“Unlike any other hotel!”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #4 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Hamilton, Canada
“Unlike any other hotel!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I've stayed at the Drake twice and been to several events there and cannot say enough. The staff makes you feel at home and you feel like you've known them forever. They are the friendliest staff and make sure your every need is taken care of. The food is exceptional!!!! So fresh and unique. Some may call the rooms small but I say they are the perfect size and utilize every inch of space. They make sure you have everything you need. I would highly recommend the Drake. I know I'll be back!!!! :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Girgo

We were so thrilled to have had you come “home” and thank you for the comments. I am so happy that as a returning guest you found your time with us to be fresh and unique. (2 of our great mandates for the best guest experience).

We promise next time to be even more memorable than the last.

X[OH!]

Jonathan + Drake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Drake Hotel is a desperate teenage hipster struggling to be cool. Zero charm. Filled with lots of people taking themselves way too seriously. Lame, lame, lame. Rude staff, no parking, no elevator, no class. A poorly constructed Etsy-style, science fair project gone terribly awry.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lady C
Dear Lady C,

Please accept my humblest apologies for your experience. I did try to connect with you in the hopes of getting a few more details regarding your stay, but perhaps I can address some of your concerns here.

As I have mentioned before, the heritage nature of the Drake did preclude us from having an elevator installed however any of our team members are happy to take guest luggage and packages to our guest rooms, we understand weary travelers and endeavor to make every moment of your experience relaxing and enjoyable - Plans are in the works to correct the elevator issue, and we are excited about these changes!

Regarding Parking: Our confirmation letters do offer hotel guests a parking option, however our spaces are limited, and we encourage guests to book them as soon as possible. In addition, any of our Front Desk team is at the ready to describe additional options in the Queen West neighborhood (there are 2 lots directly across the street from us, and a third 2 blocks to the East), as well as a few street options.

We pride ourselves on our staff, our service and our cultural experiences and I am, again, saddened we did not meet & exceed your expectations. I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns: As you know it is only through our guests continued feedback that we are able to ameliorate ourselves and our service; Thank You!

Jonathan
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Drake is much more than a hotel. Actually I am not sure how many rooms it has. The restarurant and the bar are excellent, although it is a trendy place the athmosphere is not as snobish as you would expect. The surroundings couldnt be better. Highly recommended at any time of the day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Roberto S
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I've only been here once or twice, but the attention was always very nice, food and bars great. With very cool things happening, i saw Nortec collective there once.
Not a quiet place that is for sure so if what you are planning is rest and tranquility it is not the place to go.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Drake hotel is in the edgy Art district of Toronto. There is a street car station right outside, making travel by public transport very convenient. The rooms are funky and functional, which was wonderful, especially taking a shower whilst watching TV. The toiletry products come in large bottles, so no fiddling with small caps, and are simply divine (available for purchase in the Drake shop) You get fluffy robes and towels, a TV with lots of channels and a DVD library as well as some pink bubbles when you arrive. Each night they put a cookie or cake slice on your pillow.
Staff throughout the hotel is lovely and goes out of their way explaining the public transport system, carrying your (heavy!) case upstairs, recommending a hair dresser, etc. Special thanks to Jonathan, the manager & to David and Perry at the restaurant/ sky yard, who made me feel right at home. Not something I come across often as a solo traveller.
The food is very fresh, tasty and varied (excellent burgers, sushi, steaks, wonderful cocktails), so you literally don't have to go out at all. But please do as this area is incredibly vibrant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

The Drake is first and foremost an experience. It is to be understood not as just a hotel or a cool bar or a great restaurant or a concert venue. It is a sum of its parts. And a sum greater than the parts it is.
I reserved the Drake without knowing as my chain hotel choices in Toronto were booked with conferences. I got a suite, meaning a spacious room with comfy bed and adjoining bath. Cannot be bad.
To begin with the room was great, as if it was taken from a hipster dream. Cool colors, art and handmade art doll to keep you company. The bathroom was elegant and roomy. Everything was beyond spotless and squeaky clean. Best in Toronto.
The rooms are located in the second and third floors of the hotel. The second floor consists of crash pads, tiny rooms made mostly for escapades that follow concerts or more or less romantic entanglements. The suites, not many of those, are meant for those who need more space or that are actually visiting not storming through.
Above is the Drake's open air sky bar. Terrific cocktails, great staff and naturally a scene to be in. The restaurant downstairs is excellent as well with great food and a Mac n cheese that should be declared a miracle. The café for breakfast was a mild downer with surly staff and nothing special food - but it could be just me, in a suit.
Being a concert venue you are forewarned the noise may persist till 2 am. Bring ear plugs. I did not experience any of it the night of a concert (the great Milk Carton Kids). Just be aware.
The location is the very heart of cool and revived Toronto. More great eateries and places to hang out.
The Drake offers free strong WiFi but has no parking or on premises gym. You have free gym access nearby (did not try) and parking overnight can be had and reserved for an extra $25. Rooms have a safe.
The Drake is not cheap. You pay for the experience and to say you're staying there. But locals will jump on the opportunity to hang out with you there. The restaurants and bar are high end as well. All in all, though I am sold. Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed September 2012
Prague
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I say that because the only thing I can think of that wasn't excellent was the vague rumbling sound in my "crash pad" 207 which continued long after the club had closed and resembled a fan somewhere in my room which I couldn't work out how to switch off. And yes, I turned the air-con off and also experimented with the two switches marked "fan" but no joy.
Anyway, I was so tired that I was bashing out zeds in no time. Very comfy beds there.
So I wished that I'd called reception who would have sorted it out in seconds, I'm sure.
It was the first time for me in a "Boutique Hotel" so I can't compare it with other hotels which are similarly labelled, but this one was really ultra-cool and the manager (Jonathan's name has been mentioned enough already in other reviews here, and when I met him during checkout then I understood why) is the most helpful guy on planet earth. And he refused my tip. Erm, he refused to be tipped. You get the gist. :)
You can smoke there too!! In the upstairs open-air bar and on the ground floor outdoor patio. Massive plus for me in a city that apparently insists by law that you be 29.32 feet away from any other human being before you can light up (That may be a slight exaggeration/wild estimate).
The room was excellent in every way apart from that strange rumbling noise. Everything you needed and more. The breakfast was great too. Decent bacon and a real sausage.
I'd stay there again. Defo.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends