“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Osteria dei Ganzi - CLOSED

Osteria dei Ganzi
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Bar, Pizza, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: between Wellesley and Bloor
Transit: Wellesley Subway stop or Bloor subway.
Description: Set in a 120 year old historical mansion, Ganzi offers casual italian dinning experience, with focus on quality food, exceptional service and affordability. Our menu features classic dishes made according to the traditional recipes, with DOP certified ingredients imported straight from Italy. In true Osteria fashion, our wine menu is equally authentic and robust; featuring privately imported regional Italian wines which we are proud to offer by the glass.
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I recently went to Ganzi for dinner the atmosphere was amazing, the location was absolutely beautiful, and the waiters were very professional and kind. The food and drinks were incredibly delicious for the price and the pizza made me feel like I was back in Italy. I would recommend this place to anyone! Loved it!!!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank IvyDom

Toronto
“Missed on so many levels . . .”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

I was actually hoping that this restaurant would be good considering the location in a historic mansion and the great patio (for warmer months). They certainly toot their own horn - bragging about an award winning mixologist and DOP ingredients and superb pastry chef. But do they deliver? No, no and no! The drinks we tried were mediocre at best. The Pom Pom was okay, but the white lady was not good at all. They were out of clamato, so we couldn't get a Caesar. Really??? At 7 pm on a Saturday??? What??? Something's definitely amiss with the ordering. So, the drinks were disappointing, but we came here for the food, right? Authentic ingredients and an Italian chef - how can you go wrong? Let me count the ways. We started with the 'misto' plate of meats and cheeses. Since none of the meats and cheeses were made in house, I will not spend time on those. There were two sauces (made in house) served on the plate. One was a piccante sauce which had a bit of a kick, but had lousy flavor. The other was a preserve/chutney type sauce which was okay. The crostini served were rock hard and we had trouble biting into them. The arancini were crispy on the outside, which was great, but the flavor of the sauce in the middle was disappointing. So, on to the mains. The pappardelle arrived with most of the pasta stuck together. The sauce was watery and the entire dish lacked seasoning. The lobster was overdone and rubbery as well. This was mentioned to the waitress and the dish was promptly removed. However, it was not removed from the bill!!! They brought over a complimentary small portion of ravioli which no one touched or wanted. The pasta arriabiata was a little spicy, but when we asked for more spice, we were told that they sometimes have spicy oil, but not tonight. Again, on a Saturday you don't have spicy oil? You serve pizza without spicy oil? The waitress brought over some dried chilies and more of the piccante sauce that we didn't like on our appetizer plate. Another strange thing - no cheese was offered for this pasta, only fresh ground pepper. The veal saltimbocca was okay as was the lamb shank. The osso buco however was dry and had very little marrow. Why order osso buco if not for the decadent sauce and marrow? In addition to this, we were told that the mains were served with seasonal vegetables. They came with asparagus. The season for asparagus is spring, isn't it? Oops! Now, dessert! We were told how amazing the pastry chef is and that the tiramisu will be the best you've ever had - guaranteed. Wrong again. It was watery and had no flavor. Yet, this was probably one of the better desserts. The cheesecake tasted like tofu - tasteless and the cannoli had a rock hard crust and also had no flavor. Even the coffee left something to be desired. This place was such a disappointment.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank ChefMD
“WRONG ATMOSPHERE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Housed in a fabulous old, historic house on Jarvis St. it boasts an impressive Italian menu....
A friend and I decided to go...we had the Lamb Shank and it was fabulous and the price was right. The veg however was so hard it was nearly uncooked. Still a wonderful meal and the wine was fabulous too. We looked at other and wished we had shared a Pizza as a starter instead of the really great salad. The downside to Ganzi is it has NO ITALIAN ATMOSPHERE other than three vulgar concept posters of Italian big busted women. The chairs are typical Chinese restaurant...it was like someone decided to stick a lot of chairs and tables in their ground floor.
Need a major Set Dressing to make you feel Cozy de Ganzi...it is all period hardwood so the rooms are echoing a mass of noise...need some Italian style giant carpets to absorb the noise.
I'm sure they could copy one of a million photo's of an Italian restaurant interior which are famous for Atmosphere while you eat. Desert...was as good as it gets...don't waste the talent of the chef and staff on a boring interior....the old house concept has never worked for the last five restaurants...consult a designer for ideas...start with a bit of color.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Busy night in Toronto but they weren't too busy to make us welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

They were VERY busy and we arrived without a reservation and they were overwhelmingly attentive. Perfect night as it was my sister's birthday. The wait staff were terrific. Bosco was great. Thanks for a great night.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank GillianHar2014
“Not bad!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had the opportunity to visit Ganzi Osteria this summer for an event. As many have pointed out, the home/restaurant is gorgeous. I had the opportunity to sample an array of dishes, but I was not a big fan of the donut, but only because I do not like marmalade. In fact, almost everyone at the event loved the donuts so don't take my word for it. Besides the donuts, I can't think of a dish I did not enjoy.

In the middle of the event I did something to my camera and could not figure out how to fix it. A staff member noticed my distress and she and several others came over to help me. Not only was the staff professional, but they went out of their way to make my night a great one. Now that I know about this restaurant, I will certainly be returning.

Yes, I have noticed that many reviewers have had some issues with this restaurant. This restaurant is pretty new and it is my feeling that they are working hard on smoothing out the kinks. That said, I can see why many diners would be apprehensive about dining here. If you are not sure about ordering a whole meal here, then at least check-out their bar. It's pretty awesome!

**This review is about the food I had during the event I attended. I cannot speak for their day-to-day dishes. I do hope that the food we had at the event (quality of ingredients, taste and look) is what they are serving on a daily basis.

• Visited August 2013