“Unforgettably delectable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Byblos

Byblos
Ranked #13 of 8,432 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown West
North Bay, Canada
“Unforgettably delectable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

We had an amazing culinary experience at Byblos. We were visiting Toronto and carefully selected this place after a few hours of detailed research on Trip Advisor. Before we arrived, I called to confirm the dress code. Usually I bring enough variety to go to any type of restaurant. But for some reason I failed to pack what I considered would pass for "business casual". Nevertheless and with some trepidation, I arrived in smart jeans, a sweater and flip flops. Not a problem....there were several other couples in jeans! This place is not pretentious. What it is is small, tastefully decorated with an eclectic vibe. We hardly looked at the menu instead relying on our server who was oh so comfortable in choosing several "small" and a few "large" dishes for us. More on service later. We started with a fresh tomato, goat cheese salad that was an explosion of flavour. We then were treated with the "lamb ribs" with buttermilk sauce and carob molasses. Mouthwatering. We then were treated to the BC mussels that were drenched in a spicy sauce with couscous. Our final dish was the dried aged ribeye floating on a creamy concoction of butter and eggplant. Honestly, it was the best ribeye I've ever eaten. This was coupled with the seared cauliflower roasted in duck fat and tahini sauce. I can't boast enough about the amazing flavours in all of the dishes. This restaurant has perfected the art of plating and delivering little portions of heavenly delight. Dessert was scrumptious too. Service at the beginning was spot on. Our server was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Near the end, the service dipped a bit. Almost as if the server either took a break or was busy somewhere else in the restaurant. However, this did not dampen our experience or will it detract from our desire to return in the near future. We will be back!!!! [Dinner with appetizers and 2 glasses of wine affordably priced considering the taste was $150.00,]

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Canada
“A breathtaking dinner - one of the best restaurants in Toronto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014

We've eaten at some great restaurants, but this is my new favourite in Toronto. Everything about our visit was absolutely perfect. We ordered five dishes to share, which seemed about right for us. The two small plates (eggplant and beets) were wonderful, even though I'm not typically a fan of red beets. They were served with the restaurant's barbari bread, which is fabulous on its own merits.

The larger dishes we ordered were the Cornish Hen and the aged ribeye. The chicken was very good; the ribeye was over-the-top delicious. You could make a meal of this alone, it was that good (and that substantial). But probably my favourite of the plates was the brussels sprouts side dish. Oh. My. God. I can't even explain how good it was - my husband and I almost got competitive making sure we got our fair share of this dish. ORDER THE BRUSSELS SPROUTS.

The dessert menu was so awesome, I had to ask the server for help. In the end, my husband and I ordered the Crispy Qatayef and the Yogurt Mousse Cake to share. I'm running out of superlatives for this review, but they were both fabulous - the qatayef consists of four little fried pastries with a cream filling, and the mousse cake is studded with pistachios and covered in a heavenly Persian-inspired cotton candy. Because I love to bake, I'm very picky about the desserts I eat in restaurants, and it takes a lot to impress me. Both desserts impressed me, a lot.

Beyond the food, the staff was wonderful in every way. Our server was charming, friendly and very helpful. The young men who delivered the plates explained every dish as they brought them over. And when my husband was using an iPhone app to see what music was playing, one of the women at the door noticed and offered to check the playlist for him. This was followed up by a man in a suit (possibly one of the owners?) coming over to talk to us about the playlist.

In short, this dinner was one of our best restaurant experiences ever. We'll be back!

1 Thank bakery
Brielle, New Jersey
“Highlight of our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Still thinking about how amazing this restaurant is - from its decor to the passionate and knowledgable staff to the FOODDDDD...it's a perfect 10!!!! We love their small portions with bursting flavor, sophicated culinary style of plating....we were surprised that 3 hours had flew by when our average dining time is usually 1 1/2 hours!!! Definitely looking forward to returning!

Visited August 2014
“Great service and amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Had read many reviews about Byblos. The restaurant lived up to its reputation. Amazing food and outstanding wait staff. Atmosphere was great and decor was fabulous. Will definitely go back!

Houston, Texas
“Best Meal of my Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

We went there with high expectations, and they were exceeded in every way. The server, his name escapes me, offered to bring our group different appetizers and entrées for our group to share. He made amazing choices, and I was very impressed with how easy he made it. For this quality of food, it was reasonably priced.

Also, this is located near Second City, so it was a great pre-show meal.

Visited August 2014