“Best Caesar in the City!”

Sotto Voce Wine & Pasta Bar
Ranked #57 of 268 Nightlife in Toronto
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Myself and my husband are anything but foodies but we certainly enjoy the rare night we get a chance to duck away from the repetitive cooking that comes with having picky children and appreciate a well prepared meal. We were on route to an old favourite in the heart of Little Italy when we fortuitously passed a sweet little nook that reminded me of my recent family vacation to Europe. The front door was ajar just enough that I could smell the tantalizing odor of homemade Italian cuisine floating onto the street as I past. We decided to abort our previous plans and headed inside. We were immediately greeted by who we later learned to be the owner. A well dressed, welcoming woman who took our coats and proceeded to take us through the menu. She was polite and patient as we asked her to take us through the extensive wine list. We settled upon a delicious bottle of Ripasso from Italy. For dinner we settled on a few selections as per recommended by the owner. Everything was fabulous, however, the Caesar salad (called the Romana on the menu) was hands down the best I've ever had!! Caesar happens to be one of my personal fav foods and therefore I would not give such an endorsement lightly. This Caesar was tremendous! For mains I had a rigatoni with hot Italian sausage in a black olive pesto. The owner mentioned that this item was new to the menu however it tasted as though the recipe had been carefully perfected over many years! My husband had a simple Spagetti Olio which left him not much for company as he could barely put the fork down! From service to wine to food to ambience Sotto is a sure fire hit! Next date night we will be back!!

There are newer reviews for Sotto Voce Wine & Pasta Bar

Reviewed December 8, 2009

I was touring Toronto by myself and it was a Monday night. I was starving and I walked for almost 20 minutes to decide on a restaurant in Little Italy. Eventually, I decided I'm going to stop at this restaurant since it seemed cozy and it had people. My rule: lots of people = good food!

I sat at the bar and I ordered Salad, pasta and desert. The food was DELICIOUS and the prices were decent. Order the creme brulle cheese cake! It's very very good. I ended up paying around $35. People there are so sweet and it's a family oriented business. I was setting at the bar, watching Monday football and talking to the guys there. They were all super friendly. I'm Middle Eastern and I love when people talk and laugh when they are eating. It cheers me up. Great food, not expensive and sweet people. I highly recommend checking it out.

2  Thank AdventuresRover
Reviewed July 27, 2008

OK, let me first say that the food here is cheap, and very good. That's usually enough to keep me coming back to any establishment. But this place may be the exception.

The attitude of the staff, right on up to the owner reminds me of something out of the Soviet era... disinterest, rudeness, and a general lack of courteous behavior abound at this establishment.

Before heading out to a private party that was being held here, I checked this site and read a review where a group of people from Michigan had complained about the snooty service, and unpleasantness of the staff. I thought they were probably exaggerating and maybe just caught one of the waitresses on a bad day.... Oh, no.... they weren’t exaggerating, they were understating the situation.

The bar maid, a slim black-haired girl, with a scowl so deep you could have driven a truck into her furrowed brow, could barely muster a snarky "Yes..." when it came time to ordering a drink. Her face showed almost a disdain for the fact that she might actually have to do her job and serve someone. Each and every time I came back to the bar it was the same - eyes from across the room that acknowledged I was there, but not the least interest in getting over to me to do her job in a timely fashion. Her drinks were poorly made, she was slow, unpleasant and rude.... all the things you'd want in top-notch bartender!

The wait staff were no better - they'd scurry to and fro taking peoples plates and drinks away before they'd even had a chance to finish them - not once did I see any of the waitresses smile or ask if anyone wanted anything.

The owner, a bleach-blond fellow, with too much eyeliner - even by a woman’s standards, was sort of semi-gracious when I arrived (if you count introducing yourself), but by the time the party was winding down, didn't even have the courtesy, as I was leaving, to come and say, "Thanks for coming, hope you enjoyed yourself, come again etc" He just looked blankly at our party when we said thanks, gave a semi nod and turned away to continue wiping down the patio tables. I would have thought a handshake and "thanks for choosing us to host your party etc." would have been correct response.

So, all in all..... if you can take the bad attitude, phoniness, and just plain unpleasantness of the people working there... then you'll probably really enjoy the food, which I must say is superb and relatively inexpensive (the DJ's pretty good too!)

For me, it's one I'll pass next time I'm walking down College Street ... I already get enough lip from my kids!

2  Thank baltar
Reviewed November 11, 2006

I went with four friends this past weekend (Saturday, 11/11). We were in the Little Italy section of Toronto when we decided to stop for dinner. It was still early and this place didn't look crowded, so we went in. We should have kept walking. The waitstaff was SOOOOO RUDE! We had a little trouble with the door, and when the waitress had to help us close it to keep out the draft, she shot us a look that was so unfriendly! When she eventually came over to take our order, she was actually rather mean. It was dark and my friend couldn't see the wine list across the room on the board, but she refused to read any of it -- just kept saying it was on the board. When we requested a bottle of red wine, she brought one out, but when we asked if they had anything else, she informed us this was already their cheapest bottle (we weren't asking about price, so that was a nice little insult -- as well as the first time we looked at each other and (after she'd left) agreed that although we'd walked in hungry and ready to drop a lot of money on good food and a few bottles of wine, we didn't want to do it in a place that treated us poorly). We were thinking about splitting some appetizers, and when we asked about the size of the salads, she sarcastically said, "Ummmm . .. they're, like, appetizers, so yeah, they're small." There was other stuff, too, like watching our waitress point at us and laugh with another server after my friend couldn't see the wine board, but we'd decided not to stay for dinner, and when we just ordered appetizers, we were given more attitude: "So let me get this straight . . . you're JUST ordering the salad and bruschetta?" YES! BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO SPEND OUR MONEY SOMEWHERE WHERE SOMEONE IS BEING SO INCREDIBLY RUDE TO US! We quickly finished our wine and snacks, got in a cab and headed over to The Embassy (an Irish Pub, I think that's the name). We had to shake off the sour mood Sotte Voce put us in to begin with, but we recovered and had a really nice evening. My advice: there are so many good, friendly restaurants in Toronto. Spend your money and time in a place that is willing to treat its customers well (or at least decently). If I want that kind of attitude, I'll stay home and invite my neighbor's whiny teenager over for the evening. If I want a nice, pleasant night out with friends, there are so many other better options.

3  Thank IzzyGS