“Good visit on the whole. Good food and beers.”

Amsterdam BrewHouse - On the Lake
Ranked #138 of 9,301 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue, Fusion, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Description: Where Locally Crafted Beer Meets Fresh Artisan Food! Our menu showcases some of the most creative uses of not only beer, but elements of the entire brewing process. From cooking with spent grains, making reductions from young beer, and creating braises & sauces from our many brewed-on-site adventure beers, we use it wherever we are able! Our pier location, directly on Toronto's waterfront, provides an unparalleled 270 degree view of Lake Ontario. Centrally situated in the Harbourfront neighborhood, we offer the convenience of being a short walk from all the cities top attractions, including the Rogers Centre, CN Tower, Metro Toronto Convention Centre and Air Canada Centre, as well as its vibrant Financial, Entertainment and Theatre districts. Our 14,000 square foot facility offers an on-site craft micro-brewery, impressive patios, flexible audio visual systems, an authentic wood burning oven, open kitchen, retail beer store and an experienced culinary team.
Reviewed August 16, 2015

I chose Amsterdam Brewhouse as we specifically wanted a craft brewery pub / restaurant. It was a toss up between this or Mill Street Brewery. Amsterdam won due to its harbour front location.

When we asked for a table for 2 we were taken upstairs even though there were lots of free tables downstairs in the cavernous hall. I was initially a little peeved at this as downstairs looked to have more atmosphere, upstairs was fairly empty and quiet. We did get by a table by the window with lovely views out over the harbour though. By the time we left a couple of hours later downstairs was packed, heaving, busy and noisy whereas although upstairs was much busier it was still fairly quiet and sedate, so actually we ended up being glad that we'd been seated upstairs.

We started with one of their beer flights (Richmond & John) to sample a few of the different beers before choosing the ones we liked. We were sharing the beer flight, and the waitress looked a little put out by the fact we were sharing a beer flight. Maybe she thought that was all we were going to order?! I'm glad we did get the beer flight as the beer I was initially going to order, Oranje Weisse, I didn't actually like - it was too sweet and tasted too much like orange soda. The beer flights are a really good idea to get a feel for what you like, the samples are good sizes and they're reasonably priced.

Food. We shared chicken wings, we chose the honey sriracha sauce - which was super hot. We both ordered burgers and subbed sweet potato fries for an extra $2. Too full for dessert even though I'd had my eye on the chocolate torte. The food was solidly good pub fare, not the best food I've ever had, but for pub restaurant food we couldn't really fault it. Big portions too.

Beers. The other 3 beers on the Richmond & John beer flight were all really nice; 416 local lager, natural blonde lager and raspberry wheat. We ended up having 2 beers each, I had a 416 local lager and a raspberry wheat, OH had 2 raspberry wheat.

We's booked a brewery tour with them for the following morning, which is a whole other story, and a separate review if I can actually post two reviews?

Write a ReviewReviews (2,182)

Reviewed August 15, 2015

I has spent the morning walking about the Financial District of Toronto and wanted a break and fuel to finish my day of exploring the downtown area of this cosmopolitan city. I requested and was provided a most comfortable chair, in the shade, overlooking Toronto's Inner Harbor and Islands. It was a wonderful view. I struck up a conversation with a local, who likewise enjoyed a good cold beer, consequently, we had a nice rambling conversation about life and the sorts of things one talks about while sitting on a wharf drinking beer.
My fish tacos were delicious, the beer good and cold, the service slow- and they weren't that busy. It was Thursday, early afternoon and the wait staff needs help understanding what service means.
Despite the lack of attention, I rate the place good because of my new Canadian friend, the view and the cold beer.

Reviewed August 13, 2015

The patio near the lake is a hot ticket. Two of us lined up for 30 minutes, with our name on a list. When a table for two opened up, and it was our turn, we were walked into the restaurant... closer to the lake... closer... there's a table for two right next to the railing... and past that table to a four-seater next to the bus station and the door to the kitchen (which stunk, by the way).

We asked to be moved to another table, perhaps "that one", and were huffed at by an apathetic waitress who spoke to an apathetic manager for about 3 seconds, returning with "there's a wait list, so there's nowhere else to seat you". Sweetheart, there's 3 empty tables within view, and we're ahead of everyone else on that waitlist.

Insult to injury: a twosome who arrived in line ten minutes after us was seated at the good table. Did I mention they were older "of a certain age"... apparently that's all they care about. I guess my suit (was after work) suggests that I'm not prepared to spend as much money as the older folks.

We left and went to the Watermark, just down the street. Go there instead - they don't care what age their patrons are - everyone gets treated the same.

2  Thank notyetworldly
Reviewed August 13, 2015 via mobile

I'm sorry, but we went there tonight and brought Captain Obvious with us... Actually it would appear we forgot.

We waited in line for the patio on the harbour for close to 35 minutes, turning down bad seats twice. Finally we were seated.

Our hostess brought us out to the harbour front, yes! Good seats. Nope. She turned and brought us back in and set us right outside the kitchen.

On our way we passed two open sets of seats right against the glass. We sat down and waited about 5 minutes to ask our server to move directly out of the zone of the bussers at which point she huffed and walked towards the open chairs. Unfortunately at that point the one had already been taken and the chairs we asked for were being seated... Both by couples who were far behind us in the line. Again both were available at the time we walked past them. Clean and ready.

I know it's petty but really people. It's common sense. You're a busy bar, losing two patrons isn't your concern but someone should have some common sense on why people would wait 35 minutes only to be walked past the great seats and put in the crappy ones. Even more disappointing when we asked to be reseated in another open spot the server shrugged her shoulders and made no attempt to appease us as we walked out.

On the bright side, there are many more pubs in the area! We ended up at the Watermark.

Small things matter people.

1  Thank Thetravellinman12
Reviewed August 13, 2015

Went one night and over-ordered food - perhaps knowing we were English they might have helped, but never mind. Barman was off hand and not friendly, but the beer was good.
But we decided to book the brewery tour the following day, turned up a5 minutes before the allotted time, were told to wait in the bar and then were ignored. We left it 20 minutes, there was no-one to ask what had happened so we walked out. You'd be better off trying the steam Whistle Brewery instead.

1  Thank 470JohnH470