“Wonderful layover”

Sandman Signature Toronto Airport Hotel
Ranked #43 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Layover because my flight got delayed. The hotel however was very nice, clean, large room and comfortable bed. They provided free transport to and from the airport. The restaurant had a unique and fun ambiance and the bar tender was very friendly. I was very tired and in a horrible mood after my ordeal at the airport. The hotel staff and put me at ease and made me feel comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Noisy, elevator breakdown. Did get a 10 per cent reduction. Nothing special. Moxie bar OK. Will not be back. Air conditioning very noisy. This is a poor hotel. Cannot compete with larger brands. Would not recommend. There are better choices in the airport area.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gorlinjay
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were here for one night at our airline's expense due to a missed connection.

We spent quite a bit of time in the hotel, but since we didn't have our luggage we didn't try out any of the amenities (gym, pool, etc.).

Our room was excellent. Not much of a view, but the room itself was very nice - a nice separate bedroom, nice, a kitchen, and a sitting area. Everything was clean and modern.

The shuttles to and from the airport were on time and the trip is only a few minutes.

I would recommend this hotel for stopovers. It's in the middle of nowhere so not a great place for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This was my 3rd stay here for a three day business trip. Too many things went wrong and will never come back. I'll list my complaints:

1. Checked in late on Wednesday. No one was in the lobby except the two ladies behind the desk. They looked at and them continued their private discussion that seemed to not be business-related. After about 3 min and noticed the look on my face was getting more angry about the lack of customer service, one of them actually asked me "Do you need to check in?". I thought long and hard about a sarcastic remark along the lines of "Me? No, I just like to hang out at hotel registration desks with luggage in tow." These people are obviously not that well trained.

2. After finally checking in and getting my key, I took the elevator to the 14th floor, walked to room 1409, and inserted the key. Red light. Tried it again. Red light, Switched to other key and repeated. Same result. So, I had to turn around and go back down to lobby to find out why the idiot gave me a key that wouldn't open the door. They were again talking among themselves, but I just walked up and interrupted them instead of waiting for them to acknowledge my presence. Explained the problem. Look on her face suggested she thought I was the idiot and didn't know how to use the key. She made a new set, handed it back, and turned her back on me to continue her conversation with no apology whatsoever. Took the elevator back to 1409 and key worked and opened the door.

3. I unpacked and then decided to watch a little TV before going to restaurant for dinner. Layed down on the bed and turned on the TV. There was probably 30-40 channels but every channel had no much electrical interference that it was unwatchable. It was like watching TV in in the 80s when the screen reception was bad. Since I have an electrical engineering degree, it was obvious the hotel used inferior cabling in the hotel and was picking up massive amounts of interference from somewhere. So no TV in my room during my stay.

4. I have a neck injury that requires icing 3 times a day. Picked up the ice bucket and went to the ice machine on my floor. Pressed the button for ice and nothing. Kept pressing the button but no ice dropped. I shook the machine real hard and could not hear any ice moving around in the machine. So it was broken. Took the bucket to the floor above and below me. Same result. Went back to my room and called the front desk. Asked her if ice machines were a service they supplied at the hotel and was told yes. I told her every ice machine I went too had no ice in it. Then, and this is classic, she asked me if I tried every ice machine on every floor of the hotel. I asked her if it was normal hotel policy for hotel customers to go looking for ice like it was an easter egg hunt. Her gave me a heavy sigh, said she would report it to maintenance, then just hung up on me.

The Sandman is one of the hotels my global corporation has contracted with for rates and is recommended to all employees to stay there. I filed a report with our travel services group about my experience and suggested they reconsider their decision when the contract is up. They agreed that at least the Sandman in Toronto needs to be looked into.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. They do not understand the concept of customer service.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DenverJim
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed here for one night on 30Nov as a stopover from Halifax to Provo. Airp-ort Shuttle service runs every 30 minutes and was on time for airport pick up and the next morning back to the airport. Check in was efficient and our room had 2 queen beds. We were on a higher floor and I expected to hear airport noise but we did not! Not much room between the one queen bed and the desk but we made do. Bathroom was small but functional. Room had a room safe which is a rareity for TO airport hotels!

Convenient to have Moxie's off the lobby area as there was no other close restaurant for dinner. Had a great dinner; waiter was exuberant! The gals who work here do dress quite sluttily...

Only complaint was I had was I had to search 4 floors with ice machines to finally find one which actually had ice!

Would stay here again if the price was as good as this time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We were here for one night at Air-Canada`s expense as a result of a missed connection. We did not have much opportunity to explore the hotel overall but the room was very nice, clean and spacious with a full kitchen, sitting area and bedroom. We had a take away dinner from and ate a quick breakfast at the attached Moxies and used the shuttle which runs twice an hour to get between the hotel and the airport. Probaly best suited for business trips. Service was good although people checking in very late as we did may have difficulty getting food after midnight.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

After leaving my mouse track pad in one of the rooms I had called from home to confirm that it was left there. After speaking with the front desk I was transferred over to a gentlemen that was apart of the lost & found department. He had picked up the phone and told me to hold on. The call was dropped. An understandable mistake. However when I called again the man said he will look for it and just hung up the phone.

My phone number nor my name was taken down, I had to call a third time to have been properly put on hold for 5-10min from front desk in order to get my confirmation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Radisson Suite Hotel Toronto Airport
Delta Toronto East
Delta Toronto East
#64 of 137 in Toronto
Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre

Been to Sandman Signature Toronto Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!