“Cool - for Toronto”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #7 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The problem that the Drake has is that it believes that being 'the hippest hotel in Toronto' actually means that it's a remotely hip hotel.

Of course it isn't, no more than being the best Rapper in Salt Lake City would get you anywhere in LA or Detroit.

But you see it has the attitude. It has the sneers. The quizzically raised eyebrows? The upward intonation that questions you at every turn.

Calling tiny rooms 'crash pads' is interesting - they're still tiny rooms though.
And your 'sex toy' menu is sweet rather than daring
The noise coming from the 'hot in Toronto' band downstairs is too close
The people in your rooftop bar just too obnoxious (in shooting a tampon ad and believing it's a movie)

Look it's not a bad hotel, but what it really needs to do is relax some. Stop trying so hard. Stop holding in your stomach and sucking in your cheekbones and become something that feels a little less forced.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear stevenjude

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am – of course – sorry we didn’t meet your expectations.

We take a great deal of pride not only in our service + offerings, but in our staff and, in particular, our valued guests. Obviously we were surprised by your experience.

Drake offers a wide range of opportunities to suit all of our guests, from our casual café to the upbeat atmosphere of our Lounge and Sky Yard, or the live indie shows in The Underground, we do our best to program experiences for all guests from all walks of life.

Again we appreciate your feedback, and hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Drake Hotel Toronto

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had a fabulous few days in one of the Crash Pads. Everything you could want from a hotel, friendly, relaxed, artistic, entertaining....Jonathan particularly made sure the stay was hassle free.
I will return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Peter M.

Insert blushing emoticon here: We are obviously thrilled you enjoyed your stay, and I think you know how much we enjoyed hosting you. I personally miss our morning banter, but look forward to your next visit and some jocular quips!

See you then!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I booked an overnight get away for my bday. We had an amazing time!
Our room was great. Not too small, and with everything we needed ... And such cool furnishings.
The best part was the staff. Everyone went out of their way to make sure we felt welcome. They sent up champagne for my bday, and upgraded our room to a larger suite at no extra cost and left cookies on our pillow. The managers were exceptionally attentive and friendly.
We had dinner in the restaurant - the sushi was exceptionally good, and the service was excellent.
Breakfast in the cafe was also lovely. The blueberry scones were heavenly!
We spent time walking around visiting local galleries and shops...great furniture and clothing shops abound.
All in all, I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: November 2012
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

IngridGF

Again – Happy Birthday from all of us. We were so thrilled to host you for your very special day, and it was a pleasure to meet you.

I hope you and WD join us again soon – for yet another birthday?

Welcome to the Family!

Jonathan

PS – Jerry on our team says “Hello”

Reviewed November 1, 2012

An extremely nice and (for business) unusual place to stay.
Although it is clearly a hipster hangout the staff are the opposite to what you might fear.
All extremely charming and helpful.
While the largest room, the "suite" in which I stayed, is not exactly huge it has everything you could want and is cosy and quirky, though still with a good bathroom.
Only one misstep: they failed to order a car which I requested at checkout for later that evening.
Problem was handled with charm and efficiency however.
Queen Street West has plenty of nice independent shops and restaurants, though the food in the hotel itself is also very good.

Room Tip: Go for the suite.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Londoner Chris

Thank you for taking the time to follow up with me recently regarding the issue with your town car and I am thrilled my team managed to rectify the oversight for you.

I am thrilled you enjoyed the Drake experience, our newly renovated bathrooms, and our Café’s early morning Espresso, OJ and house made granola!

I hope to welcome you again soon,

Reviewed October 28, 2012

More of a hipster hideaway, really. The wifi sucked, there was no proper workspace in the room, and it's a cab ride away from downtown. But the staff are fun.

There's a nightclub downstairs and one of the days I stayed there was a party on the roof, so you may not get as much sleep as you were hoping for.

The bed was very comfortable though and I liked the way the bathroom was set out behind a curtain at the end of the room.

Great breakfast in the attached cafe.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Citizen Dave,

Thank you for the compliments. Drake does have a pretty amazing team working tirelessly for the comfort and enjoyment of our guests, and I am glad you noticed the fun we have while doing so.

Regarding the Wi-Fi, I am sorry you had service interruptions. Drake does engage an outside party to monitor our systems and they typically can rectify our issues within a few minutes of a call to them. While they sort out the issues, hotel guest of course have 24 hour access to our Computer Pad - and we keep a supply of LAN cables on site to help our guests “plug in” while we look into the situation.

From our comfortable beds, to our amazing food offerings, I am pleased you managed to enjoy much of your stay, and I hope we do have the opportunity to see you again.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Drake a few weeks ago as part of my birthday celebration, and we had a wonderful experience.

First off, they upgraded our room to the suite at no extra charge, and since it was my birthday, gracefully granted late check-out at no extra fee. Since it was Indie Week, and many bars were serving until 4:00 AM, this was welcomed!

We dined at the restaurant, and were extremely impressed; most hotel restaurants in Toronto are mediocre in comparison to most things nearby, but we enjoyed every last bite of our meal, not to mention the $3 drink specials they had that evening.

The in-house TV station played Davey & Goliath, Betty Boop, and old Justice League episodes... almost enough to make one want to stay in on the Saturday night of one's birthday! It was great to come home, and wake up to though.

Service was great all around. We ordered a bucket of ice, and it was delivered to our room within minutes during the peak of the Saturday dinner hour. The service and customer experience here would put many of the higher-end chain hotels in Toronto to shame.

I have nothing negative to say about the Drake, however in the interest of other travelers, I will point out that the place is usually bustling, and may not be the best choice for a quiet, relaxing getaway. Occasionally we could hear the bass from the cafe below (which did not bother us in the least). As well, between the Underground, Sky Bar, Lounge and restaurant, it is almost overwhelming because you'll want to experience it ALL, but simply cannot in one night if you have made plans to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Kam D!!!

I am thrilled you enjoyed your birthday With Drake. I am even more thrilled that you did leave your room to come down and celebrate in style! You’re right: our Saturdays are not to be missed.

I sincerely hope you have the chance to come and visit us again soon – perhaps for JS’s birthday? In any event, we will keep Drake TV on for you… just in case.

Jonathan

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I were HUGE fans of this Art Hotel, the staff was incredibly professional. We will definitely visit again when we return to Toronto, which i hope will be often. For a hotel that has so few rooms i never felt cramped, each was rather spacious and comfortable with all the ammenties of a 5 star chain. As "older" travelers we did not feel out of place in Toronto's hippest hotel , surrounded by "hipsters", it was an absolute joy. The bar and restaurant were on par with those of W and Hilton for their selection and execution, I love this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Jack C

I have to admit this Art Hotel is a huge fan of yours! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and we appreciate those 5 stars!

We miss you both, but are excited that you will be joining us again soon.

See you then!