“Great Restaurant”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #11 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were here for dinner New Year's Day 2013 and were very impressed with the funky, fusion menu and the great ambience. The sushi salad was amazing and my friends loved the house burger. Good food and service in a funky, artsy hotel setting. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Didn't stay at the hotel - just ate at the restaurant - just remember this hotel is a bit west o...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BruceCalgary

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I just got back from a friend's wedding in Toronto. The event took place at the Drake and my partner and I stayed at the hotel for the weekend. I have stayed at all the Fairmont's, Hyatt's, etc. Those places don't come close to the warmth, charm and funky vibe we experienced at the Drake. The staff are AMAZING. We felt so taken care of in every way. The room we stayed in was so well designed and clean, mean and green! I am a germaphobe and hotels usually gross me out. This place is so well maintained I could just relax and enjoy my time in the room. There is contemporary art work everywhere you look in the lounge, restaurants and hallways. I will recommend the Drake to every single person I know who is travelling to Toronto. And I will most definitely make it my destination the next time I visit the Big Smoke...

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor which was a tad noisy, but not ridiculous. Will book the 3rd floor next t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lynda B
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were celebrating a birthday and a retirement and wanted someplace special to stay in Toronto. On a previous Toronto visit, a great lunch on the patio of the Drake had sparked our interest in this very unique and cleverly appointed hotel. We knew the Drake was a charming blend of 1920’s setting and current hip, including some great art, so we had high expectations for our stay. What we didn’t know until our time there was how attractive and functional the rooms were, and how totally attentive the entire staff is to their guests. We could not have been treated better, and we loved every minute of it. Over many years of travel, I’ve never been moved to write a hotel review, but the Drake experience: ambience, room, food and staff deserve passionate enthusiasm.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan P
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was our first trip to Toronto and I am really glad we chose Drake Hotel. Honestly, it was almost too good because we didn’t want to go anywhere else... we ate at the cafe twice in our 2 ½ day stay, plus we spent quite a bit of time at their General Store. All of the employees were incredibly helpful and polite and really made us feel welcome - almost as if we were staying with friends. We were in one of the Den rooms and it was a perfect size. I was even able to do some yoga. You do need to be comfortable with your roommate as the toilet and shower are not the most private, but the room was very well appointed. Also, as a gym addict, I enjoyed that they provide you with a pass to the gym around the corner so you have access to a full gym rather than a small hotel gym. And the location is fantastic! We love shopping local, no matter where we are, and we were able to just walk down the street and hit a lot of local boutiques. This will definitely be our go to hotel on any future trips to Toronto!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Melisa A
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I had made plans to see July Talk at the Drake on Boxing Day as part of the week-long music festival (5 bands, 5 nights, 5 bucks - an insanely good deal any night but especially on the nights when bands like July Talk played).

I decided that as a Christmas gift to my husband I'd make a night out of it for us (we have a 3 year toddler) and booked us a room, dinner and drinks, the shows and breakfast the next morning. My husband was pleasantly surprised, as was I, and our experience at the Drake follows.

Check-in
I booked our stay directly through the hotel's manager Jonathan and he was at the desk when I arrived to check-in. When I introduced myself and mentioned our email exchanges he greeted me warmly, and came around the desk to give me a hug that not only made me feel very welcome and at ease, but convinced me that our stay was going to be an impressive one. Jonathan and his staff did not disappoint.

The Hotel
The room we stayed in was certainly on the small size but what the rooms lack in size, they make up for with an extremely efficient use of space and charming character that's rightly earned the Drake hotel a spot on the World's Coolest Hotel List. My personal favorites were the handsewn doll, the exposed brick wall, the preloaded iPod, the plate of cookies with the turn down service, the hoodie bathrobes and the accompanying cans of soda in stamped brown paper bags paired with the appropriate liquor bottles (ie gin and tonic, rum and coke, rye and ginger). It's the little touches like these that make you understand how well thought out the Drake is, and how elegantly executed. The room's efficiency is nothing short of genius and with the bathroom being an extension of the room rather than a seperate space, frosted glass on the walls of the toilet affords you enough privacy. Although the shower is clear glass and visible from the rest of the room, you can get the privacy you may require by sliding the door to the toilet all the way open so it obscures the shower. The luggage shelves installed high up along one length of the room is practical, convenient and very smart but the Drake also offers luggage storage for those requiring it. Also worth noting is how well the Drake has done in separating the rooms from the rest of the building - there was very little noise to be heard in our room and despite being on Queen West, we slept fairly soundly until the street began to come alive around 9am the next morning.

The Restaurant
I'd consider my husband and I very good judges of restaurant quality food, having eaten at some very highly rated restaurants in NYC and Las Vegas and the Drake restaurant did not disappoint. We shared a number of sushi dishes and were surprisingly pleased with not only the quality and freshness of the food presented to us, but also impressed by the innovative use of ingredients that made the dishes unique to the Drake. Our meal included the Scorcher (salmon sashimi), spicy tuna maki, red rice maki, and the BBQ pork belly nigiri. It was hard to not order more and, in fact, we sacrificed dessert for a second order of the red rice maki (made with sweet potato and full of flavour).

The Underground
The staff in the club downstairs was expecting us, and knowing that we were guests of the hotel, welcomed us to "our basement". His description was fairly accurate as it didn't take long to feel like we were hanging out in a friends basement, if not ours, with the exception of the fully stocked bar making it very easy to order any cocktail, and the incredible talent that performs in their venue on a regular basis. We were there for July Talk, who were insanely good and singer/guitarist Peter Dreimanis hung out in the bar early in the evening and graciously accepted our offer to buy him a drink.

The Cafe/Breakfast
I'd read on TripAdvisor that some people considered the Cafe to be rather grungy - I think they've probably missed the point that Drake is trying to make. Authentic and charming, the Cafe was playing the Judy Garland Show in black and white on a television in the corner (followed by Miracle on 34th) and the staff were not only smartly dressed but warm, friendly and professional. We had access to the brunch menu and ordered eggs Benedict and waffles and chicken (both well thought out dishes and successful in their execution) and despite being more than full, I couldn't help but eye the blueberry scones and clotted cream at a neighbouring table. I envy the people that live and work in the vicinity of the Drake and can pop into the Cafe for their regular morning coffee or a burger and fries after work (that will be the next menu item I try).

Overall
My husband, who can be hard to impress, summed up our experience very accurately when he said that if he owned or was running a place like the Drake he wouldn't do a single thing differently. World-class first stay and won't be our last. Many thanks to Jonathan and the rest of the staff for their excellent, professional but genuinely warm hospitality. Spot on and well done, Drake.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank TawnyBarratt
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The amazing energy of the Drake's decor, art, food, and entertainment is only surpassed by that of the staff. The whole crew is fantastic, but I want to extend special thanks to Jonathan and Pam. Thank you, thank you, thank you! .

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HelenaRocca
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Our two night stay surrounding a company holiday party (held in the Drake's Corner Cafe) was bigger, better and shinier than we could have imagined. The warm welcome from Jonathan (hotel manager) and his army of minions who helped us bring all our party supplies and luggage upstairs was fantastic. The little extras in the room like bubbly and cookies and kettle corn assured us that Drake loves us. Comfortable bed, well designed space: our room two oh two was uber-cool.

Now on to our company party: 20 of us in the Corner Cafe for a 1920s themed murder mystery. It was awesome in too many ways. Our event coordinator, Ashley, had everything in line to make it a fun and stress-free night. Our event staff were just rockin' awesome: Mike, Meghan and Sophie put the FUN back in FUNERAL, and our guests enjoyed dying and murdering each other all night long. The food was delicious and the drinks were drinklicious. They didn't even ask us to leave at 10:00pm! Nope, the fun kept going right until closing time and we will most definitely be back next year for our party (and sooner for a fun night or two with Drake).

Thanks again everyone - you definitely all get a 463/10!

Room Tip: Room two oh two is the XL suite and is super awesome if you could use a bit more space.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business