“Exceptional service, rooms above par”

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan
Ranked #46 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
“Exceptional service, rooms above par”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our weekend here at the Cosmopolitan. The rooms were "OK", great set-up and room lay-out, but furniture, walls, floors, closets etc seem a bit dated. Bed was a little small for a Queen, but the kitchen and living room space was a nice addition. Our room didn't have a blow dryer upon arrival, and one of the bedside lamps didn't have a light bulb. The privacy blinds by the balcony door was broken too, but we didn't complain about these little things, maybe a reminder for the maintenance staff to check out!

The greatest part about our stay was the service. I had booked the Engagement Package to surprise my wife with a night downtown. Room + Treats + Champage + Rose Petals + Massage, EXCELLENT! The front desk/ concierge staff was very helpful in working with my timeline to get things right for the surprise. Melissa, Alex and Doormen were great in accommodating any changes or any additional requests I had to make! Special thanks to Bianca who helped me organize all the amenities, and was very quick with correspondence to help with ideas. You made our night!

Shizen was quaint and cozy. Part of the package included a 1 hour couples massage with Lydia and Rebecca, who were great and attentive. The sheets on the massage table had yellow stains from the oils, which they were quick to help us change. Not their fault, but maybe management can invest in a better way to get those out. The room temperature was a little on the cooler side which can get a little uncomfortable during the service. I did fall asleep during the session, which I am told is a compliment!

Overall, great service from the staff who ensures all your needs are met. Rooms could use a little bit of TLC though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear MLam0928:

Thank you for submitting such a thorough and helpful review of your recent stay at Cosmopolitan Hotel. It is always great to get feedback from guests who have enjoyed a full range of the products and services available at our hotel. I would also like to thank you for highlighting the service and assistance you received from our Guest Service team in surprising your wife and making your stay so personal and memorable. I have shared your comments with them and it truly made their day. It makes our jobs very rewarding when we receive such amazing feedback and your positive message goes a long way to reinforcing our commitment to exemplary guest service!

I do appreciate your comments on the suite and have ensured the maintenance team was made aware of the issues you outlined. We sometimes get the comment that our beds do not appear to be large enough to be queen sized, but I do want to assure you that they are indeed queen beds, (I even measure them to make sure)! Perhaps their lower profile and the large height of the headboards give the illusion of a smaller mattress. Thank you also for your suggestion regarding our decor. With each guest comment received we strive to put into effect those suggestions that will make our guest’s stay with us a more pleasing and memorable one. We are currently in the process of upgrading our suites and look forward to your feed back when we welcome you back again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Toronto at the Cosmopolitan Hotel for 4 nights in January 2013. The weather outside was very cold and snowy so a wonderful welcoming room was just the thing we needed. The Cosmopolitan did not disappoint.

Finding the hotel was very easy - it is brilliantly located off Yonge and close to Front St (CN tower) and King St. The big shopping complex (Eaton Centre) is about a 5 minute walk away as well.

On arrival the staff were very warm and pleasant. We were given a 15% off voucher for the spa and two $10 vouchers off room service. Our room was on the 15th floor and we warned that there was some refurbishment going on in some places in the hotel. As it happened the next day we came out of our room to find the entire corridor being painted but there was no disruption, work men were very pleasant and within a day the corridor looked bright and floor was clean.

I keep referring to our room - but actually it was a suite! Apparently every room in the hotel is actually a mini suite. There was a kitchen with amenities to cook, fridge and also a washing machine, spin dryer and ironing board and iron. The shower was huge and the cleaner was brilliant as she restocked the tissues very promptly which I was most grateful for considering Canada had given me a cold!

I would really recommend the spa in the hotel - very lovely and felt very pampered.
The other super thing about the hotel was the receptionist. She was coming into work and passed my husband and I on the street nearby. She recognised us (despite about 10 layers of scarves and hat) and said hello to us. We thought that was lovely as she could have easily passed us by and she wasn't in work.

I would definitely stay at the hotel again and recommend it for anyone going to Toronto. A first class place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Sarah T.:

Thank you for your wonderful review and detailed comments. We value your feedback and, even more, the time and effort devoted to sharing it with us. Feedback such as yours allows us to continually improve and correct ourselves as we strive to exceed the expectations that our guests rightfully have from us. I am especially pleased that Bianca made you feel so welcome and appreciated – she remembers both you and your husband fondly.

We appreciate your sincere recommendation and we look forward to welcoming both you and those you refer to our hotel in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was very happy with my 3-night stay here, other than the fact that they were painting the hallways on my floor during my visit, and didn't bother to let me know it would be happening. I returned to my suite after the first day of meetings to discover the hallway floors covered in tape and paper, and my door had been taped. The next morning there was a guy sanding and painting right outside my door starting at 7:30am, so I'm glad I wasn't planning on sleeping in. I think they should have warned me about this when I checked in, or at the very least left a note under my door. Otherwise, it was a very nice room (with a small kitchen), great bedding and a large shower. The staff were friendly and helpful and it was a fantastic location downtown, on a quiet side-street yet steps from the King street subway and Yonge Street action. The fitness room was small, but adequate for one quick workout and the food I picked up from the bar downstairs was very good. I would stay again if the price was right!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear surfsister:

I would like to thank-you for taking the time to write such a great review. I am pleased you found the location convenient and the staff so hospitable and I am also glad that you had a chance to try the food and that you enjoyed it.

I do apologize for the miscommunication regarding the hallway renovations. We are in the process of refreshing both our rooms and public areas and do our best to communicate our progress, but our painters advanced much farther ahead than we had anticipated. On a positive note – the hallways will be completed ahead of schedule - by the end of January, 2013, so this will not be an issue for your future stays.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Regards,

sydney traveller
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel bills itself as an "urban oasis" with a great emphasis on the peace and quiet in the centre of the city. Unfortunately my experience of 2 suites (very helpful staff did their best) was that there is inadequate double glazing, resulting in what I think is a wind tunnel effect, which to my ears was worse than constant traffic noise, as it rose and fell unpredictably throughout the day and night. Second suite was better, but the effect was still there, and unfortunately this negated the otherwise positive aspects of this hotel noted elsewhere- spacious room size, kitchenette etc.
Also paid wifi, one of my bugbears- I carry prepaid Sim cards to avoid...

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Mr. Waks:

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to Cosmopolitan Hotel on Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincere apologies for the fact that you did not have the peaceful experience we strive to provide and that it did have a negative impact on an otherwise positive stay.

I note that both suites you occupied were located on the north side of the building and while this side is usually noted for being very quiet, there is the subtle sound of air that rises from the ground floor ventilation that is perceptible to some. While most would read the sound as white noise, I certainly empathize that someone with a finely tuned ear might be affected.

I am pleased the Front Desk did try to help you. Should we get a similiar comment in the future I have advised them to try to the south side of the building as opposed to just a higher floor.

Despite this issue I note that you found the suites spacious and the kitchens useful. Ii is my hope that should you find yourself in Toronto again that you would consider trying an alternate suite as I am sure this would resolve the issue. Please feel free to contact me directly at the Cosmopolitan Hotel should you have any other questions or concerns.

Olesa de Montserrat, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed in 2010 in this hotel for three nights. We were visiting East of Canada and this city was the last one before flying to Chicago. This hotel is perfectly located. I got a huge room with dining room and separate bedroom. You also have a kitchen which is very useful to cook breakfast or dinner if you are tired after all day.

As I requested, I have perfect views of the Toronto tower and it was wonderful at night. I highly reccomend this hotel if you visit Toronto. Some weeks ago, I was watching TV and I recognize the hotel. I felt very happy remembering our journey.

Valet parking was expensive as all the hotels, but necessary in this cities. Staff was friendly.

Room Tip: You can pay if you want special room, but feel free to ask what you have paid (I paid room with view...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear siliviahd:

Thank-you for your review – it is wonderful of you to still remember your stay with us with such fondness and happy memories even after all this time. Based on your review I believe you stayed in one of our penthouse suites – the suite is stunning as is the view – especially at night!

I am glad you found our location to be convenient and that you benefited from the kitchen. I am also pleased that you felt well cared for by our staff. My only question is, “when are you coming back??”

Wishing you all the best in 2013,

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

First of all, the hotel is in the best location in the City. Easy walking distance to main attractions, restaurants, shopping and theatres. The views of the lake were amazing although the windows haven't been cleaned in some time. The rooms were quite large with a separate bedroom which was nice. A continental breakfast is offered and was more than adequate. You will need to overlook paint that needs to be redone as well as dirty furniture, but the service more than made up for it.

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra for a lakeview room as it is hard to see over building tops even from the 19...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Karen B:

While I am pleased to read you enjoyed our central location, service and continental breakfast, I am disappointed to read of your unsatisfactory experience with some aspects of your suite. Please be assured our guest's feedback is very important to us. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping staff and, as mentioned in my previous response, we are in the process of refreshing our suites to address concerns.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and look forward to your feedback on the improvements we have made!

Kind Regards,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel has a lot of potential, but I agree with some of the other reviewers that it could use some touch-ups (scour the shower tile grout, fix some chipped paint in furniture, etc.). A couple days of focussed repairs, and this place would be great.

That said, if you're more a big picture person, willing to overlook some details, it's a nice, relaxing hotel in a really good location. I have no regrets for staying there (and it would have been even better if I had stayed longer, to use the kitchen and washer/dryer).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Biederpig:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your positive feedback about our location and are glad you found the hotel relaxing – we do aspire to be an urban oasis within the city and it is good to know that you felt we have succeeded in doing so. The kitchen and washer and dryers do add an extra level of convenience and we do hope the occasion arises where you can stay longer to use them fully!

I also appreciate your constructive feedback on the condition of the suite and do agree that we have a great opportunity to make some small improvements to make our hotel great. To that end we are currently in process of refreshing our suites and public areas, having already begun some of our bathroom makeovers. While we are updating these bathrooms we will also be painting the suites at the same time and, as you have suggested, focusing in on small repairs. We will have 20% of our suites completed by the end of this year, with the remaining being completed early in the New Year.

We are confident on your next visit you will be pleased with the result and can not wait to hear what you think. I would be happy to assist you with your reservation the next time you need to book a suite at the Cosmopolitan. Please contact me directly.

Kind Regards,