“A great place to stay!”

Ranked #24 of 114 Toronto B&B and Inns
Texas
“A great place to stay!”
Reviewed September 16, 2007

We stayed at the Annex Quest House for one week during the Toronto Film Festival. The inn was clean, quiet and next door to the subway station. Dion and the staff were friendly and helpful. The complimentary granola bars and bottled water were greatly appreciated! The bathroom was dimly lit and had one tiny mirror over the sink. A second, larger mirror in the room would be a welcomed addition. The neighborhood has a great student/bohemian feel and there are several restaurants within walking distance.

• Liked — Friendly staff, location, complimentary bottled water.
  • Disliked — Lack of mirrors and lighting in the room.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
12 Thank ZWheeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Dundas, ON
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I heard about the AQH through a friend and booked a weekend in town for a conference. While the inn is small, my room was clean and cozy with wood floors and colorful tapestries. I had access to wireless from my room and a small fridge to keep food and drinks. The lobby contained no-charge drinks and healthy snacks that I could take to my room. I had a key that let me in to the building after hours and I felt like I had enough privacy from my fellow guests.

All in all, this was a good experience for one that is used to staying in hotels. I would do it again and recommend it to anyone who may be looking for inexpensive and comfortable accommodations.

• Liked — convenience and amenities
  • Disliked — stairs to room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
12 Thank BibbyGirl
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed September 5, 2006

I stayed at the Annex Quest House in Toronto for two weeks in late August, early September and was very pleased. Both manager and assistant were most helpful. The room was chic and comfortable. The mattress was firm but not hard, just the way I like it. Putting the attractive vessel sink outside the bathroom gave the room a larger visual space.

The room was equipped with A/C, small fridge, microwave, coffee maker and coffee, TV, alarm clock and telephone. No charge for local calls! I was able to buy a one cent / minute international phone card with a local access number and call home to the US for practically nothing.

I just came back from a trip to Italy where I spent a lot more money for the same amount of space with a lot less charm. My two week stay at the AQH in Toronto ran me just over $400 / week, and that included complimentary bottled water, snack bars and coffee. I highly recommend it and will definitely stay there again if I’m in Toronto.

• Liked — Room decor and price.
  • Disliked — Stairs.
  • Tips/Secrets — The subway next door has no escalator or elevator, but the one a block and a half away does.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
12 Thank mbmcgarry
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 16, 2005

Was there for a week. This place is one of a kind. I was checked in by the manager and he was kind enough to show me several of the rooms available. Each room is decorated differently. Very unique and clean. Unlike hotels with same kind of bedspread and furniture. Understand that most of the furniture in the House was specially made.

Location, location, location! Subway station is just beside the building and you do not get to hear or feel the train. Very quiet and relaxing place. Walking distance to grocery store and cafes and restaurants.

Service was excellent! Bottles of water, fruit basket, and snacks for late night craving. A very nice touch! It was a wonderful trip. The Asian manager was very polite and friendly.

A nice place to be in the city but not have the noise and crowd from the city.

• Stayed October 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Plymouth, MA
Reviewed September 14, 2005

I was expecting a bit more from the web site, which proclaims that you will be pampered "body, mind, and soul." Except for some nice smelling soap, that was about the extent of the pampering. The room was furnished interestingly, with walls painted a deep red/purple color, and some nice furniture pieces, but I found the bed to be really hard and for this reason would not return. Room was clean enough, but I found several long hair strands, one on the sheet, one in the tub, in the towels, and in the sink.
The copper sink bowl was pretty, but impractical to use.
There was a brew and go cup coffeemaker in the room, but when I went to use it, a roach crawled out. Since this is a guest house, not a B&B, no breakfast was served, but there are cafes nearby. When I came back to the inn the first night, granola bars and bottles of water had been left on a table in the hallway, which was a nice touch. I thought I would grab one of each in the morning. However, a noisy group left before me, and took every last one. The next night, none were put out.
I was there for two nights and both mornings, very early, a pigeon was roosting and making lots of noise on the window air conditioner. In fact, it kept pecking the accordian fold in the space between the unit and the wall, trying to get in, which was very annoying.
The owner checked me in, and I didn't find her too friendly, considering she was the owner and not just a staff person. Location is definitely convenient but I'd stay in a regular B&B and hope for a more comfortable bed the next time.

• Stayed September 2005
94 Thank Kim G
sebillba
Reviewed July 5, 2005

On arrival we were met by a friendly member of staff and through our stay people we met who worked or owned the place were friendly and polite.

The location is very handy for the Spadina subway and streetcar system which is accessed by the building next door. This covers virtually all of Toronto.

Unfortunately we found the room facilities did not meet the needs of a traveller. The bed and cleanliness of the room was very good. The décor is nice and the ethos is good .The tired traveller requires more practical and physical needs in a room.

1.A sensible sink (this was a trendy beaten copper raised bowl) preferably inside the bathroom with a drainage plug to hold water for washing and shaving. Think of the pure wastage of hot water constantly running for the sacrifice of a trendy looking bowl.

2.A large practical mirror to use for shaving and all other uses.The tiny (1x2 foot inside a cupboard) mirror was much too inadequate I'm not sure how people who worry about hairstyles and make up would manage. More than one mirror would have been even better.

3. There were only 3 hangers in the room. We had lots of items we wanted to hang up from creasing.If guests were pinching them make sure they are the type that can not be taken.

4. When the room is facing on the sunny side in the daytime and towards the street with bright street lighting at night a slack Venetian blind is not enough. Proper drapes are needed. I could read a book at 4am and wear sunglasses in the room in the day.

5. The air conditioning unit was badly needed. Our room was in the eaves of the house so was really hot. In preparation for our arrival it had not been turned on and it was like walking into a furnace. We found why it wasn't on when we switched it on ourselves. I think the bearings were worn and it was so loud we couldn't hear the TV above the noise.

6.It was a nice idea putting the fridge in the room. I suggest it should stand
on a piece of insulation as it hummed loudly constantly on the wooden floor. It would have been nice if it had been stocked with some water and juice ready cooled to refresh a hot tired customer. A couple of drinking glasses in the room were needed but we had to manage with a toothbrush mug between us.

We stayed at other places in Toronto that got things just right so probably wouldnt go back to this place again.

We are very regular travellers all over the world and experienced everything from 5* to hostel and hope these comments are useful and constructive

• Stayed July 2005
64 Thank sebillba
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 4, 2005

Very special place to stay. All the rooms are different and it is so relaxing and calm. Would highly recommend to friends. Friendly staff and very clean place.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member