“I'll stay somewhere else next time.”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown
Ranked #104 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
“I'll stay somewhere else next time.”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We paid about $100 per night while prices next door were $45 per night. The location is within 30 minutes of the major attractions. No parking at the hotel. We had to pay $20 per day to park a block away and carry our luggage. The hotel appears nice and clean when you walk in the front door. However, our "non-smoking" room had cigarette burns throughout the bedding and on the floor. The bedding also contained hair. The ceiling had several leaks. The bathroom only had 1 hand towel and 1 wash cloth. We had to go to the front desk each day to ask for towels, which were stained. Be prepared to walk up stairs, no elevators. We were on the 3rd floor. The continental breakfast contains: bagels, bread, cereal, milk and juice. We opted to have Tim Hortons. We did come across several homeless people around the hotel. We will read reviews before making reservations next time. Very disappointing.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Jennahlee87

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Waterloo
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel is the most basic which is to be expected...the bed was comfy and the rooms were clean-ish. However it backs on to a homeless shelter which made me very uneasy and I was harassed for change every time I entered. Furthermore there was a prostitute standing outside the front doors when we arrived after dinner. Hotel was alright but I felt very unsafe. Will never stay there again...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laurier G
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have stayed at Choice Hotels in the past and had an idea of what to expect, but this place is a dump. I had a queen bed room on the third (top) floor. It was extremely tiny, old, the room smelled of smoke, the walls and carpets are stained, the bed has stains and cigarette burns on it, and the furniture is falling apart. My friend and I had to buy a can of Febreeze to get over the smell (we used the entire can). There were no other rooms available, as there's a big convention in town and the city is sold out.

The hotel does seem to be doing some retrofitting, there were boxes of LCD TV's in the lobby to replace the current old CRT TV's in the rooms. It feels like a very old building, and has no elevator.

Don't expect any more than a small dirty room with a bed.

If you're used to cleaner and more modern stays, like Sheraton, Four Points, Garden Inn, Holiday Inn, Radisson, Best Western, Super 8, etc, try to find that instead.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank nebularis
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Hello, I'm currently lying in the bed of this hotel waiting for my friends to wake and I thought I would take the time to review! So here goes...
Sign in was quick and easy overal pretty painless we were given two keys and quickly came to our room.. After reading lots of reviews I was worried room would be in distraught in major need to a face lift but I was plesently surprised to open door to a clean, cozy space with high end upgrades... The room included two beds a pull out sofa and a fridge ( which I requested prior to our arrival).
The location and price of hotel can not be beat we paid just 115 for the night which is crazy for four ppl in the core of the city...! My only complaints are the heating and cooling I could not for the life of me figure out how to get the heat off and ac on... So we slept in 30degree weather which was slightly uncomfortable also... The windows open which is nice but there are no screens and in this neighbourhood who really feels like leaving a window open...? Also the ppl staying above us were either morbidly obese or enjoyed pacing back and forth all day and night... Walls are apparently paper thin which kind of sucks!

Overall it exceeded my expectation! Will def come back again!

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Happy3nding
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I booked this hotel through Choice website. It was an urgent trip, and I wanted just an average hotel, to sleep for four hours. The good things are, location is very convinient, in the heart of Toronto downtown. The furniture was good and the bed was comfortable. Bathroom was clean with shiny fixtures.
Now the bad part is, no parking was available on-site. I had to park in a parking lot for which I paid another $15, plus I was not even guided properly by the front desk staff (he was really a rude person). People coming in and out of the hotel, and standing outside on the street walk were making me very uncomfortable. They all seemed to be dealing in drugs, and the girls were dressed up in tight and tiny shorts in the month of Feb. getting to my room from the front desk, seemed like going through a puzzle, but I made it anyhow.
Overall, the hotel was okay, I might stay there, if none other is available in the area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank FallsViewNY
Vero Beach, FL
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I booked and prepaid for a guaranteed queen or two double bed suite. When we arrived after traveling all day to check in, I inquired about the room and was told it was a queen. We went into a tiny room by the front desk that had a small full/double bed that would not sleep two comfortably. In addition, the a/c didn't work and was spewing ice chunks out. The room smelled of mold and mildew, probably from the dripping Water from the a/c unit. I went back and asked the clerk to move us to another room and was told there weren't any and they would not refund the amount paid. I had to argue with management for several hours to finally refund the room since there was no way we could comfortably stay there. Choice hotels toll free customer service showed in their records that the hotel didn't even have any double beds so I think it was an overflow room used by the night staff. Very bad experience...Beware!

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in the room by the front desk. It's a full sized bet they try to pass...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank robbyaly
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Went with a bunch of friends (ages 20-22) for the September 24th weekend and after reading the reviews I expected this hotel to be the worst stay of my life. On the contrary, it was exactly what I hoped for - affordable, clean, and acceptable. We stayed during the same weekend that the Grey Cup was in town so it was the only hotel that we could get on relatively short notice but even during one of the city's busiest weekends the hotel was clean and quiet. There were no "crackheads" on the corners and the Harvey's across the street didn't have any hookers in it from what I can see. The staff did their jobs and we didn't expect much out of them. All-in-all it was a regular stay at a cheap hotel. It surprises me that people would stay at an Econolodge in downtown Toronto and spend their day inspecting everything about their room. All we did was check in, get ready, and go out; as long as there were clean towels in the bathroom and clean sheets on the beds, why would anything else matter? If you're going to spend your weekend in Toronto sitting in your room then I'm sure you're going to find something wrong with it.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 122. Since it was the first floor we didn't experience the 'no elevator'...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends