“Nice room but a lot of problems”

Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto
Ranked #44 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I recently stayed at the Cosmopolitan Hotel and it had its ups and downs. To start the location was perfect and the view was beautiful. Our room was nicely decorated and I appreciated having a microwave and mini fridge.
However, the first thing I noticed when I looked at the bathroom was the shower. The bathroom was a nice size but the grout was black with mold and looked like it had not been cleaned in a while. When I took a shower, the drain didn't properly drain. Some other things that were weird was the couch that had holes in it like someone took a knife to parts of it . Also, the bed was a full size for two people which was not specified when we booked the place. I think that was the largest size that would fit in that room. The bed was still a comfortable fit for my husband and I. There was not a duvet cover on the down comforter and it had two orange stains on it. The tv did not work in the bedroom and the air conditioner was really loud. The fountain that was in the room did not work and I was a little disappointed about that.
We paid a lot of money for this room and I felt like we did not get what we paid for. I think it was listed as a 3 or 4 star hotel and it had problems that a 2 star would have. The next night I stayed in a 3 star in a different city and it was perfect and comfortable and everything worked. I should add that despite the problems the service was extremely friendly and professional.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on a high floor for the nice view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Diana K.:

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I am glad you found the location and view perfect, the room well appointed and that the service you received friendly and professional.

With this in mind it makes it all the more disappointing that what had the potential to be a very enjoyable stay was marred by issues within the suite. These issues could have been easily resolved prior to your arrival had a proper room inspection been done as is our usual standard.

I have shared your comments with both our housekeeping and maintenance teams and they have repaired the issues you noted. One thing that our housekeeping group wants to re-assure you about was the cleanliness of the shower – they are thoroughly cleaned. We do however agree that the material used during the original construction of some of the shower stalls was not the best choice for a hotel application as it is very difficult to keep them in a pristine condition. As a result of your feedback we will be renovating our showers over the next couple of months to address this issue.

I have attempted to reach out directly to you and hope that you will take a moment to contact me. We are truly dedicated to creating perfect experience for every guest every time and when we fall short we want to make it right and restore your faith in our property. We would very much appreciate the second chance to make a good impression.

Once again thank-you for your feedback and I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 26, 2012

It is always good the see that all the basics are right :-)

central location, close to subway, convenient valet
nice room, calm
good bed, decent shower
clean
correct overall price

Some remarks:
not all the staff was friendly / helpfull
windows dirty
technology ages badly (as in another long gone milestone of lcd screens)
terrace of no use (cold, dark, windy)
Wifi at a price but certainly not high speed (or should this be with the basics?)
with kitchen (I love) but no decent cookware
depressing gym

As for the "design": of course always a personal thing.
This is not about architecture nor about design. No consistency from logo, fonts to furniture.
Too many forms, materials, kind of an outdated Alessandro Mendini meets office-design.

as always: choose wisely en then enjoy!

Room Tip: Stayed at 15th floor suite 1: nice calm room, but no view whatsoever
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear artica:

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am glad you found that your overall hotel experience was one of both calmness and convenience and am pleased that you felt you received fair value.

I am sorry, however, that we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations particularly as it relates to some of our technology, hotel amenities, and service. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. To that end we will be upgrading our televisions to the latest Internet Protocol television and I will be sharing your constructive comments regarding consistency of branding to our marketing team.

We all hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back you again.

Sincerely

Reviewed September 25, 2012

My best friend and I had stayed at this hotel for two days. We thought the location was perfect. The staff were really nice no complaints about that. It was pretty close to everything we needed. The hotel was nice it was like an apartment which we thought it was neat and cooked our own food which we saved money. What I really disliked about this hotel was the balcony, way to small you couldn't even put a chair just to relax. We actually didn't like the idea having a key for the elevator. Overall, its a nice hotel but not sure if I would return back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear oliviar:

I very much appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Cosmopolitan and am happy that you found the hotel perfectly located in the downtown core and close to everything you needed.

We are very fortunate to have great hotel associates who genuinely care for their guests and take personal interest in their well being and I am pleased you experienced that during your stay. As well, I am also glad you were able to benefit from the fact at all our suites have kitchens stocked with the necessary cooking ware. This relatively unique feature for a hotel along with the availability of in suite washers and dryers makes the Cosmopolitan an affordable luxury.

While I notice your overall review was favourable you have indicated you are not sure you would come back. I would hope that you would reconsider and if you do that you would contact me personally. We do have different sizes of balconies and I am sure we could find one that would meet your needs.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Cosmopolitan is easy walking distance to/from Union Station. It is located on Colborne, just off Yonge St. Colborne is not well marked (never did see a sign that said 'Colborne'). Thankfully the hotel had banners hanging at the entrance that could be seen from Yonge St. Also, at night, the front of the building has decorative lighting, which is helpful when walking back from a restaurant.

I stayed in 2301 for 2 nights. The room was well appointed and comfortable. The floor to ceiling windows, although they looked out at other buildings, were nice for natural lighting. The narrow L-shaped balcony was unexpected and gave the impression of more living space to the room.

The room looked clean, however I have a complaint. The linens smelled offensive. As soon as I walked into the bed area, I noticed an overwelming odor that I can only describe as "smelly unwashed hair." By the second night the odor was not as prominent, but still present. I suggest management do a quality control check on their laundry service processing, including verification that they are using the correct amount of detergent. Another minor complaint - - the little air purifier(?) appliance located under the bedside stand, the grills are full of dust & lint - - I didn't bother using it.

Over-all, I would come back if the opportunity presented itself.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank GenCo101

Dear GenCo101:

Thank you for your posting and your feedback. We are happy to hear that you found the room well appointed and comfortable and that you appreciated the natural light the floor to ceiling windows afforded.

I apologize, however, that your visit did not exceed your expectations. We appreciate you bringing the linen and air purifier issues to our attention. Based on your feedback we will be cleaning all our air purifiers and moving them off of the floor. While I do believe the issue with the linens was an isolated incident we take your comments very seriously and have added some extra quality control procedures to our laundry process that will address your suggestions.

We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Cosmopolitan Hotel and that you will find your issues addressed and your overall experience much improved!

Warm Regards

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at Cosmopolitan Toronto from September 12 to 15. The hotel is really beatifull and has an excelent location, walking distance from CN Tower, Rogers Centre, the Distillery District and other attractions. It's also near from a subway station wih is good, since the traffic in Downtown area is pretty bad.

The hotel has nice instalations, with a small kitchen and living room, washing/dryer machine and a very confortable bed. The view from our room was not good but it was still a good room.

The attendants were really kind and helped us in every way, including directions, restaurant recommendations and other tips to enjoy the city. It was a pleasure to stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear rac_br:

Thank you for posting such a great review regarding your experience at The Cosmopolitan Hotel. It is gratifying to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our suites well appointed and beds so comfortable – a good night’s sleep really does make all the difference when travelling - whether on business or pleasure. The comfort of our beds seems to be a common theme throughout many of our online reviews so we are pleased you found this to be true as well.

I am especially delighted that our staff were so helpful and caring and in their approach. We take pride in knowing that our staff will make every effort to personalize our guest’s stay and make them feel comfortable. I will be sure to share your kind compliments to the team.

Once again thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I booked this hotel as it sounded like a good place to chill out and get caught up with my best friend. What really sold me was the mention of the private balcony and cityscape views. I thought it would be so nice to hang out on the balcony with a glass of wine and take in the city. In reality, there is no furniture to sit on the balcony, and you are basically sitting in an alley. Looking around, all of our neighbours had balconies, too, but nobody was using them because they really weren't comfortable or appealing in any way. The location of the hotel was good for proximity to Kensington Market and the Distillery district. We had massage treatments at the Shizen spa in the hotel. It was good but didn't really stand out as anything special/spectacular.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LeaniePuma
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear LeaniePuma:

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I was pleased to hear that you found our location convenient and that you had an opportunity to enjoy a massage at our Shizen Spa. However, I am sorry that you felt the rest of your stay fell short of your expectations due to the size of our balconies and the fact that the location of your suite did not afford the best views of Toronto.

Our Reservations Department is very good at honouring requests and informing guests when certain requests cannot be guaranteed due to issues like higher occupancy levels.

It would be helpful if you could contact me directly to assist me in determining who you booked your reservation with and how your request for a city view did not get honoured. At the same time we could also discuss the possibility of you giving us the opportunity to welcome you back again – this next time to enjoy a proper city view which can be spectacular from The Cosmopolitan.

Warm Regards

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights and really enjoyed it. The staff is very nice and the room was nice as well. Had an issue with the type of room that I got after paying for an upgrade but that was promptly fixed to my satisfacation by one of the Managers when I called after our trip. The rooms are nice, clean and we enjyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Randall P, Manager at Executive Hotel Cosmopolitan Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear jiffypop101:

I am delighted to hear that your five nights with us went so well and that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating.

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Regards,