“Good value accommodation”

Havinn International Guest House
Ranked #42 of 119 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 14, 2008

The B&B was a large town house kept very clean, although run more like a hostel than a home. On the top floor we had a very large room, probably also used as a family room, with bedside table each, dressing table and large wardrobe with a shared bathroom just down the hall. This wasn't usually an issue as there was only one other room on our floor sharing the bathroom.
We were probably first down and had the pick of breakfast, comprising cake, croissants, orange juice and yoghurt, which was adequate. The location was a short walk from the tube and a slightly longer walk to shops and bars.
We had to pay cash on arrival, which wasn't mentioned in previous correspondence and was a little inconvenient, but Gary was helpful and friendly during our stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Abbeyreviewer

Reviewed December 2, 2008

When we first sent our inquiry to Havinn, Gary responded very quickly and gave us the necessary information. Everything was as the website states. The place is not fancy, but clean and simple. The bed we slept on was good. The room was warm. The continental breakfast was good, though more fruit and a selection of cold drinks (more than orange juice) would have been nice. The kitchen furniture and cupboards were clean, but could use an upgrade of paint and style. The price was right for Toronto!

Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Ndoy
Reviewed November 23, 2008

We stayed in Havinn B&B for 1 week. It was very comfortable and reasonably priced. The host,Gary, was an excellent source of local knowledge. The breakfast was continental and help yourself, there were freshly baked items available as well, highly recommeded. The kitchen had a large fridge in which you can put your own food (snacks etc) and was open for access all the time.The house was huge and not too far away from the tube and local transport. You are just north of China Town. Everything is in quite walkable distances anyway if you want to see Toronto.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank willowscreen
Reviewed November 10, 2008

My sister and I stayed at Havinn for seven nights and couldn't have chosen a better location. We arrived at 10pm after a 14 hour flight and were greeted by Gary who promptly offered to carry my large suitcase up stairs to our room.
Gary and his wife are friendly and helpful.
We never had to wait for the bathrooms which were always clean.
The location is wonderful..if your active you can walk easily into the city center if not the subway is close at hand and easy to navigate (just ask if your not sure).
The breakfasts were yummy and plentiful, fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries and different breads each day and available from 7am for those that like to rise and get the day underway early.
I saw in previous reviews comments re rooms being made up each day. This is not the case here and I for one actually preferred it that way. Clean towels are available on request and the rooms and beds are comfortable.
The inn is older and being there reminded me of being at my mothers old house I felt right at home and would thoroughly recommend. If I were to visit again I would seek accommodation at this address.
Helen ~ Australia

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank helenjane40
Reviewed October 6, 2008

3 x GOOD = good location, good price, good accomodation

I stayed in Havinn in September. As someone has already mentioned the breakfast is nice ( I loved the brown, poppyseed bread they have :-) and it is good to be able to use fridge and microwave. Now few words about the rooms - yes they also did not clean my every day but I didn't mind as I had all my stuff all over the floor ;-) As long as they are cleaned at least once a week it's ok. So:

Room 1 - just by the main entrance door on the first floor. I bet you can hear people coming in and going out.

Room 2 - with 2 double beds on the 2nd floor, overlooking Spadina

Room 3 - one double bed, on the 2nd floor (my favourite room) and even though it is also ovelooking Spadina it is quiet.

Room 4 - also on the 2nd floor, one double bed, big room but next to the toilet, opposite bathroom and kitchen; so if you like to sleep long I don't think this room is ok because you can hear people in the morning fe. if they have a conversation while having breakfast.

I had to change the rooms while I stayed there so that is how I a little bit about them ;-)

I think there are 2 rooms on the 3rd floor but I can not say anything about them.

I hope it was helpful and I hope you will enjoy your time in Toronto.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
7  Thank Ataga
Reviewed September 30, 2008

I have just returned from my eighth but definitely not last stay at the Havinn at 118 Spadina in Toronto. Gary, the owner, has been remarkably accomodating, kind, and friendly during each of my visits. This clean, character filled Victorian house provides many great benefits for the Toronto tourist and/or student. The two rooms I have stayed in have been tastefully decorated with older furniture and the beds have been extremely comfortable, Breakfast (included in the very reasonable rates) arrives in the common kitchen every morning, complete with always fresh, often still warm baking and breads, fresh fruit, yoghurt, juice,and coffee. The three washrooms are always clean, and all are situated close to the rooms. The house itself is in a great district...very close to subway, busses, ROM, U of T, and every amenity...and a lovely area to walk through, sightsee, and/or shop. I would highly recommend a stay.

Vicki Reynolds
Manitoba, Canada

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank vickiWinnipeg
Reviewed September 1, 2008

This is a budget B&B, and the owners do a lot to keep the costs down. For example, the rooms are not serviced every day (and not at all during our 3-night stay). Much of the furniture is old (some of the handles were broken on the dresser in our room). There is some chipped/peeling paint. Breakfast (which is continental: fruit, yogurt, pastries, bread, tea, coffee, and juice) is not served to you, but is set out in the kitchenette for you to serve yourself. (The kitchenette has no stove/oven, but does have a refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee machine, plug-in kettle, and dishes for you to use whenever you want, not just at breakfast time.) Also, you are asked to remove your shoes at the door.

If any of these things bother you, this is not the place for you. But it's a clean, comfortable place to stay in a safe and convenient location (one block from the Dupont subway, a slightly longer walk from the Spadina subway), and the price was just right ($60 for one person, $76 for two people, including tax). All in all, an excellent place for the budget-conscious tourist to stay in Toronto.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple