“The Hazelton RULES”
Review of The Hazelton Hotel

The Hazelton Hotel
Ranked #1 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed March 2, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hazelton Hotel in Toronto and loved the boutique ambience and service. It's right in the middle of Yorkville so it's convenient plus some great touches: big room, a sunken bathtub, fantastic restaurant called ONE where we ate at least one meal a day. Loved the ice cream sandwiches delivered through room service at midnight plus a little computer room in the hall so I didn't have to lug my laptop. The concierge and people at the front desk are very friendly and accomodating. And oh, try the spa. It's a calm oasis with wonderful therapists. The coup de gras?...during a white out snow storm they sent a house car to pick me up so I didn't have to bother trying to get a cab. That's SERVICE!
N Rosen

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank naynay04losangeles
There are newer reviews for The Hazelton Hotel

Reviewed February 21, 2008

Living in Toronto, and desperate for a romantic night away from the kids, my wife and I decided that the Hazelton Hotel would be the destination for a valentines day get-away. From the moment that we checked in, the staff made us feel like royalty. The room was fantastic, and we could have spent the entire stay in the bathroom alone. Who needs a spa when you have a chic, marble throughout facility in your own room? (they have a spa too, which, while we didn't use it, looked quite nice).

We had dinner in the area, and a few cocktails in the hotel bar, the atmosphere was electric and the crowd was quite intriging. When we retired to our room, champagne was delivered and we were able to take full advantage of its luxury.

The television is huge, the couch is cozy, the bed is amazing, the blinds are automatic and again, the bathroom is worth the stay alone. Everything we needed was right at our fingertips, and delivered quickly and without compromise by the pleasant staff.

The breakfast was absolutely devine and when we wanted to extend our stay, a much later check-out was granted to us without any question.

All-in-all, my wife and I had so much fun that we've decided to be tourists in our own city as often as possible, and it's quite likely that we'll be reliving this trip again by staying at the Hazelton Hotel.

I would highly recommend this hotel (and already have) to all my friends.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank toronto_living_2008
Reviewed February 17, 2008

Presently I am writing this review from my room. The business services at the hotel are exceptional.
The concierge team has done a great job of recommending various Toronto sights (and given me hours of operation). But the best part about my stay has been eating at ONE. I called ahead to book by reservation in the dining room (I recommend doing the same as they book out, and don’t hold tables for the hotel guests; I witnessed other guests being turned away). There was still a wait to get our table, but I spent the time in the lounge. What a great atmosphere. The bar staff were beyond efficient and the drinks were amazing. The hostess came and found us in the bar to show us to our table. The food was incredible, and the service was perfect. This morning I am happily enjoying room service, these guys know what they are doing.
I am paying $450 for the room (not bad for a Saturday night in Toronto with a stunning room)

If checkout is anything but perfection I’ll let you know.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a five night stay at this hotel.

We stayed in a deluxe king room which was spacious with a large wardrobe area and a divine bathroom.
The bathroom was probably what I liked best about the room, it has great features like under floor heating and a TV built into the mirror, the over sized tub was also lovely.
The room decor was gorgeous (much like the rest of the hotel), very sleek and modern, and also incredibly clean.
The room has a large flat screen TV, DVD player and free high speed Internet, which were all a nice touch to the room.

Each room has a complimentary minibar, however there is only water, tea/coffee and three different types of soda.
It was nice to have some free beverages but there were no snacks or alcoholic beverages, if you wanted these you had to call room service to have them delivered to your room, the selection was small and very overpriced, and with some of the alcoholic beverages you had to purchase a full sized bottle.
I would have preferred to have a regular well stocked mini bar than the few complimentary beverages in the hotel's current minibar.

The room service menu (with the exception of the late night menu) comes from the hotel's restaurant 'One'.
The menu was varied and the food at One is good, however it's expensive, which isn't helped by the hotel charging guests a CAD$5 delivery fee for room service (on top of the 17% gratuity they add).

Our hotel room faced on to the lane behind the hotel, which firstly wasn't pretty to look at but also was very noisy each morning, so anyone considering this hotel should make sure they're not overlooking this alley.

The apartments on top of the hotel are not complete yet so there was also construction noise, so this is another thing anyone considering staying at the hotel in the near future might want to consider.

On a more positive note the hotel staff are amazingly friendly and helpful, I honestly couldn't praise them enough.

Overall the hotel was comfortable and in a great location. I would stay at this hotel again, but I'd definitely be making sure I had a room facing Yorkville Ave or Hazelton Lane!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chicagohoneymooners
Reviewed December 21, 2007

My husband and i just stayed at the hazelton for a weekend getaway. It was fabulous from start to finish. The decor was amazing ( as a interior decorator i am very critical and i absolutely loved it), the food at the restaurant and room service super yummy, and the service helpful and friendly. A perfectly modern but cozy hotel. I could not possibly think of one thing to complain about except the loud group arriving back to their rooms at 4:00 am!!!

also note- the mini bar that is stocked is complimentay- you can request a fully stocked mini bar brought up to the room anytime.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tarajane
Reviewed October 20, 2007

I approaced my stay with some trepidation based on comments of other travelers. I was pleasently surprised! The rooms are large, well furnished and very clean. The bathrooms have heated floors, rain showers and a tv incorporated in the mirror. I would recommend this hotel without reservation.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Cubs124
Reviewed September 26, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Hazleton last Thursday through Sunday. When we arrived, we were taken to our room ($675/night) and shown around.

The website mentioned that the hotel had balconies, but this room didn't. We asked to be moved, and the only room availble was a smaller room on the second floor -- but it did have a balcony. it took them almost 30 minutes to move us.

We were told that the bathroom would be the same, but when we switched, it wasn't even close. But whatever, at least we had our balcony...

Then we noticed the nonexistent mini bar. Only ginger ale, soda, and diet soda in the room. anything else has to be delivered by room service (i had 2 cans of club soda delived -- $2.75/can, plus delivery charge, plus 17% -- $14.00).

Our balcony faced an alley that is used for emptying dumpsters, so our 2nd floor balcony was miserable to sit on. and on friday night, we sat out there for a smoke / drink after dinner and there was some kind of soot that covered the entire balcony. somehow all of the other 2nd floor balconies had their seat cusions covered, but ours did not, and i'm hoping that our clothes will come clean. the hotel staff said they had never heard of this before - -so tell me why the other balconies had been covered???

the restaurant, one, is awful. the appetizers and salads were average at best. i ordered the huse specialty (braised ontario rabbit) and had to send it back. not only did it arrive 10 minutes before my wife's entree, it was cold, tough, and had no flavor -- basically like eating a soggy piece of cardboard. the truffle risotto side wasn't even close -- basically tasted like a lipton instant risotto pack. bad truffles too.

i asked our waiter what was goinig on in the kitched for their signature dish to be bad, and he said that mark (the owner / chef) was never at the restaurant and that the onsite chef didn't know how to run a kitchen properly.

i asked our waiter if he could point us in the right direction for nearby jazz club, and he recommended we go to nawlins, just a short taxi ride away. when we arrived, the club he suggested was a tourist trap -- filled with typical fat american tourists wearing eagles' jerseys / cheap jeans / etc. my wife was in marni cocktail dress and i was in a zegna coat -- we were looking for a nice night out. i'm quite certain that the other patrons at nawlins idea of a nice night was cheap beer / cheese fries special. it was a horrible suggestion.

of course, the concierge's recommendations weren't any better... the next day we lunch we asked for a nice french restaurant nearby -- the concierge suggested bistro 990, and it was about a 20 minute walk. my wife and i walked all the way to the restaurant -- only to find that it was not open for lunch.

i would never recommend this hotel. bad service, bad advice, no attention to detail -- mediocrity at it's finest. heck, they only provided turn-down service on one of the nights.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple