Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District
Ranked #25 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Baltimore, Maryland
“Amazing Hotel”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here in March. I was beyond pleased. The kitchen made it easy to not have to worry about spending a fortune to eat out every night and the included breakfast was awesome. The staff was amazing and the amenities (indoor pool, gym, bar ect) were great. Good location too. We were attending an event at the Rogers Center and it was less than 10 mins to walk there. I also felt very safe and Toronto is an amazing city. The Stratosphere could be seen from our room and our room was nicely furnished and very up to date and very clean. I really couldn't say enough about this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Our family of four wanted to take in a few sites in downtown Toronto staying just one night. We had booked a "cars eat free" package. This includes buffet breakfast, free valet parking (the only kind at the hotel but downtown rates run from about $20-$35), a room which included a kitchenette and a pull out couch for our young children and a voucher for $25 of gas at Petro Canada. The rate, I believe was $209 but we would need the parking and we always need gas.

It was a Sunday (usually a quiet night for hotels) and when we arrived I asked for a complimentary upgrade. They were kind enough to give us a one-bedroom suite with a view of the CN Tower. It was incredibly spacious and gave us two separate rooms -- the bedroom and the living room/kitchen area. This hotel is about a block from the CN Tower and the Skydome and 2 blocks from the CBC building.

The breakfast was generous with lots of hot and cold items. There was enough space early on but later it was quite busy. The pool and hot tub were salt water which was quite nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have meant to write this review for a while. I am going to keep it simple. The room is terrific. I want to move in and never leave. The view of the CN Tower that I had was worth price of admission.They go far and beyond with the breakfast and dinner time food. God how great it is to have a good breakfast on vacation and not have to think about where your going to get it. The staff were not only good at their jobs but attentive and kind. On the day of my check out I had gotten sick and I wasn't heading home till the evening. They not only offered to extend my checkout time 2 hours ( it was film festival time so that was unbelivably kind of them. They found me a place to sit in the lobby and one of the staff even came over to check on me and offer me tea.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with a view of the CN Tower.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The Marriott Residence Inn Toronto Downtown is the definition of what a great holiday hotel is all about. Overall, the hotel was pretty up to date, spotlessly clean, the rooms spacious, the kitchen fully equipped, the location unbeatable, the staff friendly, the complimentary breakfast generous, the in-room wi-fi free (wireless or wired) – we could go on!

We were a family of three – with a 12 year old who usually gets bored easily. But this time, the vacation turned out great – because of the great location of the hotel, and the decent sized rooms, the breakfast and more. Our positive experience started with helpful booking agent on the phone and the online booking portal as well. On arrival, we were greeted by friendly staff who promptly had us in our room on the 11th floor facing the main street – with a gorgeous view of the CN Tower.

The room we stayed in was spacious and super clean, with a fully equipped kitchen with a full sized fridge, large and high power microwave, dishwasher, coffee-maker, cutlery and dishes. And of course, tea, coffee, and popcorn. Every day, in the mornings the rooms are cleaned and it's seriously like coming back to a new room – it's so well made! The hotel is clean throughout, the elevators are quick, and the front desk friendly. The bed is super comfortable. Of course, there are the standard in-room safety-deposit boxes, hair dryers etc. We have one more positive to add: the toiletries are by Paul Mitchell, and more luxe than what some of the super-5-star hotels dish out.

The buffet breakfast is complimentary – and though the variety isn't huge, it's plenty of fuel for the day. There are eggs, sausages, hash browns, fruit, pancakes, breads, cereal and more. And of course, good coffee. The tea bags are limited variety though, so don't expect a classy Darjeeling or Assam. It does get a little crowded after around 8 am, so getting there early means you don't have to wait for a table. However, the wait is never too long. We did see quite a few families grab their breakfasts and head up to their rooms. That was useful.

Three days a week (Mon, Tues, Wed) the hotel organizes a "social" in the evening, where food is served free to guests. Lots of guests come down around 6 pm to mingle and nibble. It's different food every day, and it's plentiful, and great fun. There are tons of fabulous restaurants around – gourmet eateries, fast food places, taco shops, hot dog vendors, you name it. All within a five to ten minute walk. Tip: The Quesada mexican grill place across the road makes amazing wraps and tortillas, yummy burritos, and is usually open until 9 pm. With Chinatown a 10-15 minute walk away (or a quick hop on a streetcar), you'll get yummy dim sum every day of the week. Try the Sky Dragon located on the 2nd floor of a shopping center. On week days, all dim sum is just $2 each and they're some of the best we've had.

There's a 24-hour supermarket a block away (Rabba's) but it's fairly limited – if you walk around a bit more, there are Longo's markets close by which are much better. But there are so many eating options across every turn and corner of The Path (underground, and 2 minutes away from the hotel, if you take the Simcoe entrace), you may not want to stock up the kitchen right away. The hotel has a bar that opens every evening, but if you'd like the large LCBO store (wine, beer, spirits in Ontario are only retailed at LCBO stores) is a 2-minute walk to Spadina.

Yes, the location is fantastic. You are six minutes from the subway (St Andrews), 10 minutes from the CN Tower and the Blue Jays home at the Rogers Center Dome, minutes from King and Queen Streets (West) and a 15 minute walk from Eaton Center, from Union Station, or from the Lake front, or Chinatown. We stayed in mid-August, and did get a couple of days of rain. The hotel let us borrow umbrellas. Toronto's famous underground shopping and downtown district known as The Path is just a two minute walk down Wellington, so if it's snowing out there, you could just go underground and stay warm and have access to all of TO's downtown!

The hotel has a business center, gym and swimming pool, but we didn't use any of the facilities. Overall, we were really happy with our 10-day stay, and we found the hotel great value for money, and a very positive holiday experience, considering all the positive factors.

We picked the hotel because of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor, and after our totally positive experience, we thought we would add our bit there too. We would stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Toronto Downtown / Entertainment District again – in a heart beat! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Gets crowded, very crowded on weekends, specially when you have a North American team in town!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tom R
Toronto
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stay at this Residence Inn approx. 3 times a month, and would rarely think about staying elsewhere in the Downtown Core. This hotel is clean, fairly updated and perfectly located near the great King St. west restaurants, and only a few black away from Queen St. West. Right in the middle of the Entertainment and Financial District and just around the corner from the Rogers Center and the CN Tower.

A few things make it stand out. Free internet, wired and Wi-Fi. In this day and age, why hotels still insist on gouging travelers for access is beyond me. Whether you have the 1 bedroom suite, or a studio the rooms are spacious, each with a couch and sitting area. Carpets are a bit worn, but this is going to happen. Full kitchen is handy, even just having a fridge for drinks is great. And if you are so inclined to like an average breakfast, the RI has a free one each morning. But with its great location, there are many other options around. Seems like it is very family friendly and suitable. Although not a selling point for me, something to keep in mind for families. It's not the "hippest" or most modern hotel in the city, but it holds its on for comfort and reliabllity.

All that said, for a DT core hotel, prices are reasonable especially if you compare the size of the suites and amenities to the others in the area ( Renaissance, InterContinental etc..). I have stayed here 18 times this year already, and figured it is time I gave back to the TripAdvisor community after all the times I have used it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Somerville, MA
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is the third consecutive year that I have stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn Downtown Toronto and I always find something new to comment on. This time it was my first attendance at one of their weekly guest evening socials where food is served free to the guests. I have to admit that I was expecting a sparsely attended affair because of the fact that there is so much to do in Toronto. Who would go to this event? As it turns out, a lot more people than I expected. The room was buzzing! I had a better time than I expected. Always a good thing!
As for the rest of my stay, I got what I've become accustomed to: top level service and accomodations. The staff here continues to impress with their pleasant demeanor and attentiveness. As in the past, I want to extend my thanks to Kamika for such a warm, gracious greeting. You make me feel like family :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
New York, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Decided to book our stay at The Residence Inn by Mariott in Downtown Toronto because of all of the great reviews and I'm happy to say it was an excellent choice. Loved that this hotel offered a fully-equipped kitchen in each suite, complimentary wifi, and complimentary breakfast.

Upon arrival, I was greeted by Amanat, who was very friendly and welcoming. She always had a smile on her face. She was able to give us a room that I requested- High floor, away from the elevators, with a view of the CN Tower. After a very smooth and quick check-in, we found ourselves in our room in less than 10 minutes.

The Room:
Very clean and attractive. We loved our suite! We stayed in Room #1912, and had an amazing and unobstructed view of the CN tower from our window. The king-sized bed was very comfortable, however the pull-out sofabed in the living room was not as comfortable as we hoped for. It was very thin and springy- I would recommend requesting extra sheets/blankets or pillows to make for a softer bed. The kitchen included a full-sized refrigerator, which we stocked with water and snacks. It was nice that everything you needed- dish ware, glassware, and microwave was available for use. Note: A sponge is provided in the kitchen, but there isn't any dish-washing liquid for you to use.

Breakfast:
The complimentary buffet breakfast that was served until 11AM was a definite plus, but do go early around 8AM before it gets too crowded. They serve a variety of foods each day: Scrambled eggs, Sausage, Bacon, Potatoes, Pancakes, Cereals, Muffins, Toast, Bagels, Oatmeal, Coffee, Tea, Juice, etc.

Gym/Pool Facilities:
Gym is very small, can be full at certain times of the day- 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical machine, 1 stationary bike. There are also weights (limited), a BOSU ball, and mats available. Pool is also on the small side, and usually filled with children. There is also a jacuzzi and a business center with printers available for use.

Pros:
- Great Location (Walking distance to Chinatown, Queen St., King St. and the CN Tower and nearby attractions Rogers Centre, etc.)
- Complimentary Buffet Breakfast
- Fully-equipped kitchen with full-sized refrigerator
- Complimentary and reliable WiFi Service
- Friendly Staff
- Very clean

Cons:
- Became very crowded on the weekend, especially since it was during Caribana weekend. The downstairs lobby was full of groups of people loitering inside and outside of the building at night and blocking the main entrance.
- Slow elevator service, as there are only 3 elevators. During my stay only 2 elevators were working, which meant long waits and packed elevators.
- Not so comfortable sofabed

Overall, we were very happy with our stay. Would recommend this hotel for those traveling in big groups and families with children. Would love to stay here again the next time we're in Toronto.

Room Tip: Request a high floor, away from the elevators for more privacy, and a view of the CN Tower.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family