“Great Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 133 Hotels in Toronto
Sydney, Australia
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I've just returned from a 2 night stay at the Hazelton and it was everything I hoped for and more. The junior suite I had was beautiful, and the staff were incredibly professional. Absolutely nothing was a problem. I've stayed in many hotels throughout the world and this was one of the best.

I needed stockings urgently early one morning and no stores were open...concierge had some. Little business centre on every floor. Room service was quick and food was great, and there are also plenty of good restaurants within 2 blocks of the hotel. When I was leaving, they offered me a bottle of water for my journey....and that was hours after I'd checked out (I'd gone back to retrieve my bags). Town car provided for me to get to meeting one morning.

Though it costs more than most Toronto hotels, you really do get a fair bit more for the money....great rooms and impeccable service. It would be my first choice place to stay at in Toronto again.

• Liked — The rooms and service.
  • Disliked — The price....but it really was worth the extra money.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
Toronto
Reviewed September 24, 2008

I will start with the positives - well-furnished and spacious rooms. Bathrooms were immense and luxurious. They clearly put some money in the design and structure of the physical property.

The negatives - the staff seemed lost, amateurish service. It's as if they have never worked in 5 star hotel before. A sense of inexperience bordering on incompetence pervaded the front desk area. The manager on duty wasn't much better - a look of blankness at each question i asked. This may be acceptable at a Holiday Inn in a small town but not at a self-proclaimed 5 star hotel.

Too many posers in the restaurant/bar - think orange tans a la George Hamilton, sunglasses at night and 60 year old men smoking cigars with too many buttons undone. The restaurant/bar seemed to attract this crowd for our entire stay (and we were after the Film Festival!!) - people trying way too hard on the patio. That being said, the restaurant/bar was attractive, the food was above average (what you would expect from a McEwen property) and the patio has a great location on Yorkville Ave.

Spa was cr*p. The spa at the nearby Park Hyatt is much better. Both are not cheap but at least at the Park Hyatt you get a quality service.

It seems as if the hotel is popular and busy now (it's only been opened for a year or so) but once the newness factor wears off, the negative word of mouth spreads and the Four Season completes its renovations, its popularity will quickly fade. Like all trends/fads without any substance, it will disappear eventually.

I usually prefer the Four Seasons, the Sutton Place or the Windsor Hotel in Toronto but gave this hotel a try because it was relatively new and the extensive media coverage it is getting. Would not return as there are better options.

Paid Cdn$500+/night.

• Stayed September 2008
6 Thank horatiojml
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 3, 2008

This hotel is definitely one of the best city hotels I've stayed, period. It really reminded me of Four Seasons Hotel in NYC but imagine more personalized and chic! The room was spacious, the bathroom was exactly how I would love to remodel my home bathroom if budget was limitless, the staff were attentive but not in your face.

I stayed there on business, but wished I was there just for pleasure. The desk had two chairs which I thought was a nice touch, I always find when I stay in hotels with similar layout I move the desk chair around to face the other way then to find it moved back after the room was cleaned. Lots of power outlets by the desk, no need to crawl under the desk to plug your laptop. I loved the big Vogue book and interior decor book, nice touch!

The fridge was stocked with complimentary soft drinks and bottled water, there were three different kinds of tea plus a kettle - nice not to have to use the coffee machine to make hot water. Fresh milk and cream in the fridge, I've stayed in deluxe hotels that still carry the scary powdered milk but you won't find that at the Hazelton.

The bathroom was absolutely lovely. The TV had great sound system so you can hear it even while the water was running. Everything was so luxe, thick bathrobes, Bulgari amenities, marble everywhere (almost wiped out in the shower a few times), deep soaker tubs... Make up mirror was very useful.

I tried room service and also dined in One Restaurant. Room service was very prompt, food came very hot and presentation was very nice. The restaurant was packed even though I dined on a Tuesday night. Service in the restaurant was great in general except for the server assigned to our table, he kept getting our orders confused and was quite rude. Other servers seemed to try to pick up his mistakes and apologize for him. Food was fabulous but portion was small considering they were sharing plates. There was a great buzz in the restaurant throughout the night, it is definitely a great place for cocktails with friends as well as for power dinners / client entertaining.

Room attendants called me by my name, they were all very attentive and pleasant. Concierge was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Location was fantastic, if you need to go downtown it is a bit of a hike and taxi bills added up. Many taxi drivers didn't know about the hotel and I had to explain to them how to get there numerous times. I travel to Toronto very frequently, now I have a new favourite hotel. So many hotels nowadays call themselves "boutique" but in fact they are just boutique-style. This hotel is a true luxury boutique hotel, intimate, personalized, stylish in a tasteful fashion in a fabulous location. If my budget permits I will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Stylish, great service, big rooms and bathroom
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Iloveboutiquehotels
UK
Reviewed August 17, 2008

This was an excellent place to stay. Just the two of us, without kids, so we really enjoyed the sophistication and style of this hotel. The location was fine, plenty of upscale shopping nearby. The hotel staff could not have been more friendly, efficient or helpful.

We would stay here again in the blink of an eye!

• Liked — Sophistication and service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Barrie
Reviewed July 12, 2008

What an amazing hotel. Stunning design, sleek and modern but comfortable. Such great service. Every request was more that fulfilled. The rooms were extremely comfortable. The bed was dreamy, the bath enormous. Easily my favorite hotel in Canada. One restaurant is incredible. Great food and scene. Not cheap but worth it for the extra special details.

Stayed July 2008
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Very good hotel with amazing decor, feel and has great staff. Perfect location in the heart of Yorkville, 5 stars all the way. Great job Hazelton, keep up the great work.

Good points:
- Perfect location
- Small size hotel and is new unlike the other hotels in TO
- It is the “it” hotel to stay in Toronto and even in Canada
- You almost feel like you are in a cool European hotel
- Cool bathrooms
- Nice pool and spa - but should have outdoor areas to enjoy for guest - but very nice pool
- Amazing bath rooms with a very cool look
- Good beds – very cozy and elegant
- Nice art work within the hotel
- Best new rooms in TO
- Very clean hotel
- Good staff
- Nice lobby area with an ultra cool vibe

Other things to keep in mind
- It is not a high rise hotel, therefore the views or just al right
- It is new but not Four Seasons prefect
- ONE (the hotel's dining room) - is just ok, it has the service and looks but food is only so so
- Very pricy $$$, restaurant prices where outrages ($7.00 for a glass of OJ, $20.00 for French toast plus taxes and service charges, in my option it’s not worth it.

All in all very nice! We will come back. It was all good, but we can wait until the new Four Seasons opens up, that will be the best hotel in Canada

• Liked — Nice new fresh hotel
  • Disliked — All good but pricy
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank Wowtravels
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2008

I was not sure what to expect from the Hazelton after reading some of the other TripAdvisor member reviews. I wanted somewhere decent to stay in Toronto and the options seemed limited; the Four Seasons looked average, the Intercontis both tired. The Hazelton, however, is brand new. It is in the highest price bracket in Toronto but I think it is just about worth it. My thoughts on my room were that it was immaculately clean; bedding was changed every day, dusted etc....everything was very comfortable. The bathroom had a rain shower and sunken tub (about three foot deep). The room was also equipped with a 42 inch LCD television and DVD player. The pantry was stocked with high quality tea and coffee and complimentary soft drinks in the fridge. Room size was around 400 sq ft and also had a small balcony. Although it didn't bother me, the back of the hotel looks out onto the Hazelton Lanes goods vehicle service entrance. However, no view in the Hazelton hotel is that good, even from the front. Overall, a very good opinion on the quality of room, with top marks for cleanliness; a nightly turn-down service is provided. Good marks for being ultra quiet - I was not disturbed by any noise whatsover; in this respect the Hazelton is very discreet for people who want to enjoy some peace and quiet (although the front of the hotel may well be noiser from the busy street/restaurant). Free newspaper was also delivered and good shoe shine.. My thoughts on the rest of the hotel: quality ambience and design thoroughout; spa services were professional. Concierge Dean was friendly and helpful and ready to offer advice on local restaurants/bars etc...Moving onto the bar; now here I think the bar could using some retooling. For a five star hotel I would expect to see more cocktails on the menu (only a handful shown), and certainly made with a shaker. Improvement could be made here. I cannot comment on the lunch/dinner menu in One restaurant apart from to say it is patronised by alot of locals; expect to see plently of flash European cars parked outside the Hazelton; however, my breakfast order of Eggs Benedict was delivered lukewarm, same with the decaff.
Overall, my thoughts on the Hazelton is that it is a good hotel in the luxury market, and can lay some claim to being one of the best in Toronto; I think certainly more luxurious than the Four Seasons.

Stayed June 2008