“One of the Best Shows Ever”
Review of Ed Mirvish Theatre

Ed Mirvish Theatre
Ranked #11 of 521 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Ed Mirvish Theatre began its life in 1920 as a combination vaudeville and motion picture theatre in the Pantages theatre circuit. With its original 3373 seats, it was the largest cinema in Canada and, with its lavish interior - designed by the great theatre architect Thomas Lamb - the most elegant. David Mirvish officially renamed the iconic building The Ed Mirvish Theatre on December 6, 2011.
Reviewed February 26, 2014

we went to see HeartBeat of Home. The dancing was riveting and music superb. Hope it comes back so I can go again and take the rest of my family.

There are newer reviews for Ed Mirvish Theatre

Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a spectacular musical filled with music, dance, humour, and overall fun. The group is a solid, flawless team of performers. I don't know where the two hours of the show went; this is how mesmerized I was. I highly recommend this show to anyone.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

The theatre itself is beautiful, and kept in very good condition. Having been here a number of times to see shows, we're always impressed with this theatre, the sights, and the sounds. Excellent place to see a show.

We saw Heartbeat of Home here, and after seeing Riverdance 6 times over the years, were excited to see something new. This show was good, but not great. I'm glad we saw it, and the dancing and music was very good, but I don't feel the need to see it again, which is always a good test for me. If I could see Riverdance again, I'd rush to see it right away. Heartbeat of Home, while good, just didn't give me that same feeling. We did not appear to be alone in that feeling. The audience just never really seemed to get into this show, with the standing ovation at the end feeling very forced, because that's what you're supposed to do at the end, right?

If you're going to this show hoping to see traditional irish dancing, you will be disappointed. If you loved Riverdance, and are looking for a new version of that, you will be disappointed. This is no Riverdance (if you haven't noticed, I REALLY liked Riverdance :) ). This show focuses on dancing obviously, but there is a lot of singing, and the dancing is more of a fusion of irish, flamenco, hip hop, and tap all muddled together. A dance production with an identity crisis. The dancers are very talented without question, but there's just so much going on at times that it's difficult to appreciate any of it. There were also a few times when you felt you were watching a cruise ship performance, it just got a little too "kitchy".

My recommendation is to go to this show, but go with zero expectations. Don't go in thinking that you know what to expect, go in with an open mind. This is not an irish dance-based show, this is a variety dance-based show, with a wide range of dancing, singing, and music for your audio and visual pleasure. Forget about Riverdance, they never should have compared this with that in the first place, it's just not that kind of show. If you can do that, if you can go in with an open mind and just be prepared to appreciate it for what it is, you'll really enjoy it.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Amazing show! I always liked Irish dancing but this show will blow away your imagination! A world-class cast of 38 of the best Irish, Latin and Afro-Cuban dancers and musicians performing for two hours non stop. When you feel like only 15' and surprised it is over you know how great this show is. Toronto is just the first stop on its North American tour and if you can go and see you will not regret it!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Neither me nor my friend had ever seen Riverdance, so this was a first of this type of dance - worth the time and effort for sure. The Irish Dancers are fantastic - juxtaposed to the Flamenco dancers and the Inner City ones - so well choreographed. When you go, keep an eye on the female of trio of InnerCity dancers. In particular, watch her hands and arms - the most expressive I've ever seen. They draw you in to the story. I'm not waxing poetic - it's true :) And the Bodran (sp?) player - very cool…..actually a really really good band. Everyone seemed so personable.