“the desk people were wonderful, the motel was very bad”

Isabella Hotel and Suites
Ranked #110 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The service at the front desk was expectedly good, they can be very proud of themselves but the room we had did not have any heat and we froze all night, I called down to the front desk and the man that was on tried to fix it but he could not. He offered a heater but there was already one in the room so the heater must have been broken before we arrived. We booked two nights and we could not get our money back for the second night but I was not going to stay even if I lost my money. We had a suite and it was small so I cannot image what the regular rooms were like in size, I would never stay there again even if they gave the room for free.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Edith L
There are newer reviews for Isabella Hotel and Suites

Reviewed December 7, 2012

the rooms are realy small with verry little room to move and the bathroom there is now space to move at all and you can barly sit down on the toilet.
i will not stay there again and for the amout the room costed me i was not impressed it was a rip off and i will never stay there again. dont go to this hotel

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank alexlougheed
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed there use for one night. Do not expect anything "fabulous". The hotel room was small, but clean and it has served its purpose.
The breakfast was poor, the food was not good at all and it was actually served in the hallway. I didn't have any troubles with my european card for the final payment.
The location is good, close to the city centre.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I went back to the Isabella Hotel and Suites again this year after reading reviews that were vastly different from our experience last year. I wanted toe able to write a positive review. Sadly, I am not able to do that. There is a problem on entry, really no place to stop and unload your vehicle, on arriving at the front desk, a problem with their card machine, on getting the room assignment, no parking was available and the nearest was 2 blocks away even though we had reserved parking at the time we booked, the room assigned was NOT a queen suite...it was a small room with a double bed. and the room finally assigned had a queen bed, no desk and only a desk chair for lounging.. Pleasantly after this we were comped 1/2 a night's stay, but this never should haave been necessary. This is a small boutique hotel; it needs to be treated as such and administered as such. If that happens things will be a fine match between guest and hotel. BTW cleanliness was NOT a problem,

Room Tip: Ddon't assume "suite" means "large" or "multi-room"
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel was Brually awful. Requires some major upgrades and a good cleaning. The elevator is a coffin style, and makes interesting noises (and the dial that tells you what floor you are on is sideways... that gives you a good feeling when you get in). We walked into the room and immediately saw we had no where to put our luggage - not a big deal as we have done this before in hotels, but a bit annoying. The room is smaller than a spare bedroom size, and the pillow is almost so thin you can see through it.

There was dirt and grime in all the corners of the room, the bathroom shower had a big crack in the glass, and the toilet seat looked a bit melted. When we lifted the coffee pot to make more room, we ended up dusting our own hotel! Seriously.

Our friends room had major issues because the heat and air conditioning did whatever the hell they wanted. On our second of (supposed to be) 4 nights, our friends came back to a room that was over 35 celceius. They asked to be moved, and were put into the room directly below that current one. When they went in there was a giant stain on the carpet that looked suspiciously like blood - and leftover food and drinks in the fridge (a half empty bottle of pop and other stuff).

Definitely no intentions of ever recommending this to anyone, or ever going again. We checked out early and stayed in a hotel that was WAY out of the way for us (North York) and were happier for it. If you haven't booked yet, stay away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank blackrose_222
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I picked this hotel because it is located a block away from our daughter's apt. We also got a super deal for four nights from Groupon. Then we read bad reviews and nearly cancelled. To our delightful surprise we found a clean hotel with friendly staff. While not very large, our room was very clean and comfortable for the two of us. The bathroom had shower and bath and was very clean and functional.. The free Continental breakfast was all I expected. Best of all the hotel was very quiet. We'll be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed at this hotel for my birthday, and it was a bit hard to not be disappointed. The hotel is not ideally located; no major landmarks are within walking distance, and the only things really close by were a No Frils and Shoppers Drug Mart. The Standard Room, while clean, was UNBEARABLY small, with barely enough room to maneuver around in. The bathroom was also tiny, with the sink essentially resting on your lap when sitting on the toilet, The bed was a small double that was only just large enough for the both of us, and resulted in us getting very little sleep. To top it off, the air conditioning in the room didn't work, resulting in the room hitting 28 degrees during the night. The included complementary breakfast was nothing special, but enough to help start off the day, If you are looking for a cheap, no-frils place to stay for a single night in North-Central Toronto, the Isabella Hotel will suit your needs. However, for more than one night (and more than one person), you may want to shell out a bit extra and look someplace else.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple