“Good enough to get your head down for a night”

University of Toronto - New College Residence - Wilson Hall Residence
Ranked #89 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Pros – Location, cheap vs. alternatives, fairly comfy bed, good location

Cons – Toilets can be 3 blocks away – not ideal for the middle of the night, Noisy as School Trips use accommodation so our room was surrounded by school kids, Room dark and dingy, didn’t feel the cleanest, staff on reception a bit useless when couldn't find our booking so had to be sorted out by booking office but no one communicated this to us so we were stood around for half an hour not sure what was going on - not ideal after a long flight.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for University of Toronto - New College Residence - Wilson Hall Residence

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Don't expect anything more than a place to sleep at night. This is a very basic 'hotel'. It's located very conveniently downtown Toronto, within walking distance of many attractions.
The rooms are very basic, you get a mattress, a small desk, and a shared public bathroom/showers. The price is cheap, we were 2 people, stayed for 1 night, for 58$.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Travel B
Reviewed May 22, 2012

The place was reasonably clean, but it is in a 1960s or 70s concrete building so it is not beautiful. This wouldn't matter because it is cheap and well-placed for downtown Toronto.

This hall is set up for school groups and sports teams - not for visitors from the general public. The worst thing was the attitude of the staff, who are apparently only geared to deal with students. The girl on reception was very friendly but had little clue how to deal with most of my questions - I concluded that she was not trained. Her supervisor treated me like a badly behaved first-year student. The information on line says, for example, 'A pillow is provided' - what it does not say is that if you need another pillow, you can't have one. The worst thing was not that there are no pillows but that the supervisor spoke contemptuously to me as if I should have read the instructions and it was my own fault that I didn't bring one.

The kitchen had nothing except work surfaces, settees, a cooker, microwave and fridge/freezer. I.e. no pans, crockery, cutlery, kettle or utensils. I was given a paper cup so I could heat water in the microwave. This kitchen might work if you were Canadian and coming by car so you could bring all you needed. For an Englishwoman coming on the train, it was of almost no use at all.

I have stayed in many university halls of residence before and this was definitely one of the worst organised. For example, in my last couple of days a party of young teenage boys arrived and were staying all around me. My bathroom was moved by the simple expedient of putting a notice on the door. Sharing a floor with a group of boys was not my idea of fun.

There is a good and cheap laundry room. The bathrooms were cleaned fairly regularly. The place is cheap. Those are the only good points.

I would advise anyone not to go there. It should not be being advertised to the general public.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Lizzie L
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Toronto is an expensive city for accomodation, and this university residence is a total bargain. Of course, you'll get a basic comfort, with shared bathrooms, but the room is really OK. On the other hand, you will benefit from the common area equipments, which include a shared fridge, microwave oven, etc. What's more, the location is top-notch, right smack in the city centre. Oh, and: there's Wifi! :)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Marjorie77
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed in the long-term Wetmore Hall Residence for one week in August 2011. Basic room with pillow, sheets, blanket and bedspread; desk with chair; and telephone included but mine didn't work. Very economical accommodations in a very expensive city. Laundry machines were $1 per load and $0.50 to dry. Breakfast buffet was available while I was there but can be sporadic depending if there are large groups staying on campus. Right across from Spadina trolley line and a 5 minute walk to subway ($3 CAD with transfers).

Room Tip: Reserve early as the University of Toronto summer lodging fills up quickly
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank BrockDaBadger
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Saved much on accomodation during this trip.
Bare necessities were provided.
Security was sufficient for a lone traveller.
Could rest well.

If you're looking for a luxurious place to satisfy creature comforts. this is not the place to be..

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank gracelimme
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed here for three nights over a weekend. I booked the residences because I was last-minute and it was one of the few places with availability. I was apprehensive of partying with it being a weekend, but the place quieted right down at midnight, so no problems there. My room was fine, clean and given I had a double to myself I had plenty of space. The free wi-fi was completely reliable. The shared bathrooms, however, weren't cleaned once in the three days I was there, even though they needed it (particularly the sinks). I didn't use the common areas so I can't comment on them.
The staff are really helpful. The location and price are the main things going for this place. I'd stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank devotchka83
Travelers also viewed these Toronto hotels
Midtown
89 Chestnut
89 Chestnut
#104 of 137 in Toronto
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown

Been to University of Toronto - New College Residence - Wilson Hall Residence? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about University of Toronto - New College Residence - Wilson Hall Residence

Address: 40 Willcocks St, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1C6, Canada
Location: Canada > Ontario > Toronto > Downtown
Business Center with Internet Access Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant
Ranked #89 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Hotel Class:2 star — University of Toronto - New College Residence - Wilson Hall Residence 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Hotwire so you can book your University of Toronto - New College Residence - Wilson Hall Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
University Of Toronto - New College Residences Hotel Toronto