“Has potential, inconsistent service”

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto
Ranked #45 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Burlington, VT
Reviewed October 23, 2005

Spent three nights here. There are five rooms to a floor. Make sure you get a suite. There is one room per floor that is absolutely, unacceptably small and does not have anywhere near the amenities or touches that the hotel touts on their website.

They also mention the designer bath products. Well, either they ran out of those or they don't provide them for people who book their stays through a third party service. Neither I nor my friends received any.

I understand they are still in a "soft opening" stage, but there are certain levels of service that must be met. If you are going to provide a certain level of housekeeping, turndown etc, on one day, then you must follow through on each day thereafter. This hotel has a lot of potential to be a very nice, very relaxing escape. But they will certainly need to lift their level of professional service if they wish to build and maintain a loyal customer base.

All in all, after moving to the bigger room, I enjoyed my stay. The sleek lines and uncluttered rooms enhance the relaxation factor. I suspect they are still ironing out the kinks, and eventually it will truly be a luxurious place on all levels. I will grant to them that they extended courtesy of a fabulous grand opening party during my stay. I am sure this event took a lot of resources to plan and implement and may have overextended the staff.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Battleford
Reviewed October 6, 2005

We stayed at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Toronto in October 2005. It exceeded all our expectations, and we recommended it higly. The rooms were decorated very tastfully, and of superior quality.

• Stayed: October 2002, traveled on business
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Georgetown, ONTARIO
Reviewed October 4, 2005

Great hospitality from check in to check out (Thanks ADAM).

SUITE was on 26th floor with great lakeside view.

Very clean - extremely comfortable.

The linens and pillows were top of the line, my wife and I did not want to get out bed.

Disappointed HOT TUB was not functional yet - NEXT TIME for sure.

Our Lifestyle Manager - DARRIN was very professional and accomodating to our special requests given it was our 5th year anniversary.

ENJOY ALL ASPECTS - did not want to leave.

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed September 18, 2005

Where do I begin?! I have never had such a horrible experience at a hotel in all of my travels. It's ironic that the entire theme of this hotel is relaxation, when in fact, it is the hotel that caused 99% of our stress on this trip.
First off, when I made reservations, I asked specifically if there would be a sofa-bed. The answer: yes. In actuality: no. It was also the first question that I asked upon checking-in, only to be told that the suite that I booked did not have a sofa-bed and that it would cost an add'l $50 in addition to the $430+/2 nights (CA) that we were already paying; that's outrageous!! It's a good thing I thought ahead and came prepared w/ an inflatable queen- size bed and, believe it or not, it was 10x more comfortable than the bed in the room- be careful as you might break a rib if jumping on it too fast. (Note- there wasn't any sofa at all in our so-called "suite", only two chairs) When I called down for extra blankets- I was brought one and told that I could not have a second, that is until I complained!!
Second, who ever heard of a hotel that does not provide parking, minimally for their guests??? We got directed to go to a ramp down the street who then re-directed us out because they too, had no parking!! We had to park 4 blocks away and what did we get, an in-sincere apology!! My opinion of this: the workers should give up one of their prime parking spots so the guests can park!!
Third- the room is not nearly as spacious, soothing, relaxing, etc as they make it out to be. Have to keep your belongings and toiletries packed, as there is nowhere to put them besides kitchenette drawers!!
For # four, I will list various problems. The refrigerator was locked when we first got there??; once unlocked, we loaded up our soda, taco salad, etc only to come back from a walk and realize it didn't work. We had to call our "lifestyle manager" who attempted to fix the fridg but couldn't, so offered to put our food items in someone else's fridge- are you kidding me?? That's gross!! We had to throw out the entire salad for risk of food-borne illness. Don't expect to need ice because there is no such thing as an ice machine down the hall- you need to call your "lifestyle manager" only to receive enough for 2-3 drinks. The hall light didn' t work, the balcony is big enough to fit one foot sideways, was told I couldn't have add'l extra towels/washcloths despite the fact we had denied housekeeping service the day before, and just because relaxation is their theme, I didn't even get the incense scent that they specifically asked to to pick!! But don't worry- you do receive a complimentary meditation CD. There isn;t enough music to calm me down at this hotel!!
Not done yet!! Upon check-out, as I had done throughout my stay, I expressed my pure dissatisfaction w/my stay. Not once was I offered any monetary compensation, despite the obvious faults of the hotel. The reason, I booked through a third-party!! You have got to be kidding- a problem is a problem no matter how I booked the room!! To top it all off, I was denied any form of a receipt (I needed it to get across the border to get my GST tax back). Appearently, they don't give receipts. If you ask me, something is shady about this place.
In the end- I wouldn't recommend this hotel for my goldfish to stay at!!

• Stayed: September 2005
29  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 14, 2005

I stayed here while attending the Toronto Film Festival in September '05. I can't think of anything that was right about the hotel or its management and service. The room (suite) was unbelievably small, with no adequate areas for storage of clothing, shoes or toiletries, so within minutes of unpacking, the place is inevitably cluttered. The furniture was undersized and uncomfortable, the "hardwood floors" are plastic, the bed (for 2 adults) just a full-size, with crunchy, bad linens and no extra blankets. They advertised a balcony, which is an 18" deep concrete lip you must climb over a window sill to stand on, but it is fitting only for a plant. The AC doesn't work properly, the blinds don't block the light, the bathroom is smaller than our powder room at home, with no counter or shelf space, no bathtub, a shower that has low pressure and low temperature, and cheap, rough toilet tissue. When the tiny bottles of Bulgari shampoo ran low, I asked housekeeping for replacements, but was told there was one to a customer (2 people, 5 days) and was given Neutrogena for the remainder of my stay.

There is no food at all in the hotel, you must call for ice but it takes 45 minutes to an hour for service. The staff informed me twice that they "had a lot on their plate" when I complained that an hour was a long time to wait for a bellman. When the TV cable went out, I called to ask how long until it was to be repaired, remininding them that guests there on business need to be able to follow the news. I was told that the cable outtage was "much more inconvenient" for the staff, since they "could not get on the internet, or take reservations." I asked then for a DVD player, waited over a half hour for a staff member to arrive, who then could not figure out how to connect the DVD to the TV, and left with my disk still in the machine. I had to call three times to get my DVD back, and when the cable came back that afternoon, the TV had been inadvertently reprogrammed in the effort to connect the DVD player, leaving access to only 6 local channels. (They offer no movies or premium channels, by the way.)

The elevator doesn't work properly, and there is no service elevator, so I would often squeeze into the car with housekeeping carts, vacuums, repairmen and their tools, etc. The "fitness center" is a small room with one treadmill, one eliptical trainer, one recumbent bike and a few weights. The AC doesn't work properly there, either, so the room is hot and close.

This was simply the worst hotel stay I've ever experienced, and I would urge others to stay away at any cost. Our rate was over $300/night.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
67  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 8, 2005

Just back from canada. Stayed three nights at the Cosmopolitan and it was bliss. We paid for a city view room studio but were given a lake view one bedroom apartment. The apartment was spotless, huge television, great bathroom with Bulgari toiletries, coffee maker and kitchenette, incense to burn, relaxation cds and cd player, turn down service with healing crystals rather than chocolate, bathrobes. All this and more for $149 a night a real bargain! Im sure we would not be able to afford to go there when its fully open, my advice is to take advantage now of the opening prices. Also the location is excellent and the hotel is quiet.

• Stayed: August 2005
48  Thank Tixilix
Ontario
Reviewed September 6, 2005

I stayed at the Cosmo over this past weekend and it was a great experience. The modern construction and design of the rooms are clean and fresh - a welcome feel compared to other hotels that seem stuck in more conservative lanes. Instantly I felt welcome at the Cosmo and had excellent service throughout my stay. Although it has not been fully completed (restaurant) I am defenitly going back to check that out - I'm sure it will add to the overall expereience as a zen oasis right in the heart of Toronto.

elyk