“Cool vibe, delish food...”
Review of The Carbon Bar

The Carbon Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Carbon Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Canadian, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Where fun-loving aficionados, gourmands and bon vivants meet to share un-pretentious snacks, plates and platters delivered with impeccable hospitality in a space inspired by the storied past of a rock'n'roll discotheque, an upstart TV station and a media giant's studio.
Reviewed April 4, 2014

An outstanding evening with friends.....a fun, funky location but you most want to hear about the food, right? in a word: great! solid menu, AND they let you bring your own wine! Jubilee (our server) was a delight, sprinkling our great experience with her sense of humour....one of the owners bounced between tables during the dinner service - always great to see! Will be back!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Our experience at Carbon Bar overall was very good. The atmosphere is outstanding, with the design being a mix of rustic with exposed brick and upscale modern with very cool accordion lights and hanging mirrors from the very high ceiling. The place is noisy but with some booth seating mixed in with tables you don't notice it as much. I would not recommend for a quiet, romantic dinner. The service is impeccable and a bit more casual than at Nota Bene. Their version of Caesar salad came with kale and fried tongue and it was delicious. The raw salad was a tasty mix of vegetables and fruit including avocados, pears and jicama. The beef brisket is beautifully smoked and very good. The halibut was very good and came with smoked pork belly so I did not feel I was missing out on BBQ flavours. Our neighbours ordered the Pit Master platter which looked great and we were told was delicious. Just a LOT of meat! The prices, though a little bit high, were reasonable given the ambiance, high standard for service and very good food. Portion sizes are reasonable.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

After having heard the hype about Carbon Bar and being someone who appreciates good food and trendy places, I chose to have my birthday dinner there. I booked a table two weeks prior to my birthday and boy were we all disappointed.

We had a reservation for 8:30pm. Our group arrived on time and we were asked to wait in the bar area for our table. The bar staff was extremely slow (once we got a bartender's attention it took 20 minutes to get 8 drinks) and the selection was very limited... no mojitos, no martinis, not even a cosmopolitan. We got vodka 7up and scotch on the rocks. For a place with "bar" in its name, which is supposed to be an "it" spot, this was quite disappointing.

We were finally taken to our table at 9pm (no apologies for the half hour delay, fine, most trendy places are rather snobbish like that, no biggie) and were given a table all the way at the back, overlooking the kitchen! So much for booking two weeks in advance!

Our waitress was extremely slow, messed up our order on numerous occasions (wrong drink, wrong appetizer, etc.) and was not the least bit apologetic when she did. I've been to much nicer "it" places in the past where the wait staff's attitude and service level was bad but this one pretty much takes the cake.

Only redeeming qualities: cool ambiance and certain plates ordered were quite good.

All in all, for the over $1000 we spent on 8ppl that night, we could have gone somewhere with the same cool factor, ate just as well if not better and not had the bad experience we did.

Advice: go elsewhere.

1  Thank sungoddess80
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Went for dinner on a Thursday evening with a medium sized group. There is ample parking on the street and a lot across the street which was very convenient on a cold Toronto night. The service starts from when you get to the front door. A group of hostesses check you in, take your coat and walk you to your table. Our waiter was very attentive and answered all of our many questions. Everyone in our party enjoyed their food. I had the sea scallops and raw salad and both were delicious.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

I came here pretty late on a Saturday night- was able to order a decent bottle of wine for just under $40- the place is definitely cool looking- Electric Circus club used to be here so the place is very open with tall ceilings, cool decor.

I tried to order some bar snacks but unfortunately the kitchen was closed. Oh well, I guess that means I will have to go back :)