“Excellent value for your money”

Knights Inn Toronto
Ranked #114 of 133 Hotels in Toronto
Buffalo, New York, United States
“Excellent value for your money”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I booked late for the Labor Day wknd. Didn't read any reviews till after I booked, that's when I started to get worried, LOL
But to my surprise I had a very pleasant stay. Upon arrival I was greeted and shown to a quiet and clean room on the first floor. It was small but most rooms I've stayed in that are in downtown cores are fairly small. I paid roughly $85 per night, a minimum of $20 cheaper than any hotel in the area & since I was staying 4 nights the savings was significant.
The bathroom was fairly recently updated. No closet or fridge. The AC and lights all worked. The bed was firm, clean. Carpets were new. Light Breakfast was acceptable especially considering it was free.
I really don't plan to spend tons of time in a hotel room when I am visiting a vibrant world class city, so this hotel really does not deserve the bad reviews I have seen. It is centrally located, close to the Eaton Centre, Allen Gardens, the Gay Village, and lots of public transportation.
I have been staying in this neighborhood for about 12 years and have stayed in 5 or 6 other places. I usually spend about $100 a night, but being a holiday weekend they were $105 to $185 a night so I gave this place a chance and was glad I did. I will absolutely stay here again.
I didn't see any mold, rodents, or bedbugs. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.
They cleaned every other day, which is fine for me since I traveled alone. But when I did need a fresh towel and an extra bar of soap they brought one right away. I'm being a little verbose but I just wanted to cover all of my experiences there and counter some of the terrible, and in my experience, undeserved reviews.

Room Tip: I guess try not to stay in the basement level. Ask for San, hes was very helpful!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night while in Toronto, was a free room from our Wyndham rewards. We had to pay for parking which was stink and the parking space was limited and horrible. The person at front desk hardly spoke English which made it very annoying.

Room was OK, very small and incredibly uncomfortable bed. Not sure if weed is legal in Canada but there were people smoking it outside all night and stupid stoners making a heck load of noise throughout the night. They must have crashed or got the munchies about 4am as it suddenly went quiet and they were no where to be seen in the morning.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed in the upstairs rooms. I first checked for bedbugs and found none. What I did find was a brand new mattress with a zipped up mattress cover. Furniture looked new. Bathroom old but clean. The only thing I found sketchy was the street level windows. One had ac, the other bottom was covered with chip board. There were shades which I was thankful for.
Staff helped me park my vehicle in the back, but they have limited spaces.
Location is great, walking distance to Eaton centre.

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2013

As a traveler, I am normally on a tight budget and as such I believe in ensuring that I pick locations that are close to where I need to go and are clean. They may not be the newest or grandest but once there is hot water, cable tv and air conditioning, then I can get by.
I had seen some of the reviews of this place and they were not all that great, but I took a chance on it anyway, as I was only staying for 2 nights.
I arrived and I was shown to room 110, its in the basement level, kind of a split level area just off the main floor. Bed was nice and tidy, linens smelled and looked clean. Bathroom was big and spacious and came with clean towels, soap and shampoo. There are no closets, but there is a hook thingy behind the door and a desk and chair. I left the room and went out to see Toronto. I got back late, say around 11 pm, and went to my room. While I was outside the door, I hear some scrabbling sounds, figured it was coming from the room next door, so imagine my surprise when I opened the door, turned on the lights and saw a huge RAT scurrying behind the heating panel. WTH! Good thing I don't scare that easily. I reported this immediately to the night manager, who informed me that they had never encountered an incident like that before. I indicated that I wanted to move to a room on the upper floors, but they were none available. I was shown room 47 and 50 in what is now the real basement. It definitely is crappy on that floor. I took room 47, which had really bad carpets, stained, no windows, a fridge that hadn't been defrosted in a while, where a previous guest's leftovers were still visible and no natural light. The bed was clean and so were the linens. Under the bed wasn't so clean. I guess visibility is all that matters. I had a really bad night, as I slept with the lights on even though I was in another room.
The next day I was moved to an upper floor, where the rooms are much better than those on the floors below. I honestly tried to move to another place, but prices and availability was non-existent.

Room Tip: Stay on the upper floors. DO NOT GO TO THE BASEMENT. Make sure room has no holes in the walls.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank missymaw

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I don't know why everyone is leaving such a negative comment. I stayed here over night with friends, and you literally get what you pay for (which is not bad at all). I've stayed here multiple times now, and i've never had a displeasing experience. The staff were very nice, and the rooms we stayed in were decent. It's not amazing (for 60 dollars a night, what do you expect?), but it's not TERRIBLE. There are no closets, and the bedrooms are small. But (to me) they were overall clean and hygienic. With the price you pay, and the great location, I don't see a problem with this motel. Also, there IS parking at the motel (I don't understand why people are saying there aren't) for $10 a night. We had free waffles and tea for breakfast. If you're in a budget and don't mind a small room, i'd recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Kitchener ON
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels, motels, inns, and hostels all over the world and this ‘inn’ rates as the lowest in all categories. First off I was embarrassed that this place existed in my country. There was no parking on sight and we had to drive a block away in a fairly ghetto neighborhood where we were asked twice for money and saw about 10 police on bikes.
I had paid for a queen size bed but we slept a double, which they still referred to as a queen. The bed itself left my boyfriend and I with extreme back pain and therefore lost half a night’s sleep. I have never seen my boyfriend in that much pain. The room left much to be desired, a window air conditioner that was very loud. The bathroom was a horrible mess, it was so small that when I, a 5’1’’ women, sat down my knees had to be moved to the side because there was a wall in the way. There was pubic hair all over and mold growing.
I hate being negative so I had tried to see some positive things about the inn, I had observed that each room number also had the number in Braille; I thought that was a nice touch that was until a few seconds later I fell up the stairs, they were uneven and unexpected. One more thing, the breakfast was one colour...white, unless you put jam on the toast to add colour.
This was an extremely disappointing hotel experience for my boyfriend and I. I have absolutely no idea how this hotel has 3 stars. I wish I would have know because I would have paid a few extra dollars for a good night’s sleep. This hotel was so bad that you couldn’t pay me to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

While I suspect they mean well the impression we got reminded me of those who arrived at the movie version. Room had electric extensions everywhere, no curtains and the air con was creating a puddle on the carpet. Apart from the small cockroach I flushed down the toilet the room was pretty clean. The breakfast of tang, brown hot water (I suspect coffee beans MAY have been involved tangentially), white bread and milk bags opened apparently by rats (based on the frayed hole in the bag) was not worth getting up for. The first six interested people for one of the bananas!

Good location given the price but definitely a work in progress. Crashing for the night - good enough. Here for a few days of rnr, aim higher.

• Stayed July 2013