“Absolutely perfect”

Drake Hotel Toronto
Ranked #8 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My husband and I were in Toronto for work, scheduled to stay at a large downtown hotel when I came across the reviews for the Drake on Tripadvisor. We decided this place sounded a lot more interesting, so we switched our reservations over, and I'm very happy we did.

Location is incredibly convenient - West Queen West is a straight shot by streetcar to anywhere you'd need to be, and there are so many great restaurants and shops nearby, we found ourselves enjoying a 3-4 km walk between conference and hotel just because we wanted to stop in at so many places. The hotel is right across from a public parking lot, where we easily prepaid for the whole stay's worth of parking, no worries at all.

The hotel itself is easy to find and just lovely - modern design, a great gift shop of quirky presents, fantastic bath products, and an all-around friendly and cool atmosphere that never crossed into hipper-than-thou territory.

I had been a little worried about noise since it was St Patricks Day weekend and I had to be up early every day, but the sounds of the restaurant faded as soon as we walked into the room hall, and only one or two short instances of chatter were all we ever heard or saw of other guests or pedestrians, even though we were just on the 2nd floor. (Room 205 was perfect.)

One aside: I saw several reviews here mentioned the manager by name, and how fantastic he was. I found this a little surprising, since how many places that aren't b&b do you even meet the manager? However, we had a minor issue with our room (pipe leaking), and not only did Jonathan find us for a personal chat about it with options, he was so incredibly nice and helpful about it that I could immediately see why people remember his name and rave about him.

I would absolutely stay here again. I would not recommend the place to older guests uncomfortable with a semi-club atmosphere in the evenings, or those with kids who need space or amenities of chain hotels, but thumbs up to couples, close friends (the glass showers are awesome but there is no mystery to be had), and those passing through wanting something beyond a cookie cutter room!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank JayTheBay

Reviewed March 18, 2012

My partner and I just spent our anniversary at The Drake and swore we will regularly find reasons to return. Jonathon and all of the staff give the place its 'heart' and add to the pampering that the funky rooms( including 'steps from the bed' shower and amenities plus uber-comfy mattress and comforter), great artwork and fabulous food provide. Despite their being a live band downstairs, our room was peacefully quiet. Grabbing coffee and fresh baked goodies from the diner downstairs made checking out a delight. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you to Jonathon et al for making our stay so incredible. Can't wait to come back!
Annie & Jeff

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I booked the Drake for an anniversary surprise for my wife, with dinner at Scaramouche thrown in. The hotel room was good, although a little expensive at $279 plus tax.

In our room was a noisy fan heater, which I managed to switch off after fiddling with the wall thermostat for five minutes.

On returning from dinner we discovered that someone had been in the room, plumped the pillows and turned the heater on. There was a bad smell of burning, the kind you get when you switch on a dusty heater for the first time in months.

That pretty much ended the special date night, as I spent 20 minutes trying to ventilate the room and make the air breathable.

On check out I mentioned this disappointment, but the front desk lady just shrugged and said "I'm sure it's fine". I don't know whether she meant that the heater was fine, or the burning smell ruining my stay was fine.

I won't be visiting the Drake again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OakvilleChipmunk
Jonathan_LeClaire, Manager at Drake Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Dear Oakville Chipmunk.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me earlier and again; I hope you and your wife can accept my sincerest apologies. I am saddened that we caused such frustration on an important date night.

As we discussed, our hotel rooms recently underwent some exciting renovations, and it seems the heater in your room may have been damaged during construction; the unit has since been replaced. This, however, is no excuse for your discomfort and our failure to provide you and your wife the best possible experience you expected from us.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience, and hope you do give us a try again. I promise, you will be pleasantly surprised.

X[OH!]

Jonathan

Reviewed February 19, 2012

We spent our "second honeymoon" here and were treated like royalty. I was greeted by Jonathan the hotel manager upon our arrival. He was so warm and inviting. He helped my husband navigate through the city traffic to our parking spot. He went above and beyond at every turn. He arranged dinner for us in their dining room which was out of this world! He gave us advice on things to see while in Toronto. He made sure that we were comfortable at every turn. The hotel itself is gorgeous and full of history. The room was perfect from the amazing bed to the fantastic shower and wonderful bath products, we truly felt pampered all stay. Our only regret was not booking a longer trip! We can't wait to go back and we are so thankful that Jonathan was there to make our stay unforgettable!!!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Rudyhuling
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Just left my third stay at The Drake and this time for a birthday celebration. Jonathan Leclaire and the front desk team (Craig, Pam, Zoey) made me feel like I was coming home. The Drake is a fun hotel, gitchy rooms, well appointed, and plenty-o-fun with mutiple packed bar/ restaurants even in the dead of winter. It is the staff, however, that sets this place apart from any other boutique hotel. Jonathan and his crew made every meal and activity happen that we asked for help with. Far beyond that, they personalized the stay in such a way that they did things to make my days better that I would not even have thought of myself. If you stay, do not hesitate to ask for suggestions and assistance, you will not be disappointed. Important tidbits I learned on the third round: the burger should not be missed, and the sushi is excellent.

Room Tip: If you plan to hang out much in room, upgrade to a den or larger.. crash pads are small but still ve...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kklowrider
Reviewed January 17, 2012

If you're looking for a relaxing atmosphere, somewhere where you can just relax and catch up with your friends after work or class the drake hotel is the place you're looking for! I went there with my co-workers recently and we sat on the patio with heaters by their gas fire and enjoyed some nice drinks and their AMAZING food. I personally ordered the Nachos with the lobster! They were a little on the expensive side, $25.00 with tax but SO worth it :) I highly recommend the drake hotel and their yummy nachos!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2012

My wife and I recently spent a night at the Drake Hotel. We had high expectations, and they were more than met. Rooms are really cool, interesting layout and good use of space. Lots of neat little additions - major attention to detail.

We had drinks in the lounge, which was cozy and relaxed. The Hedgehog was a unique cocktail - my wife wrote down the recipe to recreate at home.

We had dinner in the dining room, good atmosphere and generally a good place to hang out. Reasonably priced - scallop dish was great. Steak frites also great, and both were healthy portions.

We ended up heading to bed early and not visiting the music venue downstairs, but couldn't hear a thing in our room, even though we were on the second floor. Bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast the next morning in the cafe was awesome. You don't even need to leave the hotel to be entertained and to dine properly. We'll be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple