“Just don't do it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of SpaZe

SpaZe
Ranked #57 of 105 Spas & Wellness in Toronto
More attraction details
Owner description: Retreat to Our Spa Nestled in the Heart of Downtown Toronto Shizen, inspired by the Japanese word for nature, brings to you a rich indoor haven that offers a blend of both ancient traditions and modern healing rituals. Nestled within both The Cosmopolitan and Pantages Hotels, experience our signature seasonal services, massages, facials, body, nail and aesthetic treatments that support your ultimate health and well-being. Hidden away from the urban bustle of downtown Toronto, you will finally discover a quiet moment of solitude and complete relaxation. We call this a Shizen Moment. Our Spa Is Home To: - 1,500 square-foot glass-enclosed Zen Solarium - Five private treatment rooms - Spacious Jacuzzi for pre- and post-treatments - Comprehensive Menu of Spa Services - Signature Spa Packages & Seasonal Specials for Individuals, Couples and Groups - Mindful Selection of Wellness & Skincare Amenities in our Spa Boutique
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Just don't do it.”
Reviewed November 11, 2010

We went for a girls day at the spa and booked their BFF package. What they DONT tell you when you book your package is that it is a mini or express manicure and pedicure. OUr lunches were still frozen and we hard to eat while we got our pedicure. Also, they did not have any robes larger then a L, so if you are a XL or any type of plus size, dont go, they wont be able to give you a robe big enough.

We wrote a letter expressing our concerns about the spa and the fact that they were unable to provide us with larger robes, poor manicures and a bad lunch. It took almost a week for them to reply. The reply only came after a I wrote a message on the facebook wall of the Hotel. The responce was inadequate claiming that it was a busy day. They also said that the staff were looking for robes but gives no explanation why we were not provided with larger robes.

I was then contacted by a rep from the Hotel. I hope that she will be able to go a little further into this issue. I will update this review when the issue is over.

3 Thank decemberstone

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Misleading”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

I am a Torontonian and keep going back there because it is conveniently located near my home. Every time I go, I keep hoping that this time will be a good experience. After dozens of visits, I can confirm that having a good experience there is an anomoly. From receiving rushed treatments to make up their lost time after seeing me 20mins late (despite the fact that I always arrive a half hour early). To arriving for booked appointments only to be told that it is my technician's day off or that he/she is ill (so why book the appts in the first place? Or, if they are ill, at least call before we get there!) Also, beware of their 'promo packages.' After you receive the service and go to pay - you will inevitably be told that their 'promo' is incorrectly worded and that, the charges would be not as advertised (keep in mind that you find these promos posted on their own company website.) These are a few of the examples of mine and my friends' experiences there - I only bothered to post the most common occurrances and am now looking for other spas in the area - Honestly would rather go to one of those Asian nail places than here for the 100th time. At least you go to a cheaper place, you go with a certain expectation of miscommunications and subpar service. On another note - has anybody here tried the Elm Spa? I hear it's good -

2 Thank 155019Kate
Toronto, Canada
“Very relaxing and nice place!”
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I went to Shizen Spa at Cosmopolitan Hotel on Friday September 3rd, 2010.
I went there with my boyfriend to celebrate his birthday. We booked an appointment for 2:30PM for "Pamper Each Other" package for $330. (after tip & tax it was around $400)

1) We arrived there around 1:30PM so that we can take time and get changed, and use the huge jacuzzi! That jacuzzi is big (I think it can fit about 8 people) and it also has some bubbles coming out :D. Also, it's very well maintained i.e. very clean.
There were no other people in the spa, so we were the only ones uing it. It was awesome. The lounge has a set of comfortable chairs, so that we almost sat there and slept for a while. The lounge also has some treats (tea, water, cookies, muffin, etc) so we could also enjoy. Also, the staff delievered us some assorted nuts and teas! It was awesome.

2) It came around 2:30PM so we went into the couple room. I was impressed that they had our names (nicely decorated+_+) in front of the door. It was a nice cute surprise.
We went into the room, and they had a tub with hot water (with aromatic scent) so we could just relax in there. THey also gave us water, tea, and cookies so we could enjoy. In the private room, they also had comfortable chairs so that we could come outside and cool ourselves when we feel too hot.

3) Massage (Swedish) and facial treatment were really great! We fell asleep doing the massage, as we were so relaxed.

4) After the massage, we were provided with strawberries dipped in chocolates. They were awesome!

5) Changerooms: The only thing I didn't find too nice was that the changeroom had a weird outlay. The door was positioned in a way that if someone opens the door, it will show everything in the changeroom. I sort of had to hide behind the closet to get changed. I wish the door had multiple security (?) controls so that we can get changed freely inside!

However, other than the point 5), everything was awesome!

Definitely will go back sometime later.

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Mediocre and expect a sales pitch”
Reviewed May 3, 2010

A friend and I went very recently. We had some ``okay`` moments and some ``what the...?`` moments. Firstly, the Cosmopolitan on Colborne Street is a smaller boutique style hotel and the spa itself is quite compact. Nothing wrong with that, but what comes with compact is a compromise in facilities. Small change rooms (one toilet, a few lockers, one shower), so if the place gets busy, you will have to wait to shower, etc. The decor was a buddhist zen style, which was relaxing. The common area was pleasant and had a large jacuzzi, but no pool.

I had a package that included two treatments in the same room. The first treatment itself was very relaxing, but just as I started to feel myself totally relax, I was ripped out of my zen by the domestic sounds of the esthetician shuffling over to the kitchenette and clatter about, rinsing stuff, pouring liquids down the drain, etc. For a split second in my confusion I thought I was back at home: Kitchen sounds aren`t generally relaxing. Ironically, my friend, who went for a body wrap, also had the same experience with the kitchen clatter. Tends to take the edge off your ``chill``.

Then, upon commencing my facial, my esthetician started asking questions about my skincare regime. I was trying to relax but politely answered her questions. Then she proceeded to tell me about just how dry my skin was and that I needed to use product, preferably theirs, to protect my skin from aging. I have a toddler at home. I just wanted to relax for an hour and not think about my alleged alligator skin, but unfortunately, it didn`t end there. When it was all over, again she asked me to consider their products. Then, she accompanied me to meet my friend in the common area where she asked me yet again. To get her to back off, I told her I would have to check the ingredients, but to no avail; she told me she would get some ready for me to read at the front desk.

Sure enough, at the front desk, she had a bunch of products all set out, ready for me to check ingredients. I quickly read the ingredients and then firmly told her I am still not sure and would come back if I wanted to buy their products. Enough already! Not quite. Another young woman behind the front desk then tried to push their eye cream on us and said we could get a free eye treatment in return. We said no thanks. Then, as one last hurrah, she asked if we would like to book our next visit now! The whole thing was starting to feel like a bad date.

Suggestion to Management:

1. Have your staff quietly step into a separate room to prepare between treatments, like they do at other spas, or at least wait until the client`s treatment is complete.

2. If management is pressuring their staff to sell, they need to train them in the art of soft sell. It`s a spa! People go there to relax and forget about the rat race for a while, and it undoes all of the good to then be pressured to purchase at the end of it all, this after people have already spent a couple of hundred dollars on treatments. It is very annoying and creates an air of desperation.

I have been to many spas, here and overseas, and never experienced this persistent sales push for product before. It was like warding off a bad date.

Defo not going back, too many other great spas in the city.

2 Thank Acornart
Toronto
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Sub-par masseuse”
Reviewed May 11, 2009

My husband and I opted for the "pamper your partner package" which included an hour long massage, followed by a mini facial. I was very excited for the massage, since I am 5 months pregnant, and really needed it! We got to the spa 1/2 hour early, as advised by the booking agent. She said that they had forms we were required to fill out before treatment. When we got there, we sat in the waiting room for about 20mins, doing nothing.
We were finally ushered into the change rooms, which were very clean and well kept with robes and towels etc. After changing we waited another 10 mins for our therapist. We didn't mind because the ambiance in the spa was very relaxing and inviting.
Now here is the bad part: My masseuse was HORRIBLE!!!! There is no way she is an RMT. I've visited many spas and I knew right away that she was unskillled and untrained. It felt like they were short-staffed, and asked the towel girl to give my massage!!! I had to ask her to please use more oil, because the massage was so dry and abbrasive on my skin, and I left with more knots and kinks than when I got there!!!! Everything about it was poorly done. Given the price of the treatment, I felt jipped, and I just wanted my money back. Finally it was time for my facial, which was done by another lady. She was awesome, but it didn't last long. The 10 minute foot/neck massage she gave did more for me than the hour spent with "towel girl". I voiced my concern to the receptionist at the spa and concierge, who asked about our treatment, and still nothing was done. They just apologized and took my money! This battle is not yet over, but take my advice, save your money and visit the Royal York hotel, which is much better, and cheaper than this spa.

1 Thank Kerlz