“Trendy but pretentious”

Ranked #46 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
“Trendy but pretentious”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Cosmopolitan was recommended by a business colleague who stays there all the time. I agree that rates are way out line. I booked a room for $175, but it was smoking so had to change and they said only availability was a suite, so ended up paying over $200 for the room. Not worth the price for a one night stay. Was told that internet access would cost $12/day. No bathtub, only a shower. Bottled water cost $7. Mini-bar stocked only full bottles of wine for $36.... Thankfully, I was able to make a cup of tea gratis. Will never stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank borealgirl
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear borealgirl:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Toronto. Reading your review my sense is other than the the lack of a bathtub in your suite you had no issues with the quality of the suite or service you received, but only the cost of the room and services we provide. I must admit that it is doubly disappointing when a guest is sent to us based on a recommendation of one of our repeat guests and then the experience does not match expectation – it is like we have let you both down!

I would hope you would reconsider staying with us again. We are in the process of adjusting our mini bar pricing and are offering items that we feel today’s guest will better enjoy. While I believe that based on our location in the heart of the city and the size and amenities of our suites our rates are fair, I do appreciate your feedback. As mentioned in a previous post, if you can be at all flexible at all in your travel plans or book further out this will allow you to adjust your stay around less peak periods enabling us to offer you more suite choices - like suites with bathtubs instead of showers for a similar or better rate.

Thank-you for staying with us and should you have any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me.

randall.profitt@cosmotoronto.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Reviewed October 2, 2012

First of all I found a room on hotels.com and I took the last available room and paid the same amount as on the cosmopolitan website forbthe zen suite. 2days before the day of my stay I checked the cosmopolitan website again out of curiousity and found extra rooms available but something told me to call guest services before I cancelled through hotels.com and rebooked. When I called the woman said that no the rooms are all booked sometimes on the website when they are doing inventory the website shows room availabilty she told me if I did cancel my reservation to rebook they would not have had a room for us... how is that possible? The woman had no idea that the website was showing avaiable room she told me she will get the website up to date and thanked me for calling. First of all she did not even offer a free breakfast out of gratitude of my phone call. If I had not called and I did cancel my reservation to rebook at lotua instead of a zen who knows what complications I would have had to deal with. The zen suite is way to pricey for wat u get. $250 for a ting kitchen with no oven just a stove top microwave and a very small fridge filled with overly priced drinks. The bedroom was a descent size with a walkout balcony(which zen suites do not come with we had it because it was a corner suite). I was very disapponited at first mostly because I paid less at One King West hotel and I had a living room in that suite with a kitchen as well. The cosmo suite was way too much money for what you get and we were on the 11th floor so the view did not make up for the cost of the room I could see right into peoples offices and could make out the colour of their clothes and hair. I will not be returning to this hotel. Only good thing were the pillows and the mattress. All those windows would have been great if the people across in the buildings wouldnt be able to see me wink.

• Stayed September 2012
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear panopso9:

Thank you for the feedback on your recent visit to the Cosmopolitan Hotel, Toronto. We value each and every guest interaction and comment, as we know that you have a choice when deciding where to stay while in Toronto. First let me thank you for the compliments on the comfort of our beds and pillows - this seems to be a comment that many of the reviewers on this web site agree with!

I certainly empathize with your frustration over securing accommodations that meet your needs and budget during peak demand periods of the year. Like most hotels our suites are sold through various channels besides our own in house reservations. As these channels accept bookings on our behalf the rooms are removed for sale from our reservations system and our own website. By the same token had you made the decision to cancel your reservation that room would have been returned to us to sell. On high demand periods like the date you stayed the suite would have resold immediately so that even though you may have seen it on our website until you actually have completed the online booking and received a confirmation you do not necessarily have access to what you see available on line. Having said this you did everything the savvy traveller should do and called the hotel directly and verified suite availability before making your decision not to cancel.

I would hope you would reconsider staying with us again. If you can be flexible at all in your future travel plans or book further out this will allow you to adjust your stay around less peak periods. This would give us more flexibility to offer you suite alternatives including higher floors and larger floor plans for a similar or better rate.

Should you have any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I recently stayed at the Cosmopolitan Hotel and it had its ups and downs. To start the location was perfect and the view was beautiful. Our room was nicely decorated and I appreciated having a microwave and mini fridge.
However, the first thing I noticed when I looked at the bathroom was the shower. The bathroom was a nice size but the grout was black with mold and looked like it had not been cleaned in a while. When I took a shower, the drain didn't properly drain. Some other things that were weird was the couch that had holes in it like someone took a knife to parts of it . Also, the bed was a full size for two people which was not specified when we booked the place. I think that was the largest size that would fit in that room. The bed was still a comfortable fit for my husband and I. There was not a duvet cover on the down comforter and it had two orange stains on it. The tv did not work in the bedroom and the air conditioner was really loud. The fountain that was in the room did not work and I was a little disappointed about that.
We paid a lot of money for this room and I felt like we did not get what we paid for. I think it was listed as a 3 or 4 star hotel and it had problems that a 2 star would have. The next night I stayed in a 3 star in a different city and it was perfect and comfortable and everything worked. I should add that despite the problems the service was extremely friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on a high floor for the nice view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Diana K.:

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I am glad you found the location and view perfect, the room well appointed and that the service you received friendly and professional.

With this in mind it makes it all the more disappointing that what had the potential to be a very enjoyable stay was marred by issues within the suite. These issues could have been easily resolved prior to your arrival had a proper room inspection been done as is our usual standard.

I have shared your comments with both our housekeeping and maintenance teams and they have repaired the issues you noted. One thing that our housekeeping group wants to re-assure you about was the cleanliness of the shower – they are thoroughly cleaned. We do however agree that the material used during the original construction of some of the shower stalls was not the best choice for a hotel application as it is very difficult to keep them in a pristine condition. As a result of your feedback we will be renovating our showers over the next couple of months to address this issue.

I have attempted to reach out directly to you and hope that you will take a moment to contact me. We are truly dedicated to creating perfect experience for every guest every time and when we fall short we want to make it right and restore your faith in our property. We would very much appreciate the second chance to make a good impression.

Once again thank-you for your feedback and I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards

gent
Reviewed September 26, 2012

It is always good the see that all the basics are right :-)

central location, close to subway, convenient valet
nice room, calm
good bed, decent shower
clean
correct overall price

Some remarks:
not all the staff was friendly / helpfull
windows dirty
technology ages badly (as in another long gone milestone of lcd screens)
terrace of no use (cold, dark, windy)
Wifi at a price but certainly not high speed (or should this be with the basics?)
with kitchen (I love) but no decent cookware
depressing gym

As for the "design": of course always a personal thing.
This is not about architecture nor about design. No consistency from logo, fonts to furniture.
Too many forms, materials, kind of an outdated Alessandro Mendini meets office-design.

as always: choose wisely en then enjoy!

Room Tip: Stayed at 15th floor suite 1: nice calm room, but no view whatsoever
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear artica:

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am glad you found that your overall hotel experience was one of both calmness and convenience and am pleased that you felt you received fair value.

I am sorry, however, that we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations particularly as it relates to some of our technology, hotel amenities, and service. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. To that end we will be upgrading our televisions to the latest Internet Protocol television and I will be sharing your constructive comments regarding consistency of branding to our marketing team.

We all hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back you again.

Sincerely

Toronto
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My best friend and I had stayed at this hotel for two days. We thought the location was perfect. The staff were really nice no complaints about that. It was pretty close to everything we needed. The hotel was nice it was like an apartment which we thought it was neat and cooked our own food which we saved money. What I really disliked about this hotel was the balcony, way to small you couldn't even put a chair just to relax. We actually didn't like the idea having a key for the elevator. Overall, its a nice hotel but not sure if I would return back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear oliviar:

I very much appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Cosmopolitan and am happy that you found the hotel perfectly located in the downtown core and close to everything you needed.

We are very fortunate to have great hotel associates who genuinely care for their guests and take personal interest in their well being and I am pleased you experienced that during your stay. As well, I am also glad you were able to benefit from the fact at all our suites have kitchens stocked with the necessary cooking ware. This relatively unique feature for a hotel along with the availability of in suite washers and dryers makes the Cosmopolitan an affordable luxury.

While I notice your overall review was favourable you have indicated you are not sure you would come back. I would hope that you would reconsider and if you do that you would contact me personally. We do have different sizes of balconies and I am sure we could find one that would meet your needs.

Ohio
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Cosmopolitan is easy walking distance to/from Union Station. It is located on Colborne, just off Yonge St. Colborne is not well marked (never did see a sign that said 'Colborne'). Thankfully the hotel had banners hanging at the entrance that could be seen from Yonge St. Also, at night, the front of the building has decorative lighting, which is helpful when walking back from a restaurant.

I stayed in 2301 for 2 nights. The room was well appointed and comfortable. The floor to ceiling windows, although they looked out at other buildings, were nice for natural lighting. The narrow L-shaped balcony was unexpected and gave the impression of more living space to the room.

The room looked clean, however I have a complaint. The linens smelled offensive. As soon as I walked into the bed area, I noticed an overwelming odor that I can only describe as "smelly unwashed hair." By the second night the odor was not as prominent, but still present. I suggest management do a quality control check on their laundry service processing, including verification that they are using the correct amount of detergent. Another minor complaint - - the little air purifier(?) appliance located under the bedside stand, the grills are full of dust & lint - - I didn't bother using it.

Over-all, I would come back if the opportunity presented itself.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank GenCo101
Dear GenCo101:

Thank you for your posting and your feedback. We are happy to hear that you found the room well appointed and comfortable and that you appreciated the natural light the floor to ceiling windows afforded.

I apologize, however, that your visit did not exceed your expectations. We appreciate you bringing the linen and air purifier issues to our attention. Based on your feedback we will be cleaning all our air purifiers and moving them off of the floor. While I do believe the issue with the linens was an isolated incident we take your comments very seriously and have added some extra quality control procedures to our laundry process that will address your suggestions.

We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Cosmopolitan Hotel and that you will find your issues addressed and your overall experience much improved!

Warm Regards

Sorocaba, SP
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at Cosmopolitan Toronto from September 12 to 15. The hotel is really beatifull and has an excelent location, walking distance from CN Tower, Rogers Centre, the Distillery District and other attractions. It's also near from a subway station wih is good, since the traffic in Downtown area is pretty bad.

The hotel has nice instalations, with a small kitchen and living room, washing/dryer machine and a very confortable bed. The view from our room was not good but it was still a good room.

The attendants were really kind and helped us in every way, including directions, restaurant recommendations and other tips to enjoy the city. It was a pleasure to stay at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear rac_br:

Thank you for posting such a great review regarding your experience at The Cosmopolitan Hotel. It is gratifying to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our suites well appointed and beds so comfortable – a good night’s sleep really does make all the difference when travelling - whether on business or pleasure. The comfort of our beds seems to be a common theme throughout many of our online reviews so we are pleased you found this to be true as well.

I am especially delighted that our staff were so helpful and caring and in their approach. We take pride in knowing that our staff will make every effort to personalize our guest’s stay and make them feel comfortable. I will be sure to share your kind compliments to the team.

Once again thank you for taking the time to share your experience!