“A true 'suite' hotel and excellent value at the airport”

Residence Inn Toronto Airport
Ranked #53 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed July 5, 2010

This is the only hotel we've found near the airport which offers a true "suite" -- a full kitchen with dishes and utensils and a bedroom separate from the roomy living area. When we need to stay near the airport this is our hotel of choice. i would say its many amenities /advantages are more apparent during a multi-day stay than during a one-night stay.
It is spacious, clean, quiet and efficient, with friendly service and an excellent free breakfast buffet (including healthy options). Parking is also free whereas other airport hotels charge $8, $12 or more, per night. . It would be nice to have covered front and back entrances where bags could be unloaded with protection from inclement weather. That's about the only shortfall we noticed.

This is not a luxury, boutique or honeymoon hotel. It's clean, comfortable, well-run, well-appointed, with friendly staff and great amenities at an excellent price. Good choice for businessmen and families who are staying near the airport for a few days. The hotel grounds and immediate environs are not interesting or attractive, but they are clean, tidy, safe, quiet and within walking distance of some chain restaurants.

The photos taken by one of the reviewers don't look anything like the room we stayed in during Fall 2009. Our King suite was nicely furnished, with contemporary furniture in very good condition, good quality bed linens, comfortable bed and lots of good towels. Pots and pans were clean and sturdy. A good supply of dishes, glasses and cutlery, and a dishwasher. Lots of hot water, everything in good running order. We had absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 2, 2010

Me and my husband stayed in this hotel for the last night of our 2 week tour of eastern Canada, we wanted somewhere close to the airport to chill out in following all the sightseeing. The check in was very efficient and the receptionist was really friendly. I had requested a room close to the lifts and extra feather pillows. I got exactly what I asked for we couldn't have been closer to the silent lifts. The size of the room was amazing, a fully fitted kitchen, lounge area, bedroom with luxuriously comfortable king size bed, a changing room with wash bowl / vanity unit leading to the bath /shower room. Everything was modern and spotlessly clean with a TV and free wifi.

We made full use of the indoor pool and jacuzzi and the free hot breakfast was plentiful and very fresh. Although we arrived late in the evening there was a choice of places to eat within a 5 minute walk of the hotel. The free shuttle to the airport took lass than 10 minutes. Should we return to Toronto we would certainly use this hotel again and highly recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2010

1st off this hotel does not have a roof at its entrance, so when you unpack your car at check in or check out, or when putting any gear in and out of the car, you are going to get wet, when it is raining, and it rains a lot in Toronto. You also cannot drop off or pick up the family when it is raining. My wife hates wet hear!!!
Check in was fast and easy. Parking was fine did not have to pay which is nice because some hotels charge in this area. The rooms are very roomy and clean. Our room was a two room suite. The bedroom and bathroom are very nice. The sink is outside of the shower room. The living room has the hated fold out sofa!!!!! This had to be the worst bed that I had to sleep on in years. I even hate to call it a bed. I’ve been on tent floors that were better to sleep on. lol!!! The bedroom only had a king bed in it. Which my 15 year old got. And a 15 yr old cannot sleep with his father??? I asked for a room with two beds but was told, we only have a few rooms with two beds. There also was a full kitchen in the room, which we did not us. But I looked it over and it looked ok, if we would have used it. I would bring my own pans to cook with. I’ll bet what was there would be too sticky to cook with???
The free breakfast in the lobby was complete, hot and good. You do not have to go out to eat breakfast.
Over all I would stay here again but only with a room with two beds, and pray for sun.
I cannot believe that I paid for a room with a fold out bed in it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TimP77
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I stayed at this hotel as I was attending a conference at the Sheraton and overflow registrants were put at the Residence Inn. The hotel was very clean (and I'm fussy!) and the staff helpful. I did not have the continental breakfast as I was eating at the Sheraton with colleagues at the conference. But, in speaking with others I was lucky to be at the Residence Inn as the rooms are suites and much larger than a regular room. The cost was $145.00 which I'm sure my group got as a special rate and can't imagine the regular price. Great place!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank neatfrk
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Stayed here one night in late February, room 146. The cab ride from the airport was $18 which seemed a little stiff to get here. The check-in was quick and efficient though it should be at 1230 in the morning. The room was clean and had a full kitchen, though the counter tops and appliances seemed a little old. There was a two person table and chairs for meals and a sofa with coffee table and end tables in the living room with the tv. The bedroom had a king bed and a tv with the bathroom as an ensuite. The sink was outside of the toilet and shower area. The shower had some mildew and seemed on the older side. I couldn't control the heat in the room so it was very warm to sleep. The bed was reasonably comfortable.

Breakfast in the morning is included and was fairly extensive. The dining room is a little on the small side so you have to be early if you want a table. There are no cabs that wait out front for you so you will have to arrange for one in advance or call for one at the time and wait.

Didn't spend a lot of time in the room, basically checkin, sleep, and check out. Would probably stay here in the future if the price is right.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2010

Stayed here picking up spouse at the airport. The staff is very nice and professional, room was clean and spacious, and has a kitchen with cooktop, microwave, fridge and is equipped. There are 2 TVs and plenty of channels. There's a free hot breakfast in the morning,and most weekdays there's an evening social event in the same room. The night I was there it was chicken stir fry night, and the night before was Mexican night. We enjoyed the pool and whirlpool. Another bonus, parking is free, which is unusual. There's a free shuttle which needs to be reserved in advance, and you'll need to call for it from the airport.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SueKA
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We did the Sleep, Park, & Fly option here as we had a fairly early flight out of Toronto, and we live an hour (or more with traffic) from the airport. We've learned the hard way not to take chances with that drive, especially in the winter!

Anyway, we didn't get in until about 9 pm and left the next morning at 6:40, so I don't have a lot to review here. I can tell you the following:
-the rooms are clean and spacious. We've stayed at the Residence Inn in downtown Toronto as well, and the room layout was very similar. It would probably be ideal for a longer stay, since you have the kitchenette and "living room" area separate from the bedroom.
-Breakfast on the weekend doesn't start until 7, so we asked if there was a way to get some breakfast to go. They don't offer anything (I know many hotels do "to go bags" with muffins, yogurt, fruit--something like that), but we were told that they started setting up breakfast early so we could just take whatever was out. Unfortunately, there wasn't much out yet at 6:30, so we just had coffee and ate some food that I'd packed just in case.
-The airport shuttle seems to run on a set schedule, every 30 minutes (10 and 40 past the hour). It does stop at one other hotel on the way to the airport. I got nervous when we did that, because we were already a few minutes later than I wanted to be, but it was a quick stop and then we were at the airport right away. Terminal 3 was the shuttle's first stop for us, so if you're going to Terminal 1 you may want to allow a few more minutes.
-We were able to park our car right beside the hotel, so I felt it was really safe. And when we came home, our car was just fine--I know that can be a worry with some airport park & fly hotel deals, so I thought it was worth mentioning.
-To get the shuttle back from the airport, apparently you are supposed to use a courtesy phone in the terminal. In terminal 3 we never saw these phones (we heard later that they were at the opposite end of the terminal from the shuttle pick up point. Obviously that's not the hotel's fault, it's the airport's!), so when we got out to the pick up point we say the sign that said call for pick up and just called from our cell. The operator didn't give us any specific information about how long it would be, but said they were sending the shuttle for us, so we assumed it wouldn't be long. It was about 30 minutes before the shuttle turned up! However, it turned out that the driver had been told by the dispatcher that we were at terminal 1, so he had been sitting there for a LONG time before he called back in and they gave him the correct information. I felt bad for him, and even worse for the other couple who had apparently been stuck sitting on the shuttle all that time while he waited for us. I'm guessing this is an aberration and that normally pick-up would be pretty prompt.

All in all, we would probably stay here again on a future early morning flight. I will look at some of the other options, and will probably read the breakfast times everywhere closely--it would be nice to eat before heading to the airport!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple