“Not so easy to book”

Isabella Hotel and Suites
Ranked #111 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Easy to book.com did not send my reservation to the hotel. Had to wait for them to fax it. Elevator barely fits one person. Unpleasant smell in the hallways. Could sit on the toilet and wash my hands at the same time. Not sure if that's suppose to be a bonus. Only small people could fit in that bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Jennifer B

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I've booked it using the Hotwire services, and in its profile they said it was a Boutique Hotel. But it's not ! It's a old building they painted, that's all.

But it's clean and close to the metro (but in the edge of Toronto's downtown). I did not fell safe on the street at night.

Simple breakfast, but fresh,

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank danielvosilva
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I loved this property.

Had originally booked because my chains of preference were sold out or too high in price for the Saturday I was staying and I will come back to this hotel whether the others have availability or not.

I was travelling solo on a half-pleasure, half-business basis and have no complaints.
My room was adorable and had a great layout. It had more than enough floor and desk space. The windows were nice and large. The beds were comfortable (I slept like a baby). The free wifi worked just great. The staff were super friendly and built great rapport with me. There's a restaurant with a beautiful patio attached I really want to try next time.

Thanks for the great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, the view is nice!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank CaseyInRealLife
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was at my 2 day vacation in Toronto downtown and chose to book Isabella hotel as it is close to subway and other attractions.

The overall service was nice for the price I booked for but my wife got a skin allergy on her right arm which can be due to unclean sheets or bed-bug.The staff at front-desk was really helpful and showed me the directions for the nearby places to visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Steve C
Reviewed July 22, 2013

It was the worst decision to stay in this hotel!
It was said in the website there is parking for 15 bucks, but it turned out the parking lot is full and i have to spend 18 bucks for 24 hours in an underground, dirty and smelly parking lot a block away.

the room is so small (about 10 square feet), worse than a motel: there is only a double bed, only leaving you a narrow passage to access to bed. That's all. Not even a chair for you to sit on.

Don't tricked by the free breakfast. I stayed in hostels and their breakfast is better. it's only milk and cereals, toasts which you need to toast them yourself. people were eating in the small area in the lobby, not enough tables. Many were sitting on the couches.

The hair dryer is broken (no one knows for how long). I called the reception and was told they don't have any spare one. I had to go out with wet hair.

Definitely not worth the money. I would have stayed in a motel with half of the price I payed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank traveler101155019
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I know from previous reviews that some travelers had issues while the hotel was being renovated. Well, it's done now and the hotel provides some basic services at a very reasonable price. Two blocks from the subway and the bus stop is right in front of the hotel. Nothing fancy but clean and quiet. Front desk was very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to any traveler who does't mind being a little away from the center of Toronto and is willing to use public transportation to get around.

Room Tip: If you want a little more room ask for the deluxe room or suite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KerryKelly
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I gave this hotel a 5 star tripadvisor rating based on comfort, cleanliness, location, and particularly value for money.
Note that the pictures on the website (as of last week) are outdated and the rooms now have new beds with crisp white linen and duvets, and each double bed comes with 4 big pillows! I found the lobby stylish and comfortable, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they now have wifi throughout the hotel. I read some negative comments about the air conditioning, however the a/c in our room worked well and we had a comfortable night’s sleep.
Breakfast was another nice surprise. There was plenty of fresh coffee, juice, bread and bagels, assorted cereal, and fruit.
I really liked the location because while you could walk downtown if you wanted to, it was nice to return to an area that felt like a neighbourhood and had some green space. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from Yonge and Dundas, and less than a 10 minute walk from Yonge and Bloor.
The rooms are very small and if you are travelling with a lot of luggage, this may not be the hotel for you, but if you are on a budget and don’t want to compromise location, comfort, and cleanliness, this is the place! I highly recommend this hotel, and will return.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends