my friend ordered was arranged beautifully on the plate, but she said that it tasted bland. I ordered a hamburger and fries. The burger tasted wonderful but I didn't like the way toppings were added without asking me what I liked. I never put mayo on my hamburgers and it was added. My fries were translucent with oil and I could only eat a few of them.

The waitress appeared to be quite young and while she was very personable, she was forgetful and slow. The patio was not even busy! The waitress did not even bring us NAPKINS and I did not like the paper place mats.

If the management spent as much money on a decent chef and waitstaff as they do on décor, Amadeu's would be a great restaurant. I am shocked that Toronto Life voted this place as one of the best in the city more than twice. Must have been dismal years.

• Visited August 2013

Keswick, Canada
“Very affordable :)”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Service was ok because poore girl was all byherself on all restaurant including patio, both busy. I am sure 2 waitresses would be pretty busy. Prices are really good for downtown Toronto. Glass of wine $ 5.50, 20oz of draft $ 4.75 and free peanuts. Sunny day on patio..happy, happy. Didn't ordered food, because I know it would forever, I felt bad for our running server.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Best Summer Restaurant”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have known this place since I was a little child. I believe this place is worth going to in the summer to enjoy their patio. Especially on a Sunday they have a jazz band which is great ! Now one thing is right, This restaurant is known for their BIFE A CASA ( Steak Portuguese Style ) The best you will ever have. The rest of the menu is pretty traditional very good fish plates aswell.. But please do go and try the traditional CALDO VERDE AND BIFE A CASA ! You will love it on a Summer day enjoying the breeze and with a COLD BEER ! =]

BTW.. $$ is for the patio .. and $$$ when sitting in their dining lounge.. There is a difference when it comes to presentation and atmosphere when sitting in the lounge.. more for a formal dinner.. patio is great for summer days also a great atmosphere..

• Visited October 2012
toronto
“Terrible restaurant”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We went on a beautiful sunny day when it wasn't busy. They brought us tap water that was dirty - not sure whether it was the glass or water. The server replaced the glass but wasn't troubled by this. The food took over 45 mins to get there and it was a simple order. Once it arrived the waiter had the order incorrect. He said that he heard me say fried not grilled (calamari) but i replied that I had pointed to it on the menu and my daughter supported that I said grilled. He offered to exchange but I said no, we had been there too long already. There was no bill adjustment.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank drfamily
Toronto, Canada
“Great Portuguese cuisine in Kensington market”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Craving Portuguese food, four of us went back to Amadeu's for the first time in over a year. Happily, standards have not dropped: the bacalhau à braz was as good as any we've had in Portugal and the pork Alentejo style just excellent. We were seated on the quiet north patio and our server was attentive, knowledgeable and discreet. A great dining experience; we can't wait to go back.

• Visited August 2012