All reviews welcome home malin and goetz queen street quirky hotel no elevator rooftop patio night life rooms are small streetcar stop hotel guests main floor jonathan hipster lounge crashpad west nightlife
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The problem that the Drake has is that it believes that being 'the hippest hotel in Toronto' actually means that it's a remotely hip hotel.

Of course it isn't, no more than being the best Rapper in Salt Lake City would get you anywhere in LA or Detroit.

But you see it has the attitude. It has the sneers. The quizzically raised eyebrows? The upward intonation that questions you at every turn.

Calling tiny rooms 'crash pads' is interesting - they're still tiny rooms though.
And your 'sex toy' menu is sweet rather than daring
The noise coming from the 'hot in Toronto' band downstairs is too close
The people in your rooftop bar just too obnoxious (in shooting a tampon ad and believing it's a movie)

Look it's not a bad hotel, but what it really needs to do is relax some. Stop trying so hard. Stop holding in your stomach and sucking in your cheekbones and become something that feels a little less forced.

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear stevenjude

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am – of course – sorry we didn’t meet your expectations.

We take a great deal of pride not only in our service + offerings, but in our staff and, in particular, our valued guests. Obviously we were surprised by your experience.

Drake offers a wide range of opportunities to suit all of our guests, from our casual café to the upbeat atmosphere of our Lounge and Sky Yard, or the live indie shows in The Underground, we do our best to program experiences for all guests from all walks of life.

Again we appreciate your feedback, and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had a fabulous few days in one of the Crash Pads. Everything you could want from a hotel, friendly, relaxed, artistic, entertaining....Jonathan particularly made sure the stay was hassle free.
I will return.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Peter M.

Insert blushing emoticon here: We are obviously thrilled you enjoyed your stay, and I think you know how much we enjoyed hosting you. I personally miss our morning banter, but look forward to your next visit and some jocular quips!

See you then!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I booked an overnight get away for my bday. We had an amazing time!
Our room was great. Not too small, and with everything we needed ... And such cool furnishings.
The best part was the staff. Everyone went out of their way to make sure we felt welcome. They sent up champagne for my bday, and upgraded our room to a larger suite at no extra cost and left cookies on our pillow. The managers were exceptionally attentive and friendly.
We had dinner in the restaurant - the sushi was exceptionally good, and the service was excellent.
Breakfast in the cafe was also lovely. The blueberry scones were heavenly!
We spent time walking around visiting local galleries and shops...great furniture and clothing shops abound.
All in all, I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Date of stay: November 2012
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

IngridGF

Again – Happy Birthday from all of us. We were so thrilled to host you for your very special day, and it was a pleasure to meet you.

I hope you and WD join us again soon – for yet another birthday?

Welcome to the Family!

Jonathan

PS – Jerry on our team says “Hello”

Reviewed November 1, 2012

An extremely nice and (for business) unusual place to stay.
Although it is clearly a hipster hangout the staff are the opposite to what you might fear.
All extremely charming and helpful.
While the largest room, the "suite" in which I stayed, is not exactly huge it has everything you could want and is cosy and quirky, though still with a good bathroom.
Only one misstep: they failed to order a car which I requested at checkout for later that evening.
Problem was handled with charm and efficiency however.
Queen Street West has plenty of nice independent shops and restaurants, though the food in the hotel itself is also very good.

Room tip: Go for the suite.
Date of stay: November 2012

Londoner Chris

Thank you for taking the time to follow up with me recently regarding the issue with your town car and I am thrilled my team managed to rectify the oversight for you.

I am thrilled you enjoyed the Drake experience, our newly renovated bathrooms, and our Café’s early morning Espresso, OJ and house made granola!

I hope to welcome you again soon,

X[OH!]

Reviewed October 28, 2012

More of a hipster hideaway, really. The wifi sucked, there was no proper workspace in the room, and it's a cab ride away from downtown. But the staff are fun.

There's a nightclub downstairs and one of the days I stayed there was a party on the roof, so you may not get as much sleep as you were hoping for.

The bed was very comfortable though and I liked the way the bathroom was set out behind a curtain at the end of the room.

Great breakfast in the attached cafe.

Date of stay: October 2012

Citizen Dave,

Thank you for the compliments. Drake does have a pretty amazing team working tirelessly for the comfort and enjoyment of our guests, and I am glad you noticed the fun we have while doing so.

Regarding the Wi-Fi, I am sorry you had service interruptions. Drake does engage an outside party to monitor our systems and they typically can rectify our issues within a few minutes of a call to them. While they sort out the issues, hotel guest of course have 24 hour access to our Computer Pad - and we keep a supply of LAN cables on site to help our guests “plug in” while we look into the situation.

From our comfortable beds, to our amazing food offerings, I am pleased you managed to enjoy much of your stay, and I hope we do have the opportunity to see you again.

X[OH!]