Residence Inn Toronto Downtown/Entertainment District
$317
$308
Hotwire.com
1,734 results
All reviewsfull kitchenentertainment districtcn towerrogers centrefree breakfasttwo bedroom suitesofa bedvalet parkingthe breakfast areasmall kitchenstove topdining tableblue jaysminute walkyogurtking streetsitting area
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I reserved a room 3 months in advance of my trip. I arrived at 10:30pm on the date of my reservation after driving 2 hours to be told that "a large group did not leave when they were supposed to" and therefore they did not have a room for me. They offered to "escort" me to another hotel, located in a completely different part of the city. Not very helpful considering I booked this hotel specifically because it was located close to the conference I planned to attend early the next morning. When I said that was unacceptable they offered to send me to another much older hotel (not a suite hotel) for the same price. While this was going on I saw one other person come to check in who was given the same story, but accepted to be sent to the hotel in the other part of town. Yet another person arrived, was given a cookie, thanked for being part of some special program and told he was being given a free upgrade.
I called my husband who called the Ritz-Carlton next door. They told him that earlier in the day they had lots of rooms available, but because this hotel overbooked so many people they had just given away their last room to yet another person who did not have their reservation honored at the Residence Inn by Marriott.
Finally after about 20 minutes of this they told me that they could give me a room after all, but it would be a wheelchair accessible room with no bathtub. Really, who cares (now 11pm at night) about having a bath tub in a situation like this! They gave me a key but no information about where to go for breakfast or other basic information one would generally expect. The microwave in the room was broken. To rub salt into my wounds there was a letter in the room from Beth K Osborne, General Manager explaining that this week is Global Customer Appreciation Week. It brags that they have been rated number one on trip advisor for four years running. Sadly, I now know that is at the cost of treating some people very poorly.
Not one person could explain to me why if they new some other customers had overstayed their reservation (check-out time was noon), that they did not call me earlier to let me know their would be an issue. I arrived at 10:30pm, tired and just wanting to sleep. Had they called me I would have had the option of booking another room for myself, or even staying home and coming for the second day of the conference instead. I believe they were hoping I simply wouldn't show up so they could keep my money for the night's stay as well.

All though the building is new and clean and the rooms are spacious, I will NEVER stay here again. If you can't trust a hotel to honor a reservation, why make one?

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank sonic1301
Reviewed October 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed there for a 7-day conference, plus 5 additional nights for sightseeing. The bed and pillows were comfortable. You could easily adjust the room temperature. We were on the 20th floor and had a great view. The room had a full kitchen. There was free WiFi, which is almost a deal-clincher in and of itself. The free, full breakfast was delicious and had something for everyone. There was often a light dinner offered, also for free. The location was convenient to the subway and to all of the major local destinations. The front desk staff, the bell staff, kitchen staff, and housekeeping staff were top-notch. We got a special nightly rate for staying there for an extended period. We will definitely choose the Residence Inn if we stay in Toronto again.

Room Tip: I requested and received a room away from the elevators and ice machine.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I had only two nights in September but it was good. The room was spacious and service was e
Good. The breakfast was excellent. Scrambled egg was really good. And the pork sausage was delicious.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I stayed here for my girlfriends birthday with other friends. We walked in the lobby. Checked in. Very nice staff at front desk. We paid less than 200 for the room, which includes breakfast. When we got to the room. We were happy with the size of the room. You get a full kitchen. And sofa bed and a king size bed. Then our view was the cn tower. Also comes with a flat screen tv. We had 5 people and fit well in the room. For the value, this is a great room. And the location was amazing. Everything is around you. I would tell everyone about this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank jczar
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The Toronto Residence Inn - Entertainment District is only 3 years old, built as a RI, and still quite fresh.

Theatre, restaurants and entertainment are not really next door to the Residence Inn as you might expect from their 'Entertainment District' claim, but if you can walk a few city blocks you'll enjoy a much better restaurant selection on King Street, where I'd rather stay next time for convenience to theatre and restaurant variety. The full service Hyatt hotel on King (former Holiday Inn) is much better located with at least ten upscale 'in' restaurants right across the street. The only really close restaurant to the Residence Inn Entertainment District hotel is a very good Indian restaurant called '259 Host' and it's right next door adjacent to the hotel (reviewed below). The SoHo Metropolitan hotel is also closer to restaurants and entertainment, and right across from the Wayne Gretzky sports bar. The Residence Inn doesn't have a taxi stand so you might have to wait for them to call one to come...service is friendly though.

Live theatre in Toronto is very good, by the way...so is restaurant choice...be sure to read through the 'Where' magazine when you check in or book theatre tickets before you arrive...or maybe you can do that online. When we were here 'Chess' was playing, as was 'Private Lives' with Kim Cattrall and Pail Gross. 'War Horse' opens Feb 10, 2012. 'Rigoletto' opera was at the Four Seasons Centre. Second City is a fun show to see. Museums everywhere and excellent shopping at all levels. Lots to see and do in Toronto.

We tried the '259 Host' restaurant next door and really enjoyed it...quite upscale and they will deliver the bill to the Marriott which I thought would earn Marriott Rewards points but it doesn't. The whole bill for two came to just $105 plus tip for a shared appetizer Panir, shared garlic Nan, shared plain basmati rice, lamb medallions entree, butter chicken entree, 2 glasses wine, 2 mixed drinks, no dessert or coffee. For downtown Toronto, I thought it very reasonable and would go again.

If you are a Marriott gold or platinum elite you won't get the extra benefits staying here and only half the points as you would at the Marriott full service hotels. Local phone calls at the RI are $1.50...even for Marriott Elite members, so bring your cellphone.

Room WiFi is free at all lower level Marriott's and worked well. Widescreen TV's are still only analog so everyone looks fat. I hated their TV remotes as they don't have a 'sleep' button, so I was awakened at 4 am by a noisy infomercial as I fell asleep without turning it off.

Administrative staff 'attitude' was not very pleasant. Front desk and reception people are rushed off their feet and I found them and the operators very abrupt and not friendly like most 'Marriott' trained people, probably as a result of understaffing.

This is a Residence Inn with a difference as it has bellboys and valet parking attendant (you must use valet parking - $30 a night plus tips). Room decor is pleasantly different as well. We had a 1 bdrm suite but on check in the gal told us the better views were in the studios. I am a Marriott Platinum Elite but got no upgrade even though they were far from full. Room A/C was set for 70 degrees but we froze all night, had to turn it off and then we got too hot...why are hotels like this? I was in the room when the maid came but she took less than 10 minutes to clean up with no vacuuming as we were staying 2 nights. We were on a high floor and the elevators are extremely slow even if you don't stop.

There's a comfy bar facing the reception area...looks ok but very few people in it at happy hour Friday night...and nobody when we returned at 9 pm from dinner.

Each morning breakfast can be had just down from the front desk. Nice seating in both areas. The buffet was quite nice except at the bottleneck for toast and pancakes/waffle you have to make yourself...they need more machines. Scrambled eggs were very plain and tasteless, potatoes were terrible mixed with onions and peppers (no hash browns!), sausages were gluten free-- but after eating I had to rush to the bathroom. A little later my guest had to go several times as well. Hmmm. I'll stick to oatmeal next time.

At the bar area they offer some food on some work nights...such as 'baked potato night with all the trimmings with salad and cookies'; 'chili night, dessert and dessert'; 'soup and salad night'; etc. FREE on Monday to Wednesday. I don't know if this is just for hotel guests or walk-ins.

Newspapers are NOT delivered to your room as in other Marriott's but available if you go down yourself to the reception area (none on Sunday, but the Saturday Globe&Mail is excellent). So if you like your morning cup of Joe while reading a paper you'll have to get dressed first. :) And go early...the newspapers were all gone when we went down for breakfast at 10 am Saturday...but the bellboy managed to find one.

Room Tip: We were told the large Studio's have better views than the suites.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple