“Poor Service”

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto
Ranked #45 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I've tried most of the hotels in downtown Toronto and this one looked promising based on its web site. First off, this is not a hotel - at least not a four star hotel. It is a condo building. There is a difference! The rooms are nice and have all the fixings (it's a condo, why wouldn't it?), but they lack that hotel feel. The relaxing atmosphere. I realized that the floor I was put on had construction going on. There was constant sawing and at first I tried to tolerate it, then called the front desk where they said it would stop - it never. They put me in another room, directly above more construction. There was no indication that they were undergoing renovations on their web site and the staff were rude. A friend tried to visit me, but he was told I would have to come down to let him in. I tried to have a taxi hailed, but the front desk seemed to have forgotten and I had to walk in the rain to flag one down. The restaurant was closed the whole time I was there. There is no way in hell that this is a 4-star hotel. There's not even a door person. The construction workers were yelling at the front desk personnel. I wanted to extend my room, and the guy said it was extended. Then I checked later, just to make sure and the woman said that it hadn't been. The only reason I knew this was my card stopped working.

The spa in the hotel, however, is very nice. But it's a separate business and not part of the hotel itself. It's in the building, but operates independently.

Room Tip: Honestly, I got the largest suite in the place (besides the penthouse). I can't imagine staying...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Andrew M
Chad R, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Thank you for your review. Your comments about your stay have been noted and discussed with the departments involved. At the Cosmopolitan we strive for great service and positive experiences and to have you share your experience at the Cosmopolitan is very much appreciated.

We are currently undergoing bathroom renovations in some of our suites in order to iimprove the look and feel of our rooms, and I apologize that this information was not shared with you at the time of booking, or checking in at the hotel.

If there is anything else that would make your future stays even more comfortable, please do not hesitate to let us know. Thank you for taking the time to share the details regarding your most recent stay.

There are newer reviews for Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto

Reviewed December 21, 2013

First the positives: very nice employees at check-in and check-out. The location is great, too.

The negatives: today even hostels in third world countries will offer you wifi in your room. Not the Cosmpolitan in Toronto. There is a desktop computer to use for a couple of minutes on second floor, if you swipe your credit card. Thats really not, what is expected in 2013.

The layout of my room was very strange with almost no space, if you travel with a large bag. The room was a little noisy, too.

I was not impressed. There are better options in downtown Toronto

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Ruedinho
Chad R, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Thank you for your review. Your positive comments regarding the Front Desk and service encountered while staying with us is greatly appreciated!

Regarding the WIFI Access, we are in the process of updating our WIFI so that we are able to serve our guests more efficiently. We are hoping this will be completed by the end of January at the latest, as we truly realize the importance of this to our guests. Thank you for your comments regarding your experience.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I never write reviews,but I want to echo several of the previous submissions. The room was very run-down, the kitchen barely functioning. The wine bar is closed, the hotel seems empty. The staff was more interested in checking my minibar than in making it a pleasant stay. The location is great, but this hotel is totally misrepresented on its website. Stay away from the spa, they don't know what they are doing. Buyer beware.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wozzik

Thank you for your review. Your comments about your stay have been noted. At the Cosmopolitan we strive for great service and positive experiences and to have you share your experience at the Cosmopolitan is very much appreciated.

We are currently undergoing bathroom renovations in some of our suites, and we are also discussing the possibility of renovating our suites within the first half of 2014, as some suites definately are looking tired and require a refresher.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I go to Canada once a year on a annual trip with friends and family and we all stay at the cosmo. And the experience is great. I have stayed in every size room and suite in the hotel. The Tranquility suites are as if you where staying in a apartment in major city. Spacious with good views, kitchen and stove, and a balcony. management and staff are very accommodating with a boutique feel answering every service call quickly. Especially Bianca at the front desk. She is great and has taken great care of me and my family exceptionally every time we are in Toronto. Very professional

There are great restaurants in walking distance. A favorite is over easy for breakfast just down the street from the hotel.

The wine bar is great downstairs to grab a drink and they have a very attractive wine happy hour.

I have never used the spa at the hotel.

Room Tip: Designer Penthouse is to dream for. Tranquility suites have best view the higher turn into all glass...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bebble241

Thank you for your review. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us when you were last in Toronto! At the Cosmopolitan we strive for great service and positive experiences and to have you share your experience with us is very much appreciated. We hope to see you again the next time you visit Toronto!

Again, thank you for taking the time to share the details regarding your most recent stay

Reviewed December 9, 2013

First of all, we were not informed that we would be charged for the room $249.00and deposit of $100.00 the day before we get to the hotel. We got a tranquility suite, shower was a disgusting state. Soap residue from the last booking was still in the shower. Wine bar is closed down, meaning no room service if you needed and no notice of this anywhere to notify customers. Upon checking out and questioning why we were charged before arriving at the hotel....front staff was very rude, spoke with Natalie and Benjamin. They have no clue of customer service at all. Ive stayed at this hotel numerous times....last time I was there, we decided to give the hotel one more chance with their service and it sucked! I will never go to this hotel again, and will not recommend this hotel to anyone. For the price, there are better hotels downtown with GREAT service rather than this one. The spa, and service you get from the spa is excellent....and this is the only thing that the hotel is good for...their spa service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Trina V
Chad R, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Thank you for your review of the Cosmopolitan. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to some of your concerns. Your credit card was never charged, however we do "authorize" a credit card to ensure we will receive payment, 24 hours in advance of a stay. This is common practice of many hotel chains. The authorization was manually released the same day you checked out of the hotel, at your request.

Regarding "Eight", our restaurant, it was closed as of December 1st, and this has been communicated on our website, as well as a notice which is still on the front desk. I apologize if you feel this didn't suffice, but we've tried our best to communicate this to current and future guests of the hotel. The front desk has created a list of local restaurants to visit, as well as a listing of all food delivery options available to our hotel.

I apologize if you feel that our hotel was not up to par in regards to customer service or cleanliness. We continue to work with our teams to ensure that all guest situations are handled to the expectation of the guest in question, and all suites are cleaned to ours, and to our guests expectations.

Again, I would like to thank you for your comments and for the review you have given us of the hotel.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have stayed in the Cosmo on Colborne several times and have found it to be a generally acceptable experience. Management seems to be trying for a boutique feel and charges accordingly however the rooms and general ambiance seem cheap and forced at times.

How many $300+ per night hotel rooms have squeeze bottles of shampoo attached to the shower wall? This results in a kind of a Motel Six feel to the place

On a more positive note the location is great if you need to be in that part of town, the bed was comfortable and I had no complaints with the attentiveness of the staff

I plan to stay their again my next trip

Room Tip: ask for a good room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank IslandHopper888

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at the Cosmopolitan Toronto! Just to ensure that you and anyone else reading this is aware, we will be doing all we can to ensure that our rooms and standards are kept up to date in order to for our guests to be completely satisfied. I appreciate all your comments and for the review you have given us of the hotel.

The Cosmopolitan is a few years old and I agree, our suites do require some rejuvenation. We have an extensive plan for 2014 to ensure our suites are kept up to par with our guests expectations, and our own! (specifically bathroom renovations will be starting mid December, and room renovations early 2014).

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This hotel is a nice alternative to some of the big chain hotels in Toronto. I selected this hotel to try a new place to stay during a convention. I am very glad that I asked for an Upgraded room. There are some nice restaurants that are in walking distance, as long as the weather is nice. If not you have to taxi to an from most places, and it make time some time to get a cab.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for or pay for an upgrade room, that you you wont feel you are sleeping in a closes.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Chad R, General Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! At the Cosmopolitan we strive for great service and positive experiences and to have you share your experience at our hotel is very much appreciated.

We hope to see you again should you be in the Toronto area!