“Stylish Japanese Eatery & Bar”
Review of Sake Bar Kushi

Sake Bar Kushi
Ranked #2,645 of 10,305 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Pub
Neighborhood: Old Toronto
Description: Japanese Charcoal BBQ restaurant.
Reviewed January 26, 2017

We came here a bit too early for the cheap beer....$2.95 after 9pm.
We tried a Japanese brand beer, Hitachino, that was a bit pricey at $9.50 for a regular size bottle.
I had the spicy salmon don which was ok. The portion was small and not enough if you are super hungry. There were not a whole lot of salmon pieces in the bowl.

The sushi was also kinda pricey...the tuna sushi was $10 for 2 pieces and the salmon sushi was $6.00 for a pair. So in total $16.00 for four pieces of sushi is too lush for me. In other Japanese places, you can get an assortment of sushi for the same price.

My hubby ordered Chicken Katsu Don and he said it was ok. Again the portion was small and you might need to order two dishes to satisfy your hunger.

We also tried their gyoza which was tiny....we got 4 pieces for $3.95. I don't know why Japanese restaurants fry their gyoza. Like the ones where the skin is still soft.

I like the decor which is new and of the moment. Not your usual Japanese type decorations. The booths are very cozy and private. Like the dark wood and paint and the usual knick knacks from Japan. The music was a bit loud but I guess they cater to young metro sexuals and under 30's.

Gave them a 4 star because the service was very good. Don't know if I will go back there again because I feel that my $$$ does not stretch far enough to feed my hungry tummy. There are lots of other Japanese restaurants where one dish is enough to fill me up.

Date of visit: January 2017

Reviewed January 21, 2017 via mobile

Very cute place on Eglinton...we have been going here since it opened a couple of years ago and it has never disappointed! Excellent tempura with really attentive but not intrusive service...feels like we are going to our family home to eat every single time...they are our extended Japanese cuisine family! ☺

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed January 14, 2017 via mobile

Great selection of sashimi, was recommended the salmon and sea urchin as they were freshly delivered that day. Both went down so smooth and creamy. Would definitely go back again

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed September 18, 2016

This place is one of the Izakaya bar in Toronto which is very famous in Japan.The interior of this place will make you feel that you are in Tokyo especially the tables at the back of the bar where you are sitting on the floor with your feet inside the opening underneath the table.We went there as a family celebrating my daughters birthday.It is a Saturday and the wait for the food to come is a little disappointment as it took forever but they were nice enough to apologize and gave us a couple of starters on the house.The food is great and mostly authentic,I know as I lived in Japan for 10 years.Overall,the experience is very nice!

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed June 1, 2016

My husband and I love going to Sake Bar Kushi. It is a typical izakaya that begins with enthusiastic yelling as you walk out the door. There is a huge selection of sakes, and the food menu is even more expansive. There are traditional Japanese foods like okinomiyaki and yakitori, in addition to sushi, etc. We have traveled to Japan before and this place is the closest we've come to recreating the atomosphere anywhere else! The service is wonderful and they often bring us extra treats from the chef. Highly recommend!

Date of visit: April 2016