“Lunch outside in the sun was ok!”

L'Espresso Bar Mercurio
Ranked #20 of 144 Coffee & Tea in Toronto
Neighborhood: Midtown
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were on our way to the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and decided to stop for a quick lunch. Angus Steak Burger and Chips were fine, and while the fries were especially prepared - I noted from an earlier review complaining about the chips/fries, when in fact this was how they were meant to be served with this dish, slight soft and smothered in the gravy, rather than deep fried and crispy.

You need to order and pay inside. The service was fine, with additional water brought to us by the waiter. We enjoyed Expresso coffee which we had to collect. Overall we thought the food was a little overpriced. The positive was our ability to sit outside in the sun.

1  Thank Adelaide_Hills
There are newer reviews for L'Espresso Bar Mercurio

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My first visit in months, and I found myself disappointed. My salade nicoise contained neither anchovies nor nicoise olives, and if it wasn't dressed with a vinaigrette the quantity must have been tiny. I've had their sandwiches in the past, and they have generally been very good; perhaps I should have ordered one this time. The cheesecake for dessert was good, and so was the cappucino, so I don't want to mark the place down to poor, but other visitors, be warned.

1  Thank operalover939
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I have eaten here a couple of times during our current Toronto visit and even though it's on the expensive side, we've always been happy with the quality of the food. This morning, we went for breakfast and I placed our order at the bar, which is how ordering is done. During my transaction, a person standing next to me kept talking to the woman taking my order. When it arrived at our table, my husband's order was incorrect. The helpful server who brought us our food said she would bring him the correct order. After a couple of minutes, the woman who took my order came over and accused me of ordering something other than what I had ordered! Needless to say, it ruined our breakfast. Tomorrow we'll be eating someplace else.

1  Thank CanuckDC
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Personnel are very pleasant and the inside and outside areas of this locale are inviting and comfortable. Behind the counter area appears well maintained and what you can see of the kitchen looks tidy and clean with personnel wearing appropriate attire for that area. HOWEVER, I asked for an ice tea and specifically asked if it was sweetened and was informed "no". It was indeed sweetened and offered in a slim glass filled readily with ice. Tasty but way overpriced. I ended up asking for a glass of water as I was still thirsty. I also asked for three small cookies from the display case. Nothing fancy but some almond crescent type and an almond crisp. In the states, most on-site baked items are considered old and end of day and would not be served the following day(they were closing in 1/2 hour). They are sometimes offered at a small discount as well. I was surprised to discover that these 3 small tea size cookies cost $5.00! Absurd! Average quality and small size. I've ordered a small cookie plate of (4) at a pricey Beverly Hills locale and paid that or less for freshly baked items. Not sure how their regular menu items are but I would NOT recommend this locale for bakery items. In addition, a locale that doesn't offer freshly baked items on a daily basis has extended the shelf time of products that are already stale on the next business day which is not fair to the customer.

1  Thank SMGalNewDiscoveries
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The concierge at my hotel recommended this cafe for breakfast. I enjoyed the place, very well located, two blocks down from beautiful Yorkville Avenue and all its shopping and galleries, etc. Close to the Royal Ontario Museum. The staff was rather indifferent, but otherwise I enjoyed the wonderful oatmeal with lots of nuts and dried fruits. It is very European in style, and I guess their coffee is good but I had a chai latte that was a little bland. Lots of seating place, order at the counter, pay and eat.
Fast service and extended menu. I would go back anyway.