“Perfect location for TIFF”

Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District
Ranked #24 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed at the Residence Inn during TIFF. Great location, as it’s quick walk to the TIFF Bell Lightbox and Princess of Wales theater (which sadly will be torn down). It’s a bit further from the St. Andrews subway, but only a block to King Street and its streetcars and cabs are plentiful.

I had a quiet king studio facing Wellington on the 4th floor. I booked here because of the apartment style accommodations, including the kitchen, which is convenient for in between movie snacks/meals. They also offer a free grocery shopping service, which I did not try, but would the next time. The included breakfast buffet is also a great value, although I wish they would extend it by one hour on weekdays and weekends. Loved the free trade publications in the lobby to read reviews and keep track of the deals made at TIFF.

Some reviewers say this place is expensive, but if you’re looking for a nicely appointed room with a kitchenette and a free breakfast, it’s one of the lower priced alternatives, especially when you have the Ritz Carlton and the Soho Met on the same block. The room is also immaculate, no dust or dirt anywhere. I also appreciated that the room had a ton of outlets so it’s easy to charge all of your electronics. The free WiFi also worked in the room, but the signal wasn’t always consistent.

Some have complained that the elevators are slow, but since I was on a lower floor, I never had to wait more than 30 seconds for an elevator to appear. The staff I interacted with were also friendly and warm.

There were a few things that I was a bit disappointed with. The studio kitchen did not have an oven (but a microwave and a two burner stove top), so some of the website photos are misleading. I found the bath towels to be a bit scratchy and one day the housekeeper turned down the thermostat to 65F! But the thermostat is electronically controlled, so it’s an easy fix, something that other hotels I’ve stayed at in Toronto lack. The tub shower also leaked a puddle onto the bathroom floor no matter how I positioned the shower curtain, but the wet floor was dry once housekeeping was done. There was also a CO or smoke detector in the ceiling that had an annoying blinking light in the dark. None of these things would deter me from staying here again in the future.

Room Tip: Book a lower floor to avoid elevator wait times.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Andrea G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,700)

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Having had a wonderful stay at a Residence Inn in NH the previous week (our first time at a RI), we had high expectations for this hotel. Throw in the good reviews on trip advisor and it surely couldn't go wrong right? How wrong could I have been.

My brother in law's evening wedding was nearby in the distillery district and they had a group rate at the Novotel. How I wish we had booked there or taken the opportunity to stay at Trump or the RC a few doors down from the RI.

We arrived at 6pm, having driven 6 hours to get there, with about an hour to get ready and head out. There was a queue in reception and no marriott elite line in operation. There were people waiting for a room in a seating area and a group in front being told their rooms were not available yet. We were then told we could have a room with no tub. We were given the option to join the queue and wait for our room to be available, downgrade or accept the room with no tub. We needed a tub to get ready (v poor eyesight and needing to shave legs means a bath is pretty much the only way). I enquired about whether there's availability at the RC so we can book into there and was told all of Toronto is sold out (I find this hard to believe). We were downgraded from a suite. We had one hour and had no other choice. We weren't about to let the hotel make us miss the wedding. We got ready and had a great time at the wedding.

Coming back in the middle of the night I enquired if we were getting our points refunded (we booked the stay on points) or if our room was now available? I was happy to move to the correct room and forget about the free night. The gentleman on reception said we would get neither and the room had been given to someone else.

In the morning I enquired at reception about what had since changed re: the free night. After breakfast the front desk manager spoke to me. I explained that at 6pm I would expect my room to be ready and that it seemed a widespread problem that impacted a number of people. I also explained I had been promised a free night due to the downgrade. He said he was unaware of this but if I had been offered that then it would be made good.

After my stay I received an email stating I was offered a free night. However it appears there may have been a misunderstanding in the business of checkin and I was offered free night or parking not both. I've replied confirming free night please and my card can be retrospectively charged for valet. Despite sending a number of e-mails I have not had a reply. A very poor way to treat any customer, let alone an elite.

Not having rooms ready for a 6pm checkin and promising a refund then not bothering to process it is beyond incompetence.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank F1y_away
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about 5 times!! It is a great hotel to stay indeed, especially if you have kids - the rooms are very spacious and it has a full kitchen too!

The staff serve you with a smile - they are warm, caring and helpful - it is what makes this hotel so special. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone, it is in a great location, within walking distance to the subway, shopping mall, CN Tower etc.

Room Tip: View of the CN Tower!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shoelee
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Recently stayed here for a long weekend. This was a great hotel. The standard room is very large with a nice kitchen and pull out sofa. As with all Marriotts, the bed was comfy. The location of this hotel is perfect. Many restaurants and bars within a short walking distance and Rodgers stadium is right down the street. You can catch a bus, subway or street car to other main areas of Toronto like Young street and the CNE ( or take a long walk). We walked to the water front from the hotel and it was great. Service was excellent. Tip...much cheaper to not use the valet parking. There is an underground garage right behind the hotel that offers $10 overnight parking on the weekends. Simply walk from the garage to the hotel. Breakfast is a zoo in the mornings as others have said but still, it is nice to have something. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mbateacher
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We arrived when the hotel was full but got friendly service, free wi-fi and nice breakfast. Comfortable rooms. Convenient to all downtown attractions - walked to Hockey Hall of Fame, Second City, CN tower. Pull out couch for son worked out great.

Room Tip: We didn't get our requested room location but 3rd floor was fine, just no view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

It's a residence inn, meaning hotel for business travels more like serviced apartments then hotel rooms. Great location, heart of downtown, I was on the 17th floor in a very spacious room. All the regular amenities you would expect from a Marriott chain. However- worst pillows I've ever slept on. OLD and small and smell of bleach. We exchanged them but the new ones were the same. The towels in the bathroom were old and falling apart (see photo). There is a nice clean gym, small but decent and pool, however the smell of chlorine is over powering.
The room itself had a weird smell, like someone spilled chicken soup on the carpet. Lastly, the view. See photo. A power plant. Room had one tiny window which when opened you could hear the buzzing of the plant all night long. Not enough to disrupt your sleep, but a disturbing idea nonetheless.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Babylils
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, right beside the CN Tower. We had a great sized room, enough space for the three of us. Complementary breakfast in the morning is also a bonus, whether it be cereal or a cooked breakfast, great start to the day!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family