“the ultimate in comfort and sophistication”

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan
Ranked #46 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
A TripAdvisor Member
“the ultimate in comfort and sophistication”
Reviewed November 14, 2005

Even hailing from the New York City area, this hotel far exceeded my expectations in terms of sophistication and comfort. The room was like a chic Manhattan 1-bedroom that you might find covered in Metropolitan Home magazine. There was a soothing zen water fountain and calming music playing when we entered the room. The kitchen is more than adequate and also beautifully designed. The bed was like a big cloud to sleep in! And we didn't use the 2 plasma tvs but they were a nice touch. The Bvlgari bath and body products and fluffy white robes were very nice (to say the least!) too.
I knew that this hotel was supposed to be sleek, but for the price point I figured it would be "nice" at best. We didn't know that it was a "soft opening", hence the great price. But that simply meant that the spa facilities and restaurant were not yet open. No biggie for us.
If I have to say anything negative, it would be that our view wasn't anything special (but it didn't matter to me anyhow). And yes, the balconies are small- not worth going on. We had a very quiet room on the 25th floor- no noise to complain of at all.
So upon realizing what a gem our room was, my spouse and I prompty decided to order sushi to-go and eat in the room. When we couldn't locate an open liquor stores, the concierge service at Cosmopolitan was more than happy to have a bottle of wine sent to our room for a mere $20 Canadian.
Perhaps I haven't been staying at the right hotels, but this place was beyond belief! 14 hours after settling in with our sushi dinner in the room we decided that we had might as well start to explore the city of Toronto and reluctantly hand in our key card to check out. Within walking distance from Cosmopolitan was the Eaton Centre mall, and lots of shopping. Queens Quay is pretty close too but I'd recommend taking a car there.
I'm sad to say that I probably won't be able to afford this wonderful hotel by the time I find myself back in Toronto. I believe that their restaurant should be ready in December 05 so I'm sure the rates will double or triple around then!
But stay here if you want the ultimate in comfort and sophistication. Even when the rates go up, it will surely be worth it!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Toronto
Reviewed November 13, 2005

Just spent a weekend at the Cosmopolitan, and I really have nothing to complain about. The valet parking was full, which was a little inconvienient, but you can park down about 1 block for $20 for 24 hours, which is okay if you don't need to take your car out. If you don't have to leave the city, you're better to park your car and cab it around anyway, because you're going to have to pay to park your car everywhere you go in the city.
The room was excellent, booked through expedia ($150 CAD a night) which is more than reasonable considering other prices in Toronto for nothing special. We did receive complimentary toiletries, and robes, and everything that was described on the website, and the maid service was great. We arrived late afternoon freshened up and went out for dinner. Back at the hotel by 10:00ish, and the maid service had already come in. I was very surprised.
On the 12th floor, right near the elevator. Room was very quiet, continental breakfast was very decent, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I've stayed at many hotels in Toronto, and I would place the Cosmopolitan right at the top myself.
I really have nothing bad to say about the Cosmopolitan.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank thefranchize
London, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2005

I just stayed at the Cosmo for one night for business and was quite happy with this unique hotel. I did not have any of the negative experiences that previous reviewers have described. The hotel is still not fully complete which I'm sure everyone who has booked there was aware of so I don't understand some of the complaints. If you're not prepared to deal with a few growing pains book elsewhere until the Cosmo is fully up to speed.

The service was excellent. The staff were very friendly, helpful and I never had to open a door for myself. The location was perfect for my business needs and it was very easy to get to.

Being in a high stress job and since I was there on business I found the serene atmosphere and the "zen like" theme very refreshing. When I walked into the room after a very difficult day it was wondeful to hear the soothing music playing in my room. The decor was beautiful and I loved the balcony which was reasonably large (which I didn't expect after reading some of the reviews here). The floor to ceiling windows were also nice. I booked the smallest room which turned out to be fine because I was alone but when I go back with my spouse I will upgrade one room size because I did find the bedroom area a little smaller than I would have liked. The kitchen area was just wonderful. Everything you needed for an extended stay (including dishwasher, plates, wine glasses, cutlery, pots/pans, washer/dryer, dishwasher soap, dish soap, laundry soap, iron, ironing board, dryer sheets, etc.). The bathroom wasn't huge but large enough for me. The turn down service was cool - incense in a bowl and a velvet bag on my pillow with some kind of energizing stone (less calories than chocolate and a nice little souvenir!).

The continental breakfast in the morning was as good as a contintental breakfast gets. Fresh fruit, pastries, bagels, muffins, different juices, a variety of teas, etc etc.

In sum, I would certainly recommend this smallish boutique hotel to anyone visiting Toronto in the future, particularly if they are looking for uniquely decorated rooms with a totally relaxing atmosphere. I'm sure it will be even better when everything is complete and the restaurant is operating.

12 Thank HeatSeeker
Reviewed October 23, 2005

Spent three nights here. There are five rooms to a floor. Make sure you get a suite. There is one room per floor that is absolutely, unacceptably small and does not have anywhere near the amenities or touches that the hotel touts on their website.

They also mention the designer bath products. Well, either they ran out of those or they don't provide them for people who book their stays through a third party service. Neither I nor my friends received any.

I understand they are still in a "soft opening" stage, but there are certain levels of service that must be met. If you are going to provide a certain level of housekeeping, turndown etc, on one day, then you must follow through on each day thereafter. This hotel has a lot of potential to be a very nice, very relaxing escape. But they will certainly need to lift their level of professional service if they wish to build and maintain a loyal customer base.

All in all, after moving to the bigger room, I enjoyed my stay. The sleek lines and uncluttered rooms enhance the relaxation factor. I suspect they are still ironing out the kinks, and eventually it will truly be a luxurious place on all levels. I will grant to them that they extended courtesy of a fabulous grand opening party during my stay. I am sure this event took a lot of resources to plan and implement and may have overextended the staff.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 6, 2005

We stayed at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Toronto in October 2005. It exceeded all our expectations, and we recommended it higly. The rooms were decorated very tastfully, and of superior quality.

• Stayed October 2002, traveled on business
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 4, 2005

Great hospitality from check in to check out (Thanks ADAM).

SUITE was on 26th floor with great lakeside view.

Very clean - extremely comfortable.

The linens and pillows were top of the line, my wife and I did not want to get out bed.

Disappointed HOT TUB was not functional yet - NEXT TIME for sure.

Our Lifestyle Manager - DARRIN was very professional and accomodating to our special requests given it was our 5th year anniversary.

ENJOY ALL ASPECTS - did not want to leave.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 18, 2005

Where do I begin?! I have never had such a horrible experience at a hotel in all of my travels. It's ironic that the entire theme of this hotel is relaxation, when in fact, it is the hotel that caused 99% of our stress on this trip.
First off, when I made reservations, I asked specifically if there would be a sofa-bed. The answer: yes. In actuality: no. It was also the first question that I asked upon checking-in, only to be told that the suite that I booked did not have a sofa-bed and that it would cost an add'l $50 in addition to the $430+/2 nights (CA) that we were already paying; that's outrageous!! It's a good thing I thought ahead and came prepared w/ an inflatable queen- size bed and, believe it or not, it was 10x more comfortable than the bed in the room- be careful as you might break a rib if jumping on it too fast. (Note- there wasn't any sofa at all in our so-called "suite", only two chairs) When I called down for extra blankets- I was brought one and told that I could not have a second, that is until I complained!!
Second, who ever heard of a hotel that does not provide parking, minimally for their guests??? We got directed to go to a ramp down the street who then re-directed us out because they too, had no parking!! We had to park 4 blocks away and what did we get, an in-sincere apology!! My opinion of this: the workers should give up one of their prime parking spots so the guests can park!!
Third- the room is not nearly as spacious, soothing, relaxing, etc as they make it out to be. Have to keep your belongings and toiletries packed, as there is nowhere to put them besides kitchenette drawers!!
For # four, I will list various problems. The refrigerator was locked when we first got there??; once unlocked, we loaded up our soda, taco salad, etc only to come back from a walk and realize it didn't work. We had to call our "lifestyle manager" who attempted to fix the fridg but couldn't, so offered to put our food items in someone else's fridge- are you kidding me?? That's gross!! We had to throw out the entire salad for risk of food-borne illness. Don't expect to need ice because there is no such thing as an ice machine down the hall- you need to call your "lifestyle manager" only to receive enough for 2-3 drinks. The hall light didn' t work, the balcony is big enough to fit one foot sideways, was told I couldn't have add'l extra towels/washcloths despite the fact we had denied housekeeping service the day before, and just because relaxation is their theme, I didn't even get the incense scent that they specifically asked to to pick!! But don't worry- you do receive a complimentary meditation CD. There isn;t enough music to calm me down at this hotel!!
Not done yet!! Upon check-out, as I had done throughout my stay, I expressed my pure dissatisfaction w/my stay. Not once was I offered any monetary compensation, despite the obvious faults of the hotel. The reason, I booked through a third-party!! You have got to be kidding- a problem is a problem no matter how I booked the room!! To top it all off, I was denied any form of a receipt (I needed it to get across the border to get my GST tax back). Appearently, they don't give receipts. If you ask me, something is shady about this place.
In the end- I wouldn't recommend this hotel for my goldfish to stay at!!

• Stayed September 2005