“hidden gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan
Ranked #50 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
“hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2006

I was recently in Toronto staying at the Cosmopolitan Hotel. I was referred to this hotel by a friend who had stayed there and suggested that I try it since they enjoyed it so much.

The service was amazing from the time I was greeted at the door for check-in, until the time I left the hotel. The staff are pleasant and helpful but don't get in the way. The rooms were very modern and stylish.

I had a fantastic meal at the restaurant Doku located in the lobby of the hotel. Even if I wasn't staying at the hotel, I'd recommend going to the hotel just for the restaurant. They served very creative sushi and other Japenese inspired dishes, unlike any I've tasted elsewhere. All the ingredients were fresh and the food came very quickly. Plus the atmosphere and style of the restaurant was very unique.

This place is worth checking out.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

I loved this new boutique hotel. I spend a lot of time in Toronto for business and am always on the look out for great new places to stay. The Cosmopolitan is a small boutique hotel right in the middle of the business district. It is within walking distance to many restaurants and local attractions as well. Public transit is also around the corner. I also had the chance to stay through the weekend and enjoyed a great Sunday brunch in the hotel's restaurant. Friendly service, clean rooms, onsite spa and great location. I'll definitely be returning.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2006

Had an amazing experience at the Cosmopolitan's Shizen Spa. My husband gave me a gift certifcate for our anniversary and it was truly fantastic. Had the most amazing facial there from Irit - I highly recommend her. But also had treatments (massage and pedicure) from other staff members who were really good too. All very professional and nice. The spa is very clean with lots of private treatment rooms and in the most relaxing atmosphere. It was so peaceful and serene in there that I fell asleep during the massage. I have sensitive skin and often am hesitant to try new products but the ones they used were very high quality and natural that caused no reaction with my skin.

They also give you access to the hot whirpool so you can continue to relax and offered access to the gym as well but I was more interested in relaxing then working out!

If you need to relax for a few hours then this is the place to do it. The hotel/spa is very conveniently located near King & Yonge Street in Toronto, a very central part of the city.

I can't wait to come back and stay longer so I can try even more of the treatments. A special thanks to my husband Brad for this special treat - Happy Anniversary!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2006

I stayed at the Cosmopolitan at the beginning of June and can't wait to go back. I was travelling for business and usually I stay at the Sheraton but I heard a while back that the Cosmopolitan was one of the top 10 hotels in the world so I decided to give it a shot. I was not disappointed! From the minute I entered the lobby (small I might add) I felt like I was in a serene place. The front desk agent was extremely friendly and professional. He gave me some wonderful suggestions on where I should go for dinner.

I went to the spa for a manicure and pedicure and I was pampered like I have never been before. I didn't want to leave.

The room I was in was absolutely beautiful, however, there was not much room in the bathroom to put my toiletries. The view was good (looking over nearby buildings) and my favourite part was the duvet in the room. I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud.

All in all, this is my new place to stay when travelling to Toronto. The service is outstanding, the location is perfect and the staff are wonderful!!!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2006

I had the chance to stay at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Toronto recently and had such a great night there. Originally we planned to check-in and head out of the hotel for dinner but were totally surprised by the scene happening right there at the hotel. Doku, the restaurant off the lobby of the hotel was busy with people and the restaurant itself is really cool looking. We decided we’d go there instead. We had drinks first in the bar and then sat down for some of the best sushi I’ve ever eaten. Everything was fresh and tasty and they serve smaller portions for sharing so you can try many different dishes from the menu.

After lots of food and a few more drinks from the bar we called it a night and headed back to our room. The room was really comfortable and after a good nights sleep we headed downstairs for a quick breakfast before making our way to the spa right there in the hotel for his and hers manicures.

Our stay was brief but we had such a good time without ever having to leave the hotel. It was nice to have a getaway like that right in the middle of the city – we felt like we were somewhere else which is amazing considering we don’t live that far. Others should definitely check it out.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2006

I have to say that my experience at the Cosmopolitan was a lot better than some of the reports on here.

Having stayed at the sister hotel (Pantages) and Hotel Le Germain downtown we stayed here and found it to be enjoyable. Our room had plenty of windows, 3 tall ones in the bedroom, more in the liviing room plus balcony, and even one beside the breakfast bar. The living room had a nice flat panel tv as well as another smaller one in the bedroom. The balcony was small, but usable to stand out there and check out the view. The view requested was a lake view higher level which is exactly what we got. I think staying in Toronto as a tourist or even as a local one must remember that unless your hotel is right on the lake, lake view usually means partial because of the higher surrounding buildings everywhere. My suggestion is to check out the location of the building with regards to its closeness to the lake. The decor is fairly modern and contemporary. The kitchen is a good size with room for 2 dinner settings and then some, a stove top, mini fridge, toaster, and i believe there was a microwave.

Front desk staff was good, met the requests on our reservations and checked us in 2 hours before the 3pm check in time. When we pulled up no one was outside to get our bags, we only had two smaller overnight bags though. If you pull up and no one is there to help, you can simply go in and ask and someone will most likely help you with your luggage. Room service was quick to give us a menu when one wasn't present in our room and was prompt, quick, and pleasant when delivering it. The Cosmpolitan uses Hot House as their room service food.

We ate at Doku in the hotel and it was "probably" an enjoyable meal. I say probably only because we aren't huge Japanese food fans and it was mainly sushi and Japanese dishes so I can't make a fair judgment call on how the food was because i wouldn't know what makes good Japanese food to begin with. I can say the waiter was really helpful with food choices, reccommendations, and explanations if we asked any questions. The food was fresh, presented very well and we were even given free Saki to to sample.

Overall it was a great experience and I'd go back again.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Kyle71473
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2006

This is the first occasion I have been motivated to write a review on Trip Advisor having used its resources for some time. So , what triggered a critique from me? A feeling of being swindled and conned after three nights at the Cosmopolitan. We too booked this new establishment following a positive listing in Conde Nast, and I admit, superficially, it would seem to have the goods - convenient location , boutique aesthetic, enticing website.But as soon as we arrived , we were gobsmacked by a welcome which seemed to say ' Oh, some people have walked through our front door. Should they be here?'. In fact, nothing was said at all and it was up to us to politely indicate we had a reservation Having just come from stays in Quebec at the Gault in Montreal and the Dominion in Quebec City, where front desk staff were so positively charming, friendly and helpful, we were completely underwhelmed to say the least. This attitude extended to no attempt to help with luggage and an incredibly lukewarm response following any subsequent contact with the staff through the stay. Their only concern seemed to be which calming essential oil we desired in our room of an evening. The breakfast personnel had obviously partaken of these excessively.
Oh, and I suppose we should comment on the room. We elected to have one of the higher floor suites, for which one pays a substantial premium due to the supposed wonderful view. Lets say heart rates did not quicken a cent when the curtains were parted. Quickly one could determine a cost-cutting ethos had been implemented in constructing this hotel. The door to the bedroom was barely more than plywood and would not close properly. There was room enough for a kitchenette but obviously not enough for anything more than a standard double bed (forget king, let alone queen) nor for any shelf space in the bathroom to fit more than a glass of water. The 'balconies' were just unfinished concrete slab protruding from the room. Plasma TVs were in both living room and bedroom but the screen quality and channel selection meant they were both virtually unwatchable.
We did have nice cocktails at the bar one night but at $1200 for 3 nights , that's alot to pay for a nice drink. Mind you, beware. Upon presentation of the bill, you are told the bar is a separate financial concern to the hotel and you cannot charge them to your room.
An insult from start to finish.

• Stayed June 2006