“Lots to see.”

Ripley's Aquarium of Canada in Toronto
Ranked #1 of 536 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Explore the Waters of the World at Ripley's Aquarium of Canada. Located in the heart of downtown Toronto at the base of the CN Tower, the aquarium is Toronto's newest must-see attraction for tourists and locals of all ages.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had to wait in line but it was relatively quick so not too bad. Yes it was crowded but only to be expected on a Saturday afternoon. Exhibits are excellent, particularly the Dangerous Lagoon. The moving walkway is a great idea as everyone gets to see everything clearly. Can highly recommend but wouldn't suggest it was good to take toddlers or small children who don't have the interest and only want to run around. Well worth the entrance fee when you consider the upkeep of the place and occupants. Don't miss the octopus.....he has to be seen.

1  Thank Chinchlla1
Write a ReviewReviews (15,432)
All reviews
in 186 reviews
"take your time"
in 177 reviews

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Today we played hooky so that we could take my 87 year old great aunt to the aquarium, and was really hoping for the best after reading and hearing some of the stories. Today was truly one of the best days my family has spent with my Aunt.... My kids 9 & 7 ran around and were so excited, and my Aunt took her time taking it all in. The aquarium was not that busy but wish that the restaurant was bigger and offered more choices... It is truly a must see attraction in Toronto...

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We recently visited the aquarium on Sat. Jan. 4th. I was quite leery about going given the numerous negative comments regarding the wait times and crowds. However, I had read an interview in which a staff person suggested visitors arrive after 5 pm for a better experience.

We booked our tickets online but since the 5 pm and 6 pm entrance times were already sold out, we decided to buy for the 7 pm time slot. The attraction closed at 9 pm and we crossed our fingers that the two hours would be enough time for us. In addition, the aquarium sells tickets for the 8 pm time slot so we assumed they wouldn't kick everyone out at 9 pm on the dot since some people would have only been there for an hour.

That was the best decision! We left the aquarium at 9:50 pm and you can see from my photos that the Dangerous Lagoon 'hallway' was completely empty. I loved that gallery but I can see why visitors would be really frustrated if it was crowded - it would be so hard to enjoy the slow moving people mover which takes you through it. In fact, the whole aquarium wouldn't be much fun with big crowds as you really need to be right at the glass of the exhibits to fully appreciate some of them.

In addition, at that later hour one could stand right at the glass of the jelly fish exhibit and take all the pictures you wanted without people breathing down your neck.

We took just over an hour to go through the aquarium the first time as we didn't know how much there was to see. Since we had lots of time left, we returned to our favourite parts and it was much less crowded. I headed back to my favourite exhibit which were the leafy sea dragons. They were entrancing! I could have watched these little guys all day. I never thought I'd get to see one without travelling to somewhere like California!

I also really liked the music which plays in the background - it is a loop which does get a bit monotonous, but overall, I thought it had the sound of a whimsical movie score which blended well with some of the magical exhibits.

There were some exhibits which I found difficult to see such as one eel exhibit where the tank seemed awfully small given the number of eels. There were a few like that where I thought the creatures didn't have much room to move but there were no comments posted as to whether those particular animals don't actually move much.

We used the coat check (which for us was $2/coat) and I would recommend this as I heard other people (who hadn't check their coats) complain about the warmth of the building. We didn't eat there so I can't comment on the quality of food.

Going toward the end of the day makes it a perfect date night! I'd definitely go again in evening.

3  Thank alispiritato
Reviewed January 7, 2014

it's an ok aquarium, get your tickets online, it's easier. pretty pricey though. They need to control crowds better, there are places where it is so crowded that you cannot pass. not for people whom are claustrophobic. very cool underwater passage where creatures are swimming all around you.
They get you at the end though where you have to exit through a boutique while trying to pry your kids from touching everything...if you've been to another aquarium, most chances you've seen all this before. parking is a pain in the....

1  Thank eric_l99
See more reviews
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I visited the aquarium with my family including two kids (6 & 2), the kids loved the place! It has a good collection of fishes and sea creatures, that's the good part.

The bad thing was that the place was extremely crowdy, in theory the aquarium sells tickets to visit on specific hours, but they were accepting any hour, so the lane to enter the aquarium was more than 200 meters long with a waiting time of 1+ hours on a freezing day (-15 C), so not nice at all. After that, when we finally made it inside the aquarium, it was so busy that it was impossible to walk, I even think it was not safe.

The aquarium personnel was kind of rude, we asked for the washrooms and they replied in a non nice way and the same happened with the cafeteria staff.

The price is not cheap, so I think the Aquarium should take some measures to correct this kind of problems, is unacceptable to pay that amount of money and don't get the quality you expect.

Not sure if I will return soon, I don't want to pay so much to be packed, I felt like in the TTC!

2  Thank Edu B