“Best B&B in Toronto”

Ranked #48 of 117 Toronto B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best B&B in Toronto”
Reviewed October 30, 2005

I am a seasoned traveler and have stayed at hundreds of inns, motels, hotels and B&B's throughout North America. Havinn B&B is, hands down, the best place to stay in Toronto. And surprisingly affordable, too.

My travel companion and I stayed at the Havinn B&B just shy of two weeks over the summer. We had a wonderful stay and will book there again next summer. Innkeeper Gary and his Japanese wife Emiko could not have been more attentive to our needs.

Our unlimited breakfast buffet featured fresh fruit, fruit juices, fresh brewed coffee, bagels, cream cheese, all types of pastries and warm home-made muffins (try the blueberry muffins; they're out of this world!).

If a problem came up during our stay, Gary or Emiko attended to it pronto. For example, I wanted a fluffier pillow. The next day, Gary came back with a brand-new feather down pillow just for me.

The location, within walking distance to all the downtown places of interest, saved us lots of cab fare, too.

A B&B is clean, friendly guest HOME, not some cookie-cutter chain motel or hotel. During our stay, we got to know the other guests. Some of them were repeat customers. Everyone remarked upon the excellent value and warm family-style atmoshere. And don't forget the muffins!

Thomas Wentworth, Ph.D.
Upper Saddle River, N.J.07458

• Stayed July 2005
28 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2005

My friend and I arrived at Havinn B&B in Toronto on a Friday at 11:00pm (at the beginning of October), and found the key and directions to our room hidden in the place where we were told, as we were arriving late. When we got to our room, we found it to have only 1 double bed, instead of 2 twin beds, as requested. When you go somewhere, you expect to get what you asked for, right? So we called Havinn 3 times. No one answered the first 2 times, and the 3rd time, a man answered the phone, and I explained the situation to him. When he replied "So you're calling me at 3 in the morning or whatever to tell me this?", I was speechless and said "It's 11pm". And he said "Hold on" in a grumpy voice. After a few minutes, he came back and said the best he could do was give us an extra mattress to put on the floor, and that we could move to another room the next day and I said "Ok, that's fine." He didn't say anything. And I said "Thanks." and he hung up. That's not the kind of service you expect when you go to a bed & breakfast, motel or hotel. I wouldn't have minded staying there the whole weekend, even on the Friday with the mattress on the floor, but his rudeness was so intolerable that we couldn't stay there the whole weekend and didn't want to give them the business they didn't deserve. So we made some phone calls to try to find somewhere else to stay, after leaving a note to the owners of Havinn. It was really frustrating because a lot of places were fully booked because of the long weekend and many others were very expensive (since this was so last minute). This almost completely ruined our plans in Toronto. Havinn's location is close to downtown so no driving would've been required. We found a Super 8 in Toronto East (Scarborough), which was very nice, and ended up getting there at 1am.
The next day, I received an e-mail from the woman that also owned the B&B apologizing for what had happened.
As for the place, it looked ok. The location is good, it's close to the Dupont subway stop, near downtown.

15 Thank aliahdance