This past July, I spent one night while at a conference at this charming B&B, located just south of the University of Toronto, near subway, Chinatown, and a block away from the AGO, surrounded by small restaurants and cafes on and near Baldwin Street. Roger, the host, takes pride in introductions to regulars and new arrivals from other countries. As a single woman traveling alone, I felt safe, welcomed, yet able to enjoy my privacy. Unfortunately, I was not careful enough in my choice of street parking and on my departure found a ticket!
Overall, I have found THE place I will stay any time I travel to Toronto.
Note: Baldwin Village has another location on nearby Sullivan Street that has slightly different accommodations (but I can't remember what at the moment - may be bathrooms, length of stay). Ask the host for the differences.
• Impeccable room large enough for two, comfortable bed, interiors tastefully and thoughtfully designed.
• Breakfast includes eggs cooked to order (masterfully) and a variety of cheeses, breads, spreads, etc.
• Coffee and tea, water available all day in the common kitchen area where breakfast is served.
• Charming personable hosts and interesting roomers from all over the world.
• Patio area in front of the homey facade, set back enough in greenery to visit or watch the street foot traffic.
• Centrally located, yet not an impersonal enormous hotel - a MUCH richer experience for fewer $$$.
• Secure and easy entry.
• Free wireless access.
• Parking on the street can be a bit of a problem, though you can initially unload in front of the Inn.
• Shared bathrooms, only 2 showers for 12 rooms. However, I waited only about 15 minutes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a family owned and operated business, offering quality accommodations in the vibrant neighborhoods of downtown Toronto for over 25 years. With a variety of housing types, our location and clean and comfortable rooms can provide you with the right lodging for your stay. Our properties give guests the convenience of a city with the feel of a cozy home. The demand for affordable accommodations has led us to continue to expand our operations with a new 4th location opening up starting May 2015. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Baldwin Village Hotel Toronto