“Loved it!”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #11 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My booking experience via email with Jonathan set the tone for our whole stay - friendly, warm and welcoming.

My 6 year son and I stayed here recently for 2 nights. Upon arrival we were met with a huge smile from Zoe who looked after us with grace and style! Our Crash Pad was small but perfectly formed - every need catered for. We ate in the Cafe and had room service during our stay - both of which were fantastic food. As I was with my son I didn't get to hang out too much in the evening at the music events but definitely would have done if I could have.

Jonathan is a dream - his attention to detail is exemplary and all done with a genuinely friendly charm.

Did I mention the pillows?? Sublime! Shopping in Queen Street is fabulous, unique little artsy shops - I spent too much money!

Thank you to everyone at the Drake for making our short trip to Toronto very sweet indeed!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mjbig

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Drake for eight days in one of their wondferfully designed "crash pads." We loved the hotel even though I must admit we are a little older than the crowd that frequents their bar and lounge at night. Despite the active evening scene at the Drake, our room was quiet and out of the way.

What really stands out is the friendly staff. Super helpful with directions, advice, whatever you need. They have these wonderful bikes imported from Holland that we used several times to take in the city.

Finally, mega charm is the phrase I used to describe this place. One of a kind!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

After reading the positive reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided to give this place a try while in town for some friends' wedding. Our check in experience was rather puzzling - we put in a request months before our visit for an early check in (as we were arriving from the west coast on a red eye at 7am), and received the standard response that nothing can be guaranteed but we'll try our best etc etc. All fine there. When we arrived, the super friendly receptionist told us with a broad smile that sorry, all booked up, you can check in at 2pm. All of this is fair, of course, but we were completely wiped and she seemed somewhat puzzled that we would rather crash on a couch in the lobby instead of checking out one of their energy-radiating cafes super early in the morning. So, we settled on a couch with bloodshot eyes and determination and began the waiting game for our room. Somewhat curiously, about 10 minutes later, the receptionist came back and said oh guess what, turns out your room IS ready, guess we can take up there now! That was welcome news, and we were hugely appreciative, but from a hotel management perspective, why was this information not available when we first arrived? And/or why not say to us, hey, let me see what I can do, why not have a seat while I check things out? That right there was one circle off the ol' TripAdvisor review.

As for the room and the hotel experience, it felt like it was carefully, preciously designed by a Williamsburg exile, with perhaps a few too many knowing winks to the über-now hipster culture. Of COURSE that's what it says on the tin, but it felt a little too over the top. The service at both restaurants we ate at was blase at best, negligent at worst, as if our waitstaff had better pursuits than taking our order and/or bringing requested refills for water/coffee/mimosas. I appreciate the place is always pulsating with crowds, and it must be said that when arriving back late at night to throngs of non-residents crowding the entrance, the hotel staff were always impeccably welcoming to returning guests, but a few kinks in the visitor experience remain to be worked out. As for the rooms, they're small but nicely appointed - no issues there. The best advice we can give The Drake is to check out how things are done at The Hoxton Hotel in London - it boasts a similar hipster vibe, but comes off as more comfortable in its skin, effortlessly offering a super-cool hipster aesthetic with an abundance of quirky extras, while managing to feel classy and never try-hard. Hopefully The Drake will get into its groove with more experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank synaptoneurosome
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Wow! This hotel has been masterfully restored with a modern fusion of art, decor, and vibe. The quality of the service was impeccable (thanks John, Blair, and Jonathon!), and checking in/out was easy-peazy. After a long day trekking through Chinatown, we came back to our room to a bucket of champagne splits, all iced up and ready to go. You cannot know how refreshing that was along a shower using peppermint scented shampoo!

Every interaction with the hotel, it's staff, it's services, and it's fare was wonderful. They exceeded our expectations at every touch. Only suggestion? Improve the quality of your paper products which we considered inferior to the rest of your operation. Thanks for an amazing stay--we'll be back!

Room Tip: Stay in rooms 308-311 to minimize noise for light sleepers.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I love EVERYTHING about The Drake Hotel! Everyone that works here is so friendly and accommodating. My check-in experience was great, the room was perfectly clean and well laid out.

My group has not stopped talking about how much we love it here and how we wish we could extend our stays. It has truly been a great experience and we hope to come back next year for our next event!

Thanks to the below associates at your hotel, our stay was fantastic :) :
Jonathan, Jon, Dave, Tyler & Daniel - thank you all for making it such a nice stay here!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Whenever I am making an overnight trip into the city, the Drake is my first pick for hotel. The crash pad is exactly what I want in a room...cozy, clean, compact, cute..great use of space & well thought out.
Love the complimentary popcorn & night-time cookies and the surprise bottles of bubbles were especially well received :)
Staff are always fantastic and pleasant. Decor is funky yet homey.
Heck, this is one great place to stay and well worth the fight in traffic to get to!
X[OH!]

Room Tip: Any room will be a 'thumb's up"!
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I absolutely loved every aspect of my stay at the Drake. It was an incredibly wonderful surprise when we arrived. And after 32 hours of barely leaving the premises I was feeling so at home I didn't want to leave. I kept trying to go elsewhere to eat, or be entertained but I kept asking myself why should I go elsewhere when everything here is so fabulous? So I gave in to the need to sleep with other establishments and committed to a marriage with the Drake. In our crash pad I especially loved the efficient use of space. It was small and yet so incredibly spacious in that European kind of way. I was so delighted that the staff picked up on my 'its our wedding anniversary' when I made the booking. There was a card and champagne for us in our rooms. How classy! The staff look very invested in their jobs and the whole world of this place. And needless to say the menu of sex toys was rather refreshing. A hotel that acknowledges appetites for whatever you want. How fun. Anyhow, an all round pleasure from the staff, the rooms, the decor to the clientele the place attracts. And great location to boot. I can't wait for my next visit. Why would I stay anywhere else? A class act.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple