“Delicious!”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Had a very late dinner there and for sure it's a happening place, we had reservation for 9:15, people still coming in after us.
We both ordered lunch size pasta for our main and they were delicious , we each ordered some small plates to share as appetizers , great wine list ! Definitely would go back there to try other dishes on the menu!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

My husband and I had dinner here last Friday. If there are just two of you I suggest sitting at the bar. This is our third or fourth time here and I am never disappointed. The food is excellent and so is the service.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Went to THR last weekend with my family for a birthday celebration.

We had been to this location several times in the past when it was a different place and when I read the reviews on this restaurant I decided to try it out.

The meal in general was good.

I had the the dandelion and ricotta pizza pie and I was very disappointed with it. When it was brought to the table they broke the egg yolk and smeared it over the hot pizza. But the pizza was left in the oven too long. I actually smelled it before it got to the table. It was very burnt. I generally never return food but all I could taste and smell was the burnt crust. The waiter was very apologetic and took it away and brought me back another one. He also told me that there would be no charge. This new one was done a bit better. Still burnt on the bottom but not as much as the first one. I didn't read any poor reviews on this pizza and I really wanted to try it. I ate half of it because I didn't want to complain again. Because of this experience I doubt I will return.

The other meals at the table were extremely good and I tasted all of them.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I will admit that we quizzed the staff intensely and learned quite a lot. Because of this, we ordered dishes that we would not have ordered otherwise. Everything was great that in order to have the full experience we shared as much as we could with one another. I look forward to feasting on their new big patio next year. THR&Co. staff, please keep up the good work.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

THR & Co. (short form for The Harbord Room & Company) is situated two doors down from the first restaurant with a slightly larger dining room and menu. The food offerings are similar (pastas and proteins); but, in the place of the iconic burger are pizza pies (three on the menu and usually a daily special as well). All pastas include an option of a half or full size, which makes it great for trying multiple ones or having as an appetizer (coincidentally what I did).

My starter of black spaghetti ($13; half portion shown or full portion available for $19) gets it colour from the squid or cuttlefish ink added into the dough. Aside from its dark colour, the ink also adds a seafood like essence to the pasta making it quite flavourful even without a sauce. THR & Co. serves the pasta aglio e olio style (essentially with a garlic and oil based sauce) allowing the seafood flavours to shine through. As a warning, there is a lot of oil in the dish; I found it to be to too much and ended up scooping up the pasta into my side plate in order to wipe some of the oil off.

Pieces of charred squid and bottarga (a Mediterranean cured fish roe) add a deep briny seafood taste to the spaghetti and made me reminiscent of a heavenly plate of spaghetti I had sitting ocean side at Positano’s port. It’s hard to describe but is a complex flavour that floods the mouth and is likely an acquired taste. The addition of poblano and pequin peppers add a spicy kick to the pasta that’s unexpected but delightful.

My husband opted for the beef heart tartare ($12) which sounds off putting but is actually very delicious. Not as chewy as normal beef tartare, the heart is much lighter and allows the dish to become almost pâté like while still retaining some distinctive pieces. The beef was very well flavoured with salty green olive relish, a light espelette (type of pepper) mayonnaise, a dusting of cured duck yolk and drizzles of Banyuls vinegar (a French wine vinegar). With all the different flavours you can’t even taste the beef heart! Served with a light fried chip (which may be the crispy tendon that’s noted on the menu?) rather than bread the texture is a great smooth and crispy contrast. The crispy chip is light and airy; the consistency a mix between pork rind and a shrimp chip (without their flavours).

Continuing with the carbs, I had the dandelion and ricotta pizza pie ($14) as my main. It arrives with a fried egg in the middle, which the server breaks with a spoon and smooths over the hot pizza to allow the egg yolk to cook. Salty pieces of pancetta, thinly slice potatoes and white cheddar shavings top the pizza – all nice simple flavours. I particularly like the rosemary leaves sprinkled on top along with smoked salt giving the pizza a wonderful earthy essence. The dandelion is broken down into the oil based sauce spread onto the dough and along with the ricotta are neutral tasting letting the other ingredients shine through. The crust is thin, crispy and has a great corn meal crusted bottom that you can actually hold in your hand without it drooping. Each pizza is served with a pair of scissors making it a breeze to cut and share.

The rib eye’s ($28) chimichurri sauce was delicious and helped cut through the fattier cut of steak. Alas, both steaks ordered at our table arrived extremely overdone. The over doneness is likely done to the steak being cut too thinly (less than an inch thick). Normally, if a cheaper cut of beef like a flat iron or skirt steak is used, the thinner cut may be warranted. However, the rib eye is such a well-marbled cut that a thicker cut can be withstood. Nonetheless, the steak was still tender and well flavoured from the sauce and pat of marrow butter.

My husband ordered a side of summer succotash ($6) to accompany the otherwise unadorned steak. It was a great side for the warm weather made up of kernels of sweet corn, zucchini, pearl onion and grape tomatoes. Unlike the other dishes that are very strongly flavoured, the side was minimalistic with the natural flavours of the vegetables. It also had a small square of grilled corn bread that I never had a chance to try as my husband gobbled it all down.

Each day THR & Co. offers a selection of home-made ice creams and sorbets ($5/scoop). During our visit, we sampled beautifully adorned coconut, strawberry, buttermilk and dulce del leche scoops. They were all delicious with each person at the table liking a different flavour. My favourite was coconut, which had a nice light taste. My husband’s favourite was the creamy buttermilk drizzled with honey. The strawberry sorbet was topped with savoury bits giving it a nice sweet and salty combination.

Served with the dessert was a shooter of home-made lemoncello ($7) which has a splendid citrus smell that is so refreshing after a heavy dinner. With just a hint of lemon and sweetness, this is a very easy drinking.

I also tried the Tall Confession ($12) made from gin, mint syrup, cucumber soda and fresh lime juice, topped with blueberries and a wedge of cucumber. Despite it being a brilliant pink colour, it’s not like a girly cosmo – the Tall Confession is light and refreshing, a great summer cocktail.

Overall, THR & Co. appears to be a place that offers something for all. During our visit, there was an eclectic crowd of patrons of vary ages and cultures. Perhaps what draws people in is the friendliness of the staff and their laid back attitude – we saw them joking and helping each other and got the sense that they genuinely liked working there. Even though there’s a finer dining flair to the place (as noticed by the cutlery change with each course), things are still down-to-earth and comfortable. The postcard below arrived with our bill, cute but must have a hidden message – can someone please tell me what this means?!

For pictures of the above please visit http://gastroworldblog.blogspot.ca/2013/10/thr-co-toronto.html