“Impressed!”

Sake Bar Kushi
Ranked #2,644 of 10,303 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Pub
Neighborhood: Old Toronto
Description: Japanese Charcoal BBQ restaurant.
Reviewed March 15, 2017

We were so glad to have wandered west of Eglinton today. This izakaya is solid. Great service and great food. Our servers were also Japanese- love authentic places!

We ordered an edemame appetizer, a 15 pc sashimi- we were so surprised at their thickness! Grilled mackerel was also huge at only $7.95. Also ordered a rib dinner which was very tasty.

We were even offered bean tempura and sweet potato fries on the house. Also ordered 2 Chu Hai...very refreshing drinks but too bad I barely tasted any alcohol. Will definitely Italy come back to sample other dishes again!

Reviewed January 26, 2017

We came here a bit too early for the cheap beer....$2.95 after 9pm.
We tried a Japanese brand beer, Hitachino, that was a bit pricey at $9.50 for a regular size bottle.
I had the spicy salmon don which was ok. The portion was small and not enough if you are super hungry. There were not a whole lot of salmon pieces in the bowl.

The sushi was also kinda pricey...the tuna sushi was $10 for 2 pieces and the salmon sushi was $6.00 for a pair. So in total $16.00 for four pieces of sushi is too lush for me. In other Japanese places, you can get an assortment of sushi for the same price.

My hubby ordered Chicken Katsu Don and he said it was ok. Again the portion was small and you might need to order two dishes to satisfy your hunger.

We also tried their gyoza which was tiny....we got 4 pieces for $3.95. I don't know why Japanese restaurants fry their gyoza. Like the ones where the skin is still soft.

I like the decor which is new and of the moment. Not your usual Japanese type decorations. The booths are very cozy and private. Like the dark wood and paint and the usual knick knacks from Japan. The music was a bit loud but I guess they cater to young metro sexuals and under 30's.

Gave them a 4 star because the service was very good. Don't know if I will go back there again because I feel that my $$$ does not stretch far enough to feed my hungry tummy. There are lots of other Japanese restaurants where one dish is enough to fill me up.

Reviewed January 21, 2017 via mobile

Very cute place on Eglinton...we have been going here since it opened a couple of years ago and it has never disappointed! Excellent tempura with really attentive but not intrusive service...feels like we are going to our family home to eat every single time...they are our extended Japanese cuisine family! ☺

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed January 14, 2017 via mobile

Great selection of sashimi, was recommended the salmon and sea urchin as they were freshly delivered that day. Both went down so smooth and creamy. Would definitely go back again

Reviewed September 18, 2016

This place is one of the Izakaya bar in Toronto which is very famous in Japan.The interior of this place will make you feel that you are in Tokyo especially the tables at the back of the bar where you are sitting on the floor with your feet inside the opening underneath the table.We went there as a family celebrating my daughters birthday.It is a Saturday and the wait for the food to come is a little disappointment as it took forever but they were nice enough to apologize and gave us a couple of starters on the house.The food is great and mostly authentic,I know as I lived in Japan for 10 years.Overall,the experience is very nice!

Date of visit: September 2016