“Somewhat unfair criticism”

and 1 more site!
Havinn International Guest House
Ranked #45 of 118 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I stayed at Havinn mid March and I do not completely agree with my fellow travellers. Sure, this is not a luxury inn but for the price I believe it offers rather good value. I had a very nice room, no complaints about the cleaning and a good breakfast. Perhaps the owner has improvided things following the somewhat negative comments here. Whether I was lucky or things have improved, its hard to tell. But my stay was well worth the money.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank elias_hstd

Reviewed January 9, 2011

Not really a B&B atmosphere, more a student house. The shared bathroom makes a poor impression : dated shower curtain, worn-out lino, cracks in bath and sink. House rule : no shoes in the house, slippers are provided. But the floors were still dirty, hence so were our bare feet. Our room type : 1 queen-size bed and 1 sofa-bed. No air conditioning, but a portable fan. Breakfast : in a small kitchen on the first floor. Limited choice and you have to do the dishes yourself (without kitchen towels however). Yoghurt was not cooled. Fruit available but not enough for everybody. Coffee is not refilled once empty. No milk available for our little daughter. Places tot eat nearby : none, it’s a residential area. Private parking space in the back with surcharge. Only advantage is the price.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank zappatozz
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My wife and I enjoyed our week at Havinn. It was fine. We drove up to Toronto from Illinois for our son's wedding and were grateful to find a place like Havinn (so close to downtown) with free breakfast and speed wi-fi incl. Worry-free parking very cheap. For price and location (with lots of trees around but so near to downtown), you really can't beat this B&B. We saved plenty of money compared to the big downtown hotels and liked the homey family style atomsphere.

B&B just a block away from the TTC, but since we like short walks, we just set off down Spadina to the restaurants and shopping. Everything convenient to TTC subway and trolley cars; it's really crazy and unnecessary to use a car. There are many different eating places close by, but make sure you try the Chinese steamed and stuffed bowza (sp?) with a bowl of sweet and sour soup. It makes a real good lunch.

Gary the innkeeper and his wife Emiko were very nice to us. I don't understand the negativity. Everything we asked for like extra towels and pillows, Gary provided. The breakfast was quite adequate. We enjoyed the self-serve and homey family style atmosphere. We slept well. We ate well. It was friendly and comfortable. We parked our big van right in the back yard. And the price for the week was a bargain. If our second son ever gets married to Canadian from Toronto, we'll be back! LOL

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank PapaHarry
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I have been to a few other B & B's before and they were great, but this place was disgusting. When you walk in, it is very dark and creepy and there is no tasteful decoration at all. It is in kind of a bad neighbourhood. The host isn't overly friendly and when talking to him it is kind of awkward. Our room had no sense of decoration what so ever. There was a piece of food on the floor with hundreds of ants surrounded around this food (disgusting). There were dirty towels in our closet. We weren't given enough towels and only 1 washcloth for 2 people. There is no air conditioning so it is very hot in there. The bed didn't seem to be clean and had hair and bugs in it. We had to share a bathroom with everyone else that wasn't clean and the only shampoo and soap were little bottles that look like they had taken from other hotels (that everyone was using). The breakfast was not what you are supposed to get when staying at a B & B. It had been sitting out in the dirty kitchen for hours and was only rotten fruit, hard cinnamon buns and danishes. There was some peanut butter, nutella and jam sitting out still in their same containers from the store. There was warm juice and you were asked to make your own pot of coffee. The WORST part is that you were required to wash your own dishes. That likely violates a health code. I have stayed at other B & B's and paid the same price and it was way better than this place. Overall, I was very unhappy and felt itchy when I left.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank karatequeen
Reviewed August 24, 2010

This place is on of the most pleasant B&B hotel that i ever vivited in my trips!It is clean,good located and very comfortable.But also i will say that one best think is the nice and very human owner of this hotel!!Because i'm trying a lot and i like always to be in contact with the locos and take informations about the city who i am,this man gived me a lot of this.In some other simular B&B somebody must try a lot to find good human contact as i had in Havinn.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank isaac6
Reviewed August 14, 2010

CLEANLINESS: Floors were dirty and you were expected to take your shoes off. Sheets were EXTREMELY dirty. Ours appeared to have been used before. I asked for new sheets after 2 days and it turns out that the sheets are only changed once a week! Not after each person's stay! Disgusting. This was the lowest point of this "Inn".
LOCATION: Pretty good. 2 blocks from Spadina station so easily accessible to everything. Some nice Bloor St. restaurants within walking distance. Anything more central is gonna cost you.
ROOMS: Cable TV and A/C were great. Like I said, the sheets were disgusting. Dried blood, yellow stains and lots of hair (not mine!). I also hate places that don't have curtains that actually block out the light. Just use dark curtains instead of white ones!
SERVICE: Pleasant enough owner living on the main floor with his family. He grudgingly gave me the clean sheets, but was not unpleasant to deal with.
VALUE: This place should not be called a B+B. The breakfast was weak. Granted I had just come from an amazing B+B, but still... if you want to call it a B+B you need to do more than leave bread, fruit and yogurt out on a kitchen table and then get guests to clean up their own dishes. This is fine to do if it were a hostel, but this place is called a Bed + Breakfast. Without the uncleanliness I would say this is decent value though. Downtown Toronto is expensive.
OVERALL: This place is in dire need of renovation. The linens/towels all need to be replaced immediately and the bathroom, floors etc. need some work. I will not be going back. The dirty sheets were all I needed to be put off.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank baleener
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I really wanted to be fair and hesitated to write this because I know it will affect the business negatively. However, something should be done - and a fair chance given for improvement. I am accustomed to good hotels, so I tried to bring down my standards. I took a room on the basis of location. I had read the reviews, but decided to take a chance. On arrival the entrance looked somewhat deserted, but ok. Not really a friendly looking meeting place. A bedroom was to the right. I'm glad it wasn't mine! The front door was self locking and there was a bell to notify the owner/manager. The BandB gave a modest impression - a somewhat tired home, but acceptable. The second floor washroom was clean and adequate, but some damaged areas in the tub were repaired in a light manner - nothing that would interfer with a shower! A low budget for repairs was evident. The kitchenette had two small tables and a fridge - not much to find in the cupboards. Morning breakfast was quite adequate with bread, fresh baked rolls, cereal, coffee and tea. I think there was orange juice. - No complaints. My room was spacious. On pulling down my covers I noticed a strand of dark hair, and an eyelash - possibly happened while the bed was made, but it made me wonder if someone had slept on the sheets. I was forgiving. The sheets are also tired, and need to be replaced. I pulled out the pillows from the shams because they appeared to be much more firm. The pillows that I removed from the pillow slips were very stained! Not good. How much does it cost to replace pillows once in a while!!!! I recommend you do this! I was not impressed. The lamps and shades were dirty and so was the window sill. Perhaps a little more cleaning could be expected when you have a business happening. The mattress was adequate.
My suggestion is - a really good overall cleaning of the premises, get rid of those bed bugs that I didn't see (hope I didn't take them home with me!). I feel badly for you. Buy some new sheets and towels - since the old ones are very worn looking. The towel that I got was not clean!!! Someone may have used it to clean their shoes for all I know. I didn't use it, and I didn't complain either! Do yourselves a big favour and fix these things, otherwise business will not improve. Once in a while, some inexpensive fresh flowers and a small chocolate bar on the bed would do wonders!! I wish I could come to help out. Overseas students may be accepting, but if you want different clientelle, ie. couples, retirees etc., I suggest you put aside your pride, open your wallet and do a little shopping - the returns will be well worth it! Oh yes, and then advertise that you've made improvements - on this site!!!!
Someone who care for people who need to survive!
Good luck.