“Dishes meant for sharing.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Catrin

El Catrin
Reserve with OpenTable
El Catrin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 8,439 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish, Central American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located in the Distillery District, El Catrin is an authentic Mexican eatery with a lively vibe and fun staff. With a stunning hand painted 20'x60' mural and one of the best patios and cocktails lists in the city, El Catrin is sure to be a hit.
Toronto, Canada
“Dishes meant for sharing.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had dinner at El Catrin prior to theatre nearby, and loved it! It's a very large, loud room but the service was excellent and I was able to hear my friend over the music and din. Food here is meant for sharing so we ordered at least 5 dishes. Serving platters were lovely; each item fresh, tasty and unique. If you like Mexican food, this restaurant is for you. Lovely décor.

I would return again for lunch or dinner midweek when it might not be as busy or noisy, but with the tourist crowds and locals alike, coming to the Distillery District, El Catrin will be continually busy - as it should be!

• Visited April 2014
El C, Community Manager at El Catrin, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi yyzcanadagal! Thank you for the kind words and we hope to see you again soon!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oakville, Canada
“attractive decore, great location- not so good service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Our dinner was less than desired. The waiter was forgetful and had a bad attitude. Several times we had to remind him of our order. Coffee was cold by time it arrived

• Visited April 2014
El C, Community Manager at El Catrin, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi Travellers-Ont! We're sorry to hear that the service you received at El Catrin was not ideal. We've passed your review onto our team so that we can continue to learn and improve. We do hope that you'll visit us again soon. Thank you for the feedback.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

We ordered a large guacamole bowl with my friend to start with. It came with nachos and four different dipping sauces. The guacamole is made in front of you. All of it was very tasty, but for some reason the lady who served us did not look very happy and after we were finished with the starter, I had to actually hold my hand up for several minutes until somebody in the front fetched the waitress from the other side of the restaurant. For such a lofty restaurant, I would really expect a lot more. We ordered beef tacos, which were also good but even for a place like this, were very small and we left the place hungry. Overall, it's not worth the price and if the service is regularly the kind of service we experienced, I have no reason to go there again or recommend El Catrin to anyone.

El C, Community Manager at El Catrin, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi EdOfFinland! I'm very sorry to hear you were disappointed by your El Catrin experience. I've passed your feedback along to our front of house team so we can continue to learn and improve. Thank you for your feedback
Burlington, Canada
“Disapointed - least complaisant restaurant!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

First time I have a terrible experience paying the bill, we were a group of 20 ladies celebrating a birthday. The manager explained that we were being charged X amount for the meal already set (for groups of 13 and over) but we needed to do the extra adding of our drinks, taxes and gratuity. The bill had all items together. He said that most of the time, one customer will pay the whole amount and then the others will pay him or her accordingly... the bill was more than $1,000.00 and we were 20 ladies with one mutual friend (the birthday girl).. He also said that "that's the most convenient way for the restaurant" NO kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

The follow weekend I went with a smaller group for lunch celebrating another birthday (despite my warning)... the service was unbelievable poor, the waiter forgot every detail that we requested... (dressing on the side, more chips, a meal for one costumer, a coffee for another..) the food was spicy even though we indicated the children couldn't eat spicy food, we previously ask which items on the menu where suitable for children.

The food is good but not authentic Mexican food.

1 Thank Matzara
El C, Community Manager at El Catrin, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi Matzara! I'm very sorry to hear you were disappointed by your two visits to El Catrin. We pride ourselves on our authentic Mexican cuisine as our chef, Olivier Le Calvez actually moved to Toronto from Mexico to open El Catrin. We also have a menu full of items that are perfect for kids and not spicy at all.
We have passed your comments onto our managerial staff as we are always looking to improve our service. Thank you for your feedback.
Toronto
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed - again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have lived in Toronto for over 30 years after spending my youth in California where I learned to love Mexican food. I have waited for a decent Mexican restaurant to arrive for all these years and had high hopes for this new offering. We went for drinks and the Guac, just to give it a try. The outside patio and restaurant is beautiful and has a nice Mexican vibe without being tacky...however, when the bill was delivered, the entire experience was ruined. The bill was over $160 for 2 orders of guac, 2 pitchers of Margaritas, and 3 beer. You have got to be kidding me. As usual, pretentious pricing and trendy locations spoil what could have been a good thing. From what I understand, the food is not all that authentic either, just more glorified tacos with fancy names. Mexican food has so much more to offer than these go-tos.

The Mexican dining experience has traditionally been equated to good food and drinks with a big dose of fun and hospitality, at a reasonable price. Looks like we will still be waiting and making the trek out to "Made in Mexico" in Newmarket to satisfy our Mexican cravings... there seems to be a new offering in Whitby as well, Los Cabos... will try this soon, so look for the review.

El C, Community Manager at El Catrin, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi Jayneca! Very sorry to hear you were disappointed by El Catrin. Our chef, Olivier Le Calvez moved from Mexico to Toronto to open El Catrin so we believe that we are delivering the best, authentic flavour as possible. We do hope you'll return to El Catrin one soon. Thanks!