“Make the time to visit this area”
Review of The Local Gest

The Local Gest
Ranked #172 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Mexican, International, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: The Local Gest brings Farm to Table eating to the heart of Cabbagetown, on Parliament. Enjoy fresh local produce - growing vegetables and herbs at a plot on Fresh City Farms, using mostly certified organic seeds, is just one of the ways that real food arrives on your plate. Choose from an array of classic dishes for lunch and dinner - burger, po' boy, steak frites, fajitas and schnitzel, to name just a few. And weekend brunch offers both egg and savory options. Nightly entertainment includes Trivia Night on Wednesday, live music on Thursdays, and Sunday Jazz.
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This pub restaurant has a wide range of options to cover most tastes, very fresh and good sized portions. Great welcoming service and good "banter" Its worth taking the time to stroll the few blocks from Yonge to check this place out. It supports artists and its wall space is decorated with paintings for sale which is a nice touch and fits with the overall friendliness of the bar.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I was there Saturday June 28 to watch the Brazil/Chile soccer game.
Sat on the patio. Tiffany the manager gave me an ice bucket
to keep my beer chilled. Had the Egg's Benedict with potatoe pancakes. So good.
I will recommend this pub to anyone from Toronto or just visiting. The owners and staff
are fantastic. Bryan from Toronto

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I went to this restaurant a few times because it's one of my favorite places in Canada. They have different options for eat like hamburgers ( i love it), sandwich, seafood, salads, soups, steaks, wings (wednesday), and specials every day.

I don't like to drink alcohol but they have a large variety of beverages and beers. It's like a restaurant - bar

The atmosphere is friendly, what I like most is to sit on the patio, of course as long as the weather is nice.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I used to live in cabbagetown and it had been a while since I was back in the old hood. I was sad to see that the Ben Wick's was no longer, it has become The Local Gest. What a change from the Wick's - the new owners have given the space a GREAT makeover, inside and out!
I had only intended to stop by for a drink but was drawn to the beef carpaccio on the menu.
A generous portion, classically presented with the awesome addition of fried capers!! I was blown away and have been craving it ever since!
The staff and owners were very welcoming. I started with a pint of the local gest lager and moved to a glass of big juicy red wine which made the carpaccio taste even better!!
I'll be going back the next time I'm in the hood, going to try and head down on a Sunday for their live jazz or on another of their music nights. I'm following them on Facebook and get all the latest!! If you're in cabbagetown be sure to check out this great new restaurant.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

The old Ben Wicks Pub is no more. Rising from those venerable ashes is The Local Gest, the newest player on the Cabbage Town culinary scene. The physical space is a challenge being a lower unit. The new owners of The Local Gest have given this space a remarkable facelift. Nothing that would set the design world on its ear, but clever changes to lighting, paint and accoutrement giving The Local Gest the perfect vibe for a great neighbourhood destination.
I have been for drinks, drinks + appetizers and now twice for dinner. They have a wonderful selection of beers, but lets get right to the point. They know how to mix a GREAT martini. It is my benchmark for a bar or restaurant. If they can't do the simple stuff well you are doomed. Not the case at The Local Gest! A vodka martini, cold & dry....gently shaken....with a twist of orange is perfection. The Food. A new menu that features some pub fair also offers some interesting dishes. The other evening we tried the Seafood Risotto. Served on parchment paper on a slab of hardwood....definitely got our attention. It was perfection. Generous chunks of perfectly cooked seafood...a delicious prawn in almost every bite. We ate 'down-to-the-wood'! I have also had their steak. At 6oz, an excellent size for a steak, any larger and it is just too much meat for one sitting because it comes with a lovely double stuffed baked potato! We had white fish fritters up front....that were delicious and different offering from the usual. I look forward to working my way through this varied menu. Chef at The Local Gest is skilled and does not overwork his food. Presentation is fun and not pretentious. The wine list has some nice additions and is priced well. Owner is present and on site and it shows. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly and fun. The Local Gest is my new local.