“Welcomed and Respected” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Grand Cayman
“Welcomed and Respected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Wonderful stay. I saw the hotel on Expedia and and read the reviews. The rooms are very well appointed and very clean. The high ceilings make the room look even bigger. The bathroom is a open concept with frosted glass. I was in Toronto for my first visit. I am a Hotel and resort consultant so my expectations are set quite high. The casual and friendly approach suits this property. Jonathan made my reservation and was there to greet me when i arrived.
Please be aware there is a small paid lot for parking across the street. It is not reserved so best thing is if you get a spot use other transport to get around you may end up without parking when you return. They do have reserved spaces for $25 per night I found out later.

The next morning I was up to have breakfast. My friend was in the room getting ready so i went to the restaurant and was greeted first by Lucile one of the room attendants in the hall. She was very polite and asked how I was enjoying my stay. Nice to see staff interaction.
I travel a great deal for work and stay in may hotels. I was greeted by Krista before I sat for breakfast. She was polite and friendly.
I look forward to staying again someday very soon. I would like to see a loyalty program offered.

Thank you for a great stay! Much needed.
Cheers

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jay S
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Jay

Such very, very high praise, especially from a fellow Hotelier, and we thank you. I hope you received my email regarding your questions on loyalty. I am looking forward to your next visit, when, hopefully spend some time talking about our respective properties!

X[OH!]

Jonathan (“the taller one with the dark hair”)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Turkish first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I had to relocate from the comfort of our home due to renovations. We chose the Drake specifically for its proximity to my workplace. I'd been to the Drake hotel restaurants and bars but had never stayed there.
The room was super cozy, perhaps even the tiniest we have ever stayed in, but we didn't need extra room. The rest of the hotel was essentially an extension of our domain. The room was for sleep. and remarkably, with live bands/DJs/music playing on three different levels of the hotel every night, within a minute you could go from the bass-thumping dance floor to your room and hear absolutely nothing!
I must say it was the most pleasurable hotel stay I have had. And I shouldn't have to say it but I will...I have stayed at a lot of interesting hotels in many corners of the globe. Most have been wonderful stays. Impeccable customer service most times but it 'felt' like customer service. At the Drake, it's quite unique in that it feels that it's just a friend who is doing something for you. I had a gala dinner to go to, and no shoe polish. Pure panic. Frantic phone call to the front desk and the gang made it happen. It didn't feel like we were at a hotel really. Just felt like you were home at some really cool condo where they have in house bars and restaurants and friends.
'JJ', the manager, a consummate gentleman. Pam, Zoe, Craig, John and Melissa ( and important others) at the front desk. Everyone would go the extra mile, never for an instant making you feel like things might not go your way.
At the bars, you had Stan, Gord, Cameron and of course, Ashley. After a long day at work, it was nice to have good conversation and get some rather good cocktails.
David and Marcus at the door keeping the riffraff out in the evenings. Intimidating at first but gentle at heart.
Kudos to the whole Drake gang. They really have a good thing going. Keep it up! and thank you all for a memorable stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SAA1Toronto
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear SAA1 Toronto,

We all thank you for the review, for staying with us, and for being such an absolute pleasure to have spent three weeks with! We miss you and SS immensely, and look forward to seeing you at brunch soon.

To be honest, we all hope you have more renovations planned for the future, that we may – perhaps – get the opportunity to spend more time with you both.

X[OH!]

JJ, Drake + the entire team!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was booked into the King Eddie for a week - left after first night to come to the Drake - amazing attention to detail from the bed side snacks, to the bathroom cosmetics - super friendly reception - nice bars - there only problem is there is nothing they can do to improve things - a top 100 worldwide hotel

Room Tip: I booked the cheapest and it was amazing, really great
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TheGlade
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
TheGlade,

We all know what (or who) is in the details, so I am thrilled we scored high on your list – we just revamped all of our in room offerings, so I hope you get a chance to come and sample them soon!

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The problem that the Drake has is that it believes that being 'the hippest hotel in Toronto' actually means that it's a remotely hip hotel.

Of course it isn't, no more than being the best Rapper in Salt Lake City would get you anywhere in LA or Detroit.

But you see it has the attitude. It has the sneers. The quizzically raised eyebrows? The upward intonation that questions you at every turn.

Calling tiny rooms 'crash pads' is interesting - they're still tiny rooms though.
And your 'sex toy' menu is sweet rather than daring
The noise coming from the 'hot in Toronto' band downstairs is too close
The people in your rooftop bar just too obnoxious (in shooting a tampon ad and believing it's a movie)

Look it's not a bad hotel, but what it really needs to do is relax some. Stop trying so hard. Stop holding in your stomach and sucking in your cheekbones and become something that feels a little less forced.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear stevenjude

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am – of course – sorry we didn’t meet your expectations.

We take a great deal of pride not only in our service + offerings, but in our staff and, in particular, our valued guests. Obviously we were surprised by your experience.

Drake offers a wide range of opportunities to suit all of our guests, from our casual café to the upbeat atmosphere of our Lounge and Sky Yard, or the live indie shows in The Underground, we do our best to program experiences for all guests from all walks of life.

Again we appreciate your feedback, and hope to see you again soon!

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had a fabulous few days in one of the Crash Pads. Everything you could want from a hotel, friendly, relaxed, artistic, entertaining....Jonathan particularly made sure the stay was hassle free.
I will return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Peter M.

Insert blushing emoticon here: We are obviously thrilled you enjoyed your stay, and I think you know how much we enjoyed hosting you. I personally miss our morning banter, but look forward to your next visit and some jocular quips!

See you then!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I booked an overnight get away for my bday. We had an amazing time!
Our room was great. Not too small, and with everything we needed ... And such cool furnishings.
The best part was the staff. Everyone went out of their way to make sure we felt welcome. They sent up champagne for my bday, and upgraded our room to a larger suite at no extra cost and left cookies on our pillow. The managers were exceptionally attentive and friendly.
We had dinner in the restaurant - the sushi was exceptionally good, and the service was excellent.
Breakfast in the cafe was also lovely. The blueberry scones were heavenly!
We spent time walking around visiting local galleries and shops...great furniture and clothing shops abound.
All in all, I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
IngridGF

Again – Happy Birthday from all of us. We were so thrilled to host you for your very special day, and it was a pleasure to meet you.

I hope you and WD join us again soon – for yet another birthday?

Welcome to the Family!

Jonathan

PS – Jerry on our team says “Hello”
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

An extremely nice and (for business) unusual place to stay.
Although it is clearly a hipster hangout the staff are the opposite to what you might fear.
All extremely charming and helpful.
While the largest room, the "suite" in which I stayed, is not exactly huge it has everything you could want and is cosy and quirky, though still with a good bathroom.
Only one misstep: they failed to order a car which I requested at checkout for later that evening.
Problem was handled with charm and efficiency however.
Queen Street West has plenty of nice independent shops and restaurants, though the food in the hotel itself is also very good.

Room Tip: Go for the suite.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Londoner Chris

Thank you for taking the time to follow up with me recently regarding the issue with your town car and I am thrilled my team managed to rectify the oversight for you.

I am thrilled you enjoyed the Drake experience, our newly renovated bathrooms, and our Café’s early morning Espresso, OJ and house made granola!

I hope to welcome you again soon,