“Perfect Place to Break the Chain Hotel Habit!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Isabella Hotel and Suites

Isabella Hotel and Suites
Ranked #108 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Kingston
“Perfect Place to Break the Chain Hotel Habit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I loved this property.

Had originally booked because my chains of preference were sold out or too high in price for the Saturday I was staying and I will come back to this hotel whether the others have availability or not.

I was travelling solo on a half-pleasure, half-business basis and have no complaints.
My room was adorable and had a great layout. It had more than enough floor and desk space. The windows were nice and large. The beds were comfortable (I slept like a baby). The free wifi worked just great. The staff were super friendly and built great rapport with me. There's a restaurant with a beautiful patio attached I really want to try next time.

Thanks for the great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, the view is nice!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank CaseyInRealLife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was at my 2 day vacation in Toronto downtown and chose to book Isabella hotel as it is close to subway and other attractions.

The overall service was nice for the price I booked for but my wife got a skin allergy on her right arm which can be due to unclean sheets or bed-bug.The staff at front-desk was really helpful and showed me the directions for the nearby places to visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Steve C
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

It was the worst decision to stay in this hotel!
It was said in the website there is parking for 15 bucks, but it turned out the parking lot is full and i have to spend 18 bucks for 24 hours in an underground, dirty and smelly parking lot a block away.

the room is so small (about 10 square feet), worse than a motel: there is only a double bed, only leaving you a narrow passage to access to bed. That's all. Not even a chair for you to sit on.

Don't tricked by the free breakfast. I stayed in hostels and their breakfast is better. it's only milk and cereals, toasts which you need to toast them yourself. people were eating in the small area in the lobby, not enough tables. Many were sitting on the couches.

The hair dryer is broken (no one knows for how long). I called the reception and was told they don't have any spare one. I had to go out with wet hair.

Definitely not worth the money. I would have stayed in a motel with half of the price I payed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank traveler101155019

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I know from previous reviews that some travelers had issues while the hotel was being renovated. Well, it's done now and the hotel provides some basic services at a very reasonable price. Two blocks from the subway and the bus stop is right in front of the hotel. Nothing fancy but clean and quiet. Front desk was very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to any traveler who does't mind being a little away from the center of Toronto and is willing to use public transportation to get around.

Room Tip: If you want a little more room ask for the deluxe room or suite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KerryKelly
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I gave this hotel a 5 star tripadvisor rating based on comfort, cleanliness, location, and particularly value for money.
Note that the pictures on the website (as of last week) are outdated and the rooms now have new beds with crisp white linen and duvets, and each double bed comes with 4 big pillows! I found the lobby stylish and comfortable, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they now have wifi throughout the hotel. I read some negative comments about the air conditioning, however the a/c in our room worked well and we had a comfortable night’s sleep.
Breakfast was another nice surprise. There was plenty of fresh coffee, juice, bread and bagels, assorted cereal, and fruit.
I really liked the location because while you could walk downtown if you wanted to, it was nice to return to an area that felt like a neighbourhood and had some green space. The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from Yonge and Dundas, and less than a 10 minute walk from Yonge and Bloor.
The rooms are very small and if you are travelling with a lot of luggage, this may not be the hotel for you, but if you are on a budget and don’t want to compromise location, comfort, and cleanliness, this is the place! I highly recommend this hotel, and will return.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank velika
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I recently booked a hotel using Hotwire for May 31st in Toronto, ON and can't believe I paid money to stay here. I had one of the worst experiences I've ever had in a hotel (and I have travelled quite a bit). When I first checked in I was arriving earlier than check in time so I asked to leave my bags there to start my day as I only had one night in Toronto. The front desk promised me she could have a room ready in 15 minutes if I just wanted to wait, so I did. Another 45 minutes later I told her to forget it and that I would come back later and she told me to just wait another 5 minutes. 15 minutes after that I got my room, so it was a bad start. The room itself was very small just enough to walk around the bed, and as they are completing renovations everything was all over the place. The smell in the room was also awful, nearly like smoke. The worst part of all of it was that the air conditioning didn't work in the room. I turned it down before I rushed out of the room but when I came back later at night it was a stifling 28 degrees celsius and it wouldn't change all night, and the window couldn't open. The hotel itself wasn't in the best area so as I young woman travelling alone I was too scared to even call anyone up to fix it, it was too late at night. The only good things were that the Sherbourne subway station was very close by, and that they had basic continental breakfast included. Overall it was a horrible experience and I don't feel like sites like Hotwire should be selling rooms for this kind of hotel, especially at the star rating it was at. I feel very disappointed and sorry to be reporting this.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jas F
Moosomin, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Booked through Hotwire for about $80/night taxes/fees included. I believe their prepaid or discount rooms are the smallest they have to offer, so Hotwire or Priceline might not be the best booking option for 2 or more guests. Book directly through the Isabella's own website as you will be able to choose or switch your room more effectively on arrival (as a specialty hotel in an old building, every room seems to be a different size, unlike most chain hotels you might be used to). Our room was clean and newly outfitted, but it reminded me of an oversized broom closet. There was even a bit of a "are you kidding me?" moment at first, but after you get used to it, it's not that bad. The two of us still had a good sleep on the Standard Double Bed (mattress was firm but comfortable, not sure if the A/C worked, but no matter, the window opened for a cool breeze). Would have been great to have had the option for a bigger room and we would have gladly anted-up a few more bucks for the night but I guess they were fully booked.
On another note, (and this is not so much a criticism but more a suggestion meant to be helpful), they really need to rethink who they hire to design their bathrooms--The angle shower has a door which opens directly into the spray of the shower, allowing water to flow out onto the bathroom floor--Not smart, as over time this stray water will do damage to the new tiles and fixtures. And what's with the huge empty space on the far side of the bathroom? You could easily fit a toilet in this space with lots of extra leg room, and then extend the small angle shower unit over top of where the old toilet used to be so it would be at least twice it's original size, more comfortable for the guests, and be less prone to unwanted leaks!--Take my advice and relocate the toilet to the big empty space to make a bigger stand-up shower! This said, it was basically a new bathroom with good water pressure and new sinks/taps etc.
Compared to paying $150-250/night further downtown, this hotel was a good deal. Don't count on parking at the hotel unless you have reserved a spot in advance. We made a parking request by e-mail, (I guess not early enough?) and they didn't have a spot for us. Call the hotel directly and ask them to write down your parking request, as it must book up quickly; Keep in mind that there are plenty of $12-20 day lots within a short walk from the hotel. The Isabella is a 3-5 minute walk to the TTC Subway at Sherbourne Station, and if you don't mind the bus, the 75 Sherbourne picks you up right outside the front door to take you down to Front St. Get a day pass and take the TTC--It's the best way to get around downtown as parking is expensive and a nightmare unless you know somebody with a free spot--And good luck with that.
The Isabella offers tasty (and free) morning coffee in the lobby. Overall, it was a clean, quiet, good value small hotel experience. Friendly and patient young lady was very helpful at the front desk as well!

Room Tip: Book directly through hotel website, make sure you have the option for a larger room if more than 1...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple