“Elegant & comfortable rooming house with international flavor”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Baldwin Village Inn
Ranked #12 of 117 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This past July, I spent one night while at a conference at this charming B&B, located just south of the University of Toronto, near subway, Chinatown, and a block away from the AGO, surrounded by small restaurants and cafes on and near Baldwin Street. Roger, the host, takes pride in introductions to regulars and new arrivals from other countries. As a single woman traveling alone, I felt safe, welcomed, yet able to enjoy my privacy. Unfortunately, I was not careful enough in my choice of street parking and on my departure found a ticket!
Overall, I have found THE place I will stay any time I travel to Toronto.

Note: Baldwin Village has another location on nearby Sullivan Street that has slightly different accommodations (but I can't remember what at the moment - may be bathrooms, length of stay). Ask the host for the differences.

Plusses:
• Impeccable room large enough for two, comfortable bed, interiors tastefully and thoughtfully designed.
• Breakfast includes eggs cooked to order (masterfully) and a variety of cheeses, breads, spreads, etc.
• Coffee and tea, water available all day in the common kitchen area where breakfast is served.
• Charming personable hosts and interesting roomers from all over the world.
• Patio area in front of the homey facade, set back enough in greenery to visit or watch the street foot traffic.
• Centrally located, yet not an impersonal enormous hotel - a MUCH richer experience for fewer $$$.
• Secure and easy entry.
• Free wireless access.

Minuses:
• Parking on the street can be a bit of a problem, though you can initially unload in front of the Inn.
• Shared bathrooms, only 2 showers for 12 rooms. However, I waited only about 15 minutes.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
BaldwinInn, Owner at Baldwin Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. Now in our 7th year, we have had over 7000 wonderful guests many of whom are regular clients for many years and have adopted the Inn as their Toronto home.

A small correction and as an additional note, we have a total of 3 Inns in the same neighborhood, clustered around the Art Gallery of Ontario/Grange Park, which is in the heart of downtown Toronto. Although Baldwin Inn is considered a B&B, we call our 3 locations "Urban Inns" because of central location and different styles of accommodations that is available.

There are 6 regular rooms at the main Baldwin Inn with 3 bathrooms, 2 with showers that in our many years of operating experience, are quite comfortable, homey and adequate.

Our 2 other Inns on Sullivan street have another 6 rooms, each of which is equipped with private bathrooms. These Inns also have a fully equipped kitchen. Please visit our website for additional information.

There are newer reviews for Baldwin Village Inn

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I spent 4 nights in the Sullivan Street shared house and 2 nights at the Baldwin Village Inn, both run by a very welcoming couple and their delightful daughter. Rooms were comfortable, clean and quiet. The bedroom in Baldwin lacked an ensuite and tv but that was not a big inconvenience for me, as a single person. Meals at Sullivan were self-catering. Complimentary breakfast at the Baldwin was an unexpected pleasure with cereals, eggs done to your choice, toast, cheese and coffee/ tea, in the company of the other guests who came from across North America, Europe and Asia. A few of the guests were regulars - very regular regulars - and that says much for the hospitality and ambience. Cleanliness and security are obviously very important to the hosts, and it is greatly appreciated. The location is ideal for the city center and in the immediate vicinity are restaurants of all types to satisfy hungry diners. I have no plans to visit Toronto again in the near future but if/when the opportunity arises the Baldwin Village Inn will be my first choice for accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The tiny, unassuming front of the house belies the warm, homey interior you encounter once inside Baldwin Village Inn. The entire home is very clean, spacious and well maintained. The building itself is very secure and you get your own passcode to enter. Parking is at a nearby lot, which by Toronto standards is an affordable $20 for a day, and is enclosed so your car is safe from the elements and most harm.

The rooms themselves are comfortable, with a queen size bed, fresh linens and towels, a desk, your own tv, and we even had a couch. The shared bathrooms are nice and clean, although given how popular and large the B&B is with visiting professionals and professors it means that first thing in the morning there is a little bit of jockeying for the shower. But since everyone is friendly they do their shower shift quickly so that the next person can hop in. They also offer a huge selection of movies if you wanted to stay in and watch something in the common area, which is relaxed and comfy.

Tess and her husband are fantastic – very friendly hosts, and they have a lot of interesting people stay there at the B&B, including business men, doctors, researchers/professors, and even students for the universities, and of course travelers like ourselves. The breakfast conversations are therefore lively and interesting. The breakfast itself is great, they have bagels and breads with different spreads and cheeses, fresh fruit, cereals, fresh coffee and juices (they had almond milk!!), and they will make you any egg dish that you want.

The location is fantastic, right in the heart of the city near Chinatown and a bunch of museums and universities, and the street itself is filled with Japanese and a few other Asian restaurants, cafes, and vegetarian friendly places. It’s a shame that we couldn’t stay longer - but that just means that we’ll have to come back to Toronto soon!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I spent one night at this pleasant, friendly B&B. Location is central, close to subway stop (5 minutes or less) and close to the AGO as well. Breakfast is included and consisted of eggs, various cheeses, toast etc. The room had a queen size bed which was comfortable and quiet and a sofa for sitting as well as a desk chair. WiFi is available.Room was somewhat hot overnight with the curtains closed but always an issue this time of year as it was warmish outside too but not hot enough for A/C. Hosts are friendly! The only negative would be the restriction on bathrooms and showers - only three toilets and two showers for 12 guests if they are full and, when we were there,someone decided on a long shower in the upstairs bathroom. (20 minutes) Otherwise highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms seem good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Baldwin village inn was amazing. The location was awesome for getting to Kensignton Market, Chinatown, Queen St. West, City Hall, King st West, etc. - all the key downtown spots for exploring Toronto. The B&B was located on a quiet, safe street and surrounded by quaint shops, cafes, and restaurants. Really great street. The b&b also has an awesome backyard private garden patio - great in the summer time. There is also a second floor deck with chairs. Great hosts. Would love to stay here again!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are larger
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stef_Tsi
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I was there for one night back in the middle of September 2012 and I have no complaints - I was nervous arriving as was travelling alone, but when I got there felt very comfortable. Rooms were very clean and bright, the breakfast really good and I had a lovely chat with the owners. Area was great, some lovely restaurants in the street - the Italian and the Mexican (cannot remember names) were really good. They were very happy with me leaving my luggage in front after I'd checked out and wanted to see Toronto. When I arrived in the evening waiting for my taxi for the airport, it was late, but the owners were great at getting one to turn up on time for me - very helpful. If I'm ever back in Toronto I will be staying there again! Thank you again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Marnie T
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Tess, Roger and Pia are great hosts.

Pro: great breakfast, simple, good variety continental, great position close to the hospitals, Kensington market. and china town. Easy walk to places. Meet some interesting people and can have a chat. about 10 restaurants within 30m walk of the front door. Quiet. Rooms good size, comfortable beds.

Con: have to share a bathroom as is a B&B (if this is something you care about). Otherwise no concerns.

Good place to have as a base, cheap and very accommodating. You get to meet some interesting people and have a good chat.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business