“Lots of character”

Ranked #26 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
London, United Kingdom
“Lots of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Gladstone is downtown, full of character and history. Great art and good fun. Downside is that it's noisy (might have been because we just came in from the lakes), socially the air con systems! Room full of great furnishings. Common lobby area on each floor for rooms there. mad lift needing attendant to operate

Room Tip: Rooms and main street have more traffic noise
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Will H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My brother chose the Gladstone Hotel for our family reuinon based on a New York Times recommendation. Any qualms about being a bit west of the city centre and staying in a hotel with lively late night weekend entertainment were quickly laid to rest by the quietly attentive and interested staff. My family enjoyed the convenience of the TTC streetcars that linked us to the subways, buses, ferries, and trains without the hassle of downtown parking and drink driving laws. The common areas in the two guest room floors provided a gathering place and conversation space away from the public areas of the hotel. Friendly staff operated the elevator, helped with plans, and accomodated special requests in the small, but very good restaurant/bar. A room away from the Queen Street side is best on a Friday or Saturday night if one is not joining in the late night fun on the main floor. The noise is only an issue when the crowd spills out onto the street and lingers. For my mother the problem was not so much the noise, but that up on the fourth floor she could not make out what people on the street were saying at 3am, depriving her of the chance to properly eavesdrop whilst laying awake. That small issue aside, we felt welcomed and special - the ultimate goal in hospitality.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed overnight for a wedding celebration, in the hotel. The staff are extremely personable thus making us feel right at home. The historical ambiance of the restaurant and bar areas added to the overall experience. Each room is decorated in a unique way. The overall feeling of spaciousness was apparent in keeping the original wide staircase and hallways. Truly a treasure in Toronto.

Room Tip: Our room facing north was very quiet. It was small but felt spacious because the floor was kept cle...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I'm so glad I stayed at the Gladstone!! It was cool, hip, funky and walking distance to so many other cool, hip funky places. My room was clean, my bed was fluffy and cozy the staff was polite and helpful from the minute I walked through the door. As far as parking I just parked down the block across from The Drake Hotel at $10.50 for 12 hours! I was able to get a breakfast voucher and I'm so happy I did. The pancakes with Maple butter were delicious and I don't even like Maple Syrup! Yes the shower was tiny but it was clean and I was able to wash myself all the same. I really hate to hear that other customers had a noise issue because my room was so quiet that I could literally hear a coin drop on the floor in another room. The hotel is eclectic and filled with cool art and cool people. If you're looking for a tan box with scratchy sheets this place is not for you.

Room Tip: I was in room 413. It didn't have s spectacular view or anything but for the sleep I got I reall...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had looked forward to visit Toronto for a long time and had made reservations at a hotel closer to the downtown area of city. But after doing some research we learned the West Queen West neighborhood would suit us better. I'm really glad that we did change to this hotel. Over all our stay was excellent. The staff was really helpful and service minded. Our room, called "Snapshot", had extraordinary view over the Toronto skyline. The room was small but well designed and we never had a problem with its size. Best of all is the location. There are plenty of great trendy restaurants in the area. We stayed for 6 nights and were sad to leave. Would love to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Very cool. Great for the urban traveler. Cool bar and restaurant - didn't try the club myself but seemed humming. All that is said about the noise is true. If you want peace and quiet - go to the country. This is for cool urban types. Best part of town - very funky.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I and 3 daughters had a great stay - we took the Tower Suite which is one of the coolest and most charming hotel rooms we have stayed in. The hotel has a great urban vibe within a beautiful 100 yr old Victorian building in Parkdale. Very friendly staff, welcoming cafe/bar with interesting beers on tap and tasty fresh food! Great indie restos and shops within easy strolling. Sweet views from Tower Suite and nice walk-out large patio - highly recommend.

Room Tip: Put the ear plugs in before bed - lots of street noise in our suite. (but we were expecting this and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family