“What a Wonderful Surprise!”

Sandman Signature Toronto Airport Hotel
Ranked #44 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We usually stay at an airport hotel for strictly utilitarian reasons.... we're at the end of a trip, have an early start the next day and don't want to cope with much driving or unexpected traffic. Generally we expect a basic, clean, quiet hotel with a decent restaurant.

Imagine our surprise when we walked into the Sandman, saw a strikingly attractive, large lobby, were greeted warmly by a young woman at the desk, dispatched rapidly to our room on the 5th floor, opened the door & found it very handsome indeed, quite spacious, in fact, with two large queen beds, a sitting area (this was a standard room) and great bathroom that included a huge make-up mirror, bless their hearts-- and lacked only a shower cap to score "perfect plus" on our rating chart.

In addition, the restaurant was pretty jazzy, the service rapid, and they actually served quite good food. We were astonished. And delighted. Top marks to these folks.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kaygee38

Reviewed November 7, 2008

This a is a newish hotel (2007) less than 10 minutes from the airport but other than the fact that outside you see and hear aircraft landing you get no disturbance. We were on the 16th floor in the penthouse suite but in reality you pay no more for this than any other room. There are two Queen Ann beds that are very comfortable (I often have difficulties with hard mattresses but these were fine. We also had a good view across the golf course being on the front of the hotel. The rooms are clean and spacious with a small balcony, we also had a microwave and fridge. The bathroom is fine, although the shower was not a walk-in there being a bath as well. Its dark furniture with a modern minimalist look but rooms are kept clean and staff are friendly particularly on the front desk. We got the impression it was a good place to work and had a very relaxed atmosphere. Its very handy obviously for the airport but as were attending a conference at the Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship only a few hundred yards away it was ideal. The only down-side was that the restaurant (Maxi's) was a bit slow with service and getting milk for our tea (being English!) seemed to be a problem. You can get a 58 bus a short walk away and then the tube in to Toronto which takes over an hour (its 20 miles) or a taxi for $50(can). All in all we highly recommend the Sandman and would happily stay there again.

1  Thank jimboSheffieldUK
Reviewed October 23, 2008

What a wonderful gem. I am in the hotel industry and I think they do a wonderful job at this hotel! The staff were terrific! Front desk were all very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful and accommodating. The rooms are lovely, clean and well appointed. Much of the decor reminds me of a W hotel rich brown tones. Lots of very nice small touches like the apples, the honor bar in the lobby, a coffee shop in the lobby and a really terrific restaurant for dinner - the food was great for dinner. The service staff in the restaurant were equally friendly and do a terrific job! Business center was free and internet was as well. I would absolutely stay here again, I look forward to the next time I have the opportunity to stay at another Sandman Hotel.

Reviewed October 9, 2008

This was my first stay near the Toronto airport in several years. I was pleasantly surprised!!

LOCATION-
About as close to the airport as you could be. The shuttle was waiting for us when we walked out (we called before we went through customs).

LOBBY-
Striking is probably the best word. Very, very modern with sort of a "W-ish" feel. It's extremely modern, almost with a hard edge.
You are definitely impressed and curious about what the rest of the hotel looks like.

SERVICE-
It was hit or miss. No one was rude, unhelpful, or unpleasant. However, some were friendlier than others. I was kind of getting the vibe that they probably aren't the happiest employees in the world. Just a feeling I got.

ROOMS-
Very nice. Luckily not as modern as the lobby. Very warm, inviting and cozy. The bedding was lovely and there was a very nice sitting area with a couch and 2 chairs. The bathroom was fabulous! Great tub/shower with cool toiletry items. Almost felt luxurious.

THE NEGATIVE-
If it wasn't for a few small things I would have probably given them an excellent. One was the inconsistent staff. The 2nd was scuff marks. Yes, scuff marks. In the hallways and in the guest rooms there were myriad scuff marks where luggage, etc has hit the walls. The fact they aren't clean/fixed shows a real lack of cleaning detail. In addition, there were a couple of spots on the carpet where it was fraying.

This is a gorgeous hotel with great rooms. However, it will be a run-down 3rd tier property in a few years if the maintenance and cleaning isn't kept up!!

I would definitely stay here again...at least for now!

Reviewed September 17, 2008

My boyfriend surprised me for my birthday with a trip to the Sandman Hotel by the airport. It was AMAZING.

When we arrived at the Sandman, the desk clerk (I believe his name was Munir) suggested that we upgrade to a nicer room w. a Jacuzzi and separate living area for only an extra 30 bucks (we had booked on hotels.com, and got a really great rate for the room we originally booked, so an extra 30 dollars was nothing). Once the man said Jacuzzi I was sold. Lol.

Upon entering our room I believe I actually squealed with delight! It was gorgeous! Very spacious, very clean, modern, and classy. The room we were upgraded to had a full kitchen -- big fridge, stove, microwave, pots and pans, cooking utensils, coffee maker, kettle, and toaster! It also had a living room w. a flat screen TV and a huge window with a view of the golf course. The bathroom was beautiful, by far the cleanest hotel bathroom I have ever seen and most modern looking...it even had a full laundry machine and dryer!

Now...the best part, by far HAD to be the bedroom. The afore mentioned Jacuzzi? Is actually situated IN the bedroom. It was WICKED. The bed itself was also lovely and very comfortable.

Another cool feature was that the floor was covered in a carpet that is meant to look like hardwood floor...hard to explain, you have to see this for yourself.

You can even order food to your room from the Moxie's restaurant situated in the Hotel (we got breakfast...note--don't get the French toast...it was entirely drenched in a VERY sweet strawberry syrup).

Overall, we ADORED this hotel and will definitely be returning! It was a lovely way to celebrate my birthday, but I would also highly recommend it to those in need of somewhere to stay when having to stop over in Toronto as it is located very close to the airport. Also, it seemed that the shuttle service there was excellent as we say several coming and going during our stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2008

My fiancee and I are planning to stay at the Sandman for the first night of our honeymoon. We are also hosting our rehearsal dinner at Moxie's Restaurant at the hotel the day before.

Front desk, restaurant management and serving staff were absolutely awesome helping us plan the dinner. The server offered us each a cup of coffee while the two of us made plans. When it came time to settle our bill, the server refused to accept any payment whatsoever.

Several weeks earlier a staff person at the front desk escorted us to see the room we had reserved earlier by phone.

We are just so impressed with how well we were treated each time we were at or had any dealings with the hotel.

Kudos to the management and all the staff. You are wonderful!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2008

This was a fairly new hotel was it was booked, it was still on a 'soft opening'.
I booked through CAA and got an excellent rate of $99 CAD per night, and that included 2 weeks of parking! They also provided a free shuttle to and from the airport.
My first thought when I saw the hotel was "clean" and "green apples".
The check in was fast, and when I walked to the front counter and said my name one of the staff members noted that 2 bookings had been made under my name. He cancelled one of them so I didn't get charged for 2 rooms.
They had a restaurant attached, I didn't use those facilities, but they give you a peice of paper to charge it to your room should you use it.
When you exit onto your floor there is a mirror with a ledge on it, where they placed green apples (nice touch).
My room was big and had 2 double beds and I was able to control the temperature from there, lots of towels were provided in the room as well.
The only complaint that most people might have is, AIRPLANES!!!
You can hear the airplanes constantly, but if you have a problem with that, then don't stay overnight at an airport hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank RaeJay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Radisson Suite Hotel Toronto Airport
Delta Toronto East
Delta Toronto East
#65 of 138 in Toronto
Best Western Plus Travel Hotel Toronto Airport

Been to Sandman Signature Toronto Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!