“Decent stay for the price.”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown
Ranked #104 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Copiague, New York
“Decent stay for the price.”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Decent little hotel. Room was a good size, bed was comfortable. Short walk from yonge street and downtown. About a mile from the hockey hall of fame. The area is a little shady but we didn't have any problems. Staff was friendly and very accommodating. There is no parking so you have to be quick about dropping your bags. Parking in the area can get expensive. There is no elevator but for us that was not an issue. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to spend a few nights in Toronto on the cheap, and I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zbaby72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

This Econo lodge hotel is not much different from the others I've already stayed in. The room is fine with good space and clean stuff. What concerned me about this hotel in Toronto was the difficulty to unload the bags from the car (there's no place to stop in front of the hotel nor park). You have to do things in a real hurry if you don't want people to be angrily honking their horns behind you. We had to leave our car parked on the street because the nearest paid parking lot cost about 25 dollars plus taxes the overnight. Something else to be pointed out is safety. The windows from the second floor, for example, give view to a short roof which can be easily climbed from the street. I'd be no surprised to see someone staring at my room through the window, that's why I left the curtains closed during the entire time of my stay. The place is an option to stay shortly, but if you are up to spending a bit more for comfort (no elevator = carrying heavy bags along the corridor carpets) and security, try somewhere else!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mfzmoura
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed two nights at Econo Lodge. It was one of the lowest priced hotels in the city, but I was pleasantly surprised -- and I will stay here again. The only downside was slightly weak shower pressure, but other than this, it was great. Breakfast was good, and wifi internet worked great.

This is a good location on the edge of the university. It's a safe area and reasonably close to things: 3 min walk to Carlton/College streetcar; 10 min walk to College subway station; 5 min walk to the best Loblaws store in Toronto (groceries & ready food).

Parking is a bit difficult, as with everywhere in the downtown. There's a lot near Yonge & Gerrard that's $12 for a full 24 hours of parking, but no in-and-outs. A closer lot just one block north is $23 for 24 hours, but you can do in-and-outs as long as it's not packed.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the upper floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank mountain820
Montreux, Switzerland
Reviewed December 14, 2013

There are certain prejudices about this hotel that need to be dismissed:
- The staff are efficient and friendly (especially the desk manager). However if you are inclined to ask them a dumb question (like where can I park my car) you are likely to get a curt reply.
- The area around the hotel is EXTREMELY safe (as is most of Toronto). It is a great location (ex Allen Gardens, College street cars). But if you are the type who is afraid of friendly Ryerson University students (the campus is right next to the hotel on Gerard), then stay away.
- The hotel has all the amenities one could hope for (AC, ironing board and iron, coffe maker, bedside reading lamps, cable, alarm clock). The rooms are clean. However, if you are the type who gets queasy over a plastered wall, a scratched table or a rusty rad then you should not travel at all. Just stay at home.
- The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast (I had toasted raisin bagels with coffee and bran cereal with milk) with a free newspaper.
- I can imagine that the hotel could be noisy during the summer when it is full, but you would have the option of running the 9000 btu AC unit in your room to drown out the noise. I went off season (December) and the hotel was extremely quiet and warm.
- Don't forget to tip the maid.

Room Tip: Just book. All the rooms are equally comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Bobono A
Trinidad and Tobago
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Location - Very convenient. Easy accesses to everything you can possible want including buses and train stations. Shopping, CN Tower, Ripley’s Aquarium, Imax, Dundas station etc. Yes there r homeless people around however I was not bothered by any of them and they were not aggressive as far as I saw. It was cold so maybe everyone was sleeping lol

Room - The room is comfortable and cozy all things promised were there; blow dryer, coffee maker/coffee, ironing board, tv, cable, towels..etc It is worth the price I paid. I had a room on the 2nd floor it was bit noisy but it is the town area so that is expected. If you are looking for somewhere to stay not to expensive yet comfortable this is the place. Everything worked well even the thermostat and humidifier in the room. The walls are really thin..but you can still have privacy. U had to walk gingerly not to make the floor creak.

Hotel Staff - very helpful and pleasant ready to assist.

Cleanliness - At 1st glance it looks clean when you look closer...well oh dear :-( My worst experience was picking up a "clean" towel and finding 2 long black hair ekkkkk my hair is not black!! I dropped the towel on the floor..of course I could not leave it there so I picked it up to rest on the counter only to see I picked up more from the bathroom floor! OMG!! That is terrible! of course I requested new towels immediately but that was a horrible turn off. I noticed if you are in the room when they are cleaning they do a thorough job when you are not there well they make the bed and give the room a half way job. This was my only disappointment at the hotel.

Breakfast - Well it was ok I had breakfast there my 1st and last morning. Its is your basic breakfast sooo no eggs or pancakes but the hotel could try to vary the flavors of jams...cheese..juices or fruits. Its very boring I could not eat the breakfast for 8 mornings no way. However, coffee was always there and what they had available was filling.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor. 1st floor is like a basement and 3rd is too much steps to walk up an...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SaintlyCindy
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2013

this hotel was disgusting. unclean and in such a sketchy location, stayed only for one night, stains all over the bathroom walls, holes in the wall, i didn't book a smoking room yet got one anyways and couldn't relocate. had to have the staff come spray my room with freshener.

the pillows were too hard, tv remote barely worked. the only thing that was fine was the wi-fi.

nosey neighbours all through the night and staff did nothing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I've read other reviews.
Yes it's not the most fancy hotel but it was just what we needed and very convenient.
Most of the staff are friendly.
My sister and I have been there for 4 nights.
We've enjoyed our stay there.
We travel with my dog. We were on the first floor: it was easy to get in and out with him...and the dog park is less than one minute away.

The breakfast is good. Just a bit more proteins would be nice but we were always ok till lunch.
There's a convenience store open 24/24 at 300 ft. We got ourselves a few things that we kept in the fridge and saved on meals outside.
There's a Harveys just across the street. We went there twice for a hambergur and salad (so we had some vegies).
We didn't have any problems with the noise while we were there. It must depends who your neighbours are...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family